HELP installing front suspension

-

roylerumble

Reaction score
Need help finding some instruction on installing the front suspension. Car is an abandoned project, was completely dissassmbled with the intent to restore. I need some help bolting in the front suspension. Everything is there, strut rods, rebuilt uppers, lowers, breaks, sway bar, etc.

My question is does anyone know where I can find "directions" on the order to install the parts? Do you install the tortion bars in the lowers when they are at the lowest point of travel so there's no load on the bars? Do you install the lower to the tortion bar then bolt them to the k frame?

Any instruction, links, diagrams, torque specs, tips would be greatly appreciated!

Not that it will differ much, but what are you working on? You might find a FSM available...
I would start by assembling the upper control arm and hanging it on the car. Next, assem. the LCA and hang it on the car and connect the two. Then the strut rods, last the torsion bar. And yes, LCA needs to be at it's lowest point, and then some, when you slide the torsion bar in. Torsion bar comes in through the cross member first.
C

Make sure to install the strut rod and LCA at the same time. If you just install the LCA then try to install the strut rod, there won't be enough room to slide the strut rod in. I learned that lesson several times.

it's a 69 swinger with a 73+ front end.

I hung the upper first, then bolted the lower to the k frame, and then ran into the problem that I couldn't put the strut rod in (73 Swinger you are right).

So from what I'm reading, now that the upper is in, slide the torsion bar in from the rear of the cross member, insert it into the lower which will have the strut rod bolted to it and bolt them up? At this time there should be NO LOAD on the tortion bar? The steering knucke (already completly assembled with rotor, caliper, lower ball joint) should now just fit in to the upper and lower?

Yeah, lca and strut at the same time, then torsion, no load. Remember, after load on, front nut 130 ft lbs.

-
Back