Help!! Insurance not paying to fix!!!

-
I worked in an autobody shop in michigan and here the insurance companies have to settle your claim within a year. Most people dont know this and believe me if you play hardball like i do you will get everything covered.
Dont settle for what they want to give you, wait it out and youll get what you deserve.
I put in a front windshield on my 69 coronet and got it from hendersons glass here in mi. for $144.73
They do have a website just type in your search henderson glass

you can get a lock strip,,at many places,,altho it will be a little more modern,

JC WHITNEY use to sell it,,you can get it on e bay,,,or at laysons,,

it was used on dodge/chevy pick ups and vans, in the late 1970s thru 1980s

your factory lock strip was covered with a sliver/chrome mylar tape and was as thin as the foil that chewing gum is wrapped in,,

the pick up stuff is chromed under the top coating or plastic lasts much longer and doesnt peel off like th mylar orignal stuff did,, you can probably pick it up for less then 50 bucks ,,
im trying to find one of my older gaskets i have a instruction from some one on what to clean the orignal wind shield gasket with to soften it up,,,
your local glass shop may be able to tell you what to do to soften it up, to reuse it,, or call one of the vendors,, like soft seal,,they may tell you since they cant sell you a gasket if it doesnt exsist

you can get a lock strip,,at many places,,altho it will be a little more modern,

JC WHITNEY use to sell it,,you can get it on e bay,,,or at laysons,,

it was used on dodge/chevy pick ups and vans, in the late 1970s thru 1980s

your factory lock strip was covered with a sliver/chrome mylar tape and was as thin as the foil that chewing gum is wrapped in,,

the pick up stuff is chromed under the top coating or plastic lasts much longer and doesnt peel off like th mylar orignal stuff did,, you can probably pick it up for less then 50 bucks ,,
im trying to find one of my older gaskets i have a instruction from some one on what to clean the orignal wind shield gasket with to soften it up,,,
your local glass shop may be able to tell you what to do to soften it up, to reuse it,, or call one of the vendors,, like soft seal,,they may tell you since they cant sell you a gasket if it doesnt exsist
Update! Still waiting on PPG Vintage to supply my newest glass shop with a quote on seal & glass. Do't know where the guy is with my quote.....He's still not back from a car show. Was supposed to be back 2 days ago! The lock strip quote still has not arrived. The guy there was at a car show all weekend too! Whatever............ Now going on 6 weeks. Still trying to go through glass shop & LINX. The Ins. co. said if I am not satisfied, I can go ahead and open a claim and an adjuster would see the car and then settle. I would then do work myself. More soon to come. Thanks for all sugestions from everyone. I check everything out. Oh! phone ringing it's the glass shop!bye.......

67 only glass & gaskets & lockstrips are hard to get. Have you looked into using 68 - up glass & gaskets. I just got a new windshield & gaskets for my 68 with no problem.I've heard of people using the 68 -up on 67's because the 67 stuff was not readily availible.Just a thought to speed the process.

Ted

Uou should have comprehensive for the glass. If you have the deductable they pay minus the deductable. I'm sure Allstate as well State Farm have glass shops under contract with them to do glass. You need to check your policy

67 only glass & gaskets & lockstrips are hard to get. Have you looked into using 68 - up glass & gaskets. I just got a new windshield & gaskets for my 68 with no problem.I've heard of people using the 68 -up on 67's because the 67 stuff was not readily availible.Just a thought to speed the process.

Ted
Have thought about that but car not set up for reveal moldings. (metal over rubber) The 67 is kind of like 66 & before but uses a 1 year only gasket and lockstrip. It's F shaped cross section....
Update: Talked with glass co. They made a mistake and already had the windshield I needed shipped to them from PPG Vintage Group. I wish they sent the gasket too! Anyway all quotes are in. Links/Allstate needs to approve for NOS gasket & lockstrip. I already have the 4 corner pcs remfg. Looks like it's stringing out till next week. Good thing, I can't drive it to the glass shop now untill I get linkage figured out on the damn new carb. More to come! Well Off to the muddy junk yards, 2 in S.E. IN, then going over to N. KY, JUNKYARD TOUR TODAY!!

Update! I am dealing with a very helpful and nice glass shop in the Cincinnati area and will let you know what a fine job they do after it's done! (I hope) They have already received the wind shield!:cheers:
The Insurance company will still not approve the lock strip!
I guess Monday I will go through a different channel at the good empty hand people and start an actual "Damage" claim and see an adjuster and get a check cut. What a pain in the ***. All parts have been located and just waiting for the cheap *** hands people to come off of some of the money we have paid into them! below is the "copy" first and second letter sent to them with names deleted for the moment!

Hi P-----k,
Talked with you several weeks ago, yes I should have my windshield replaced by now it's been 6 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!
You had told me to find another glass shop and put through lynx again and you guys would approve. Well I finally found a glass shop to do it and located all the parts. They have turned in under new dispatch #3-------5 and Auth # 2--------0. Policy#9------------4
1967 Dodge Dart 4 Door Sedan, full coverage, full time driver.
I want you to keep your word and get this approved NOW!!!!!
I should not have to wait this long to get my windshiel fixed. I have been paying into Allstate for over 30 years and A--a has been paying into for about 11 years. We have never had any claims except a couple of windshields over the years and they have only been minor problems.
We pay full coverage with comprehensive. This is the only glass shop I have been able to find that will do the job. We have located parts like we talked about a couple of weeks ago. Now is the time for you to write the check and you and linx won't approve?
I expect you to approve PRONTO, like NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Glass shop: F------ G----- S-----, Call R------ at 5----------4.
I expect this to be done by end of business TODAY! STOP DELAYING, GET OFF YOUR BUTTS AND FIX MY D--N WINDSHIELD NOW!
Get on it Now.
(signed 64dart170)

This is the second letter.................
P-----k,
Still have not heard from anyone at your end. J----n W----s is never in and NEVER returns calls. He referred me to K----- on his voice mail he recorded for this past Tuesday. Ki-----was out of the office as of this past Tuesday (you would have thought J----n would have checked into that before he referred all his calls to her). She won't be back until next Monday. What kind of fly by night operation are you running there?
K----a J---s had the misfortune of answering the phone at your office today when I started dialing random digits and got hold of her. She is now telling me that lynx is waiting for F------- glass to send in the quote for authorization. This has already been done!
I am also hearing on the phone through lynx reading the notes, out loud on the phone right now, (6:45pm EST) that you did get involved with this today (your name comes up in the notes) and you decided to
blow me off and not call me or return an email for current status. I gave you until end of business today, so, tomorrow morning, we are going to send a copy of our policy to our attorney for review and possible action. I will also will be getting in touch with our States Insurance Commissioners office in the morning.
I am also contacting our local TV (W---) H-----d A---e Trouble Shooter. He usually contacts everyone involved and puts the story on TV. I bet that's going to be great free advertising for A------e, the open empty hands people!
Have a great Life, I know I am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(My Wife) with A------e (no other Ins. Co.) for 26 years!
(myself) with A------e (no other Ins. Co.) for 32 years!

We can not believe we are being treated with this total RUN AROUND like this!!!!
How on earth would you ever handle a real loss like with my home that I have insured with you? Scary Thought!
It was really hard to justify paying our payments on premiums a couple of days ago. Would you keep paying insurance to a company who could not handle a simple windshield replacement????????????

(reguards 64dart170)

Well there's where we are at! Lets do some lite math not including other vehicles or home....just 2 cars at let's say $400.00 a year x 58 years combined total that's approx $23,200 that we have paid into The Good Empty Hands People! Ifin mah cyfrin is correct!!!!!!!!!!!!
More to come.......................................

ide march right on over to that office,,and let um have it,,call a main office,, i never had trouble with the good hands people,,27 or more years never a claim on my end,, but i have found more coverage for less,,and switched over,,
i once had a problem,kid rear ended me,at a school crosing,,his insurance was 3 days old,,off brand of insurance,,,so you can imagine,,i only wanted the cost of a new bumper it was a 6 month old truck,,,they screwed me around for 3 weeks,,, same story,,, i finally called some one up higher,,explained all the jerking around they are doing to me and then i asked him,,i said now you have a choice,, i can either go to the local news station,,or i can drive there in 25 minutes with a gun and blow ur fr,,,,king braines out,,, all i want is my bumper,, ill install the darn thing,,3 days i had a check,,

its a shame you have to threaten to get what is rightfully yours,,

They have totally ignored us! The glass shop is still trying. I'm giving them untill Wed. next week, if nothing by then I will start a regular damage claim and go through adjuster and get a check. If that doesn't work out for 2 weeks then it's time for the threats to become reality!

They have totally ignored us! The glass shop is still trying. I'm giving them untill Wed. next week, if nothing by then I will start a regular damage claim and go through adjuster and get a check. If that doesn't work out for 2 weeks then it's time for the threats to become reality!
Update: I know the new glass shop ( in Cincinnati ) is now keeping tabs on this thread.
Sense I have not heard from you sense last week I assume you are putting me on the back burner again. How bout checking into that lockstrip again, yea at the place I told you about for the price I told you about. You got till end of next week. Then you can restock all the parts you already have and give me my insurance check you've had sense LAST week! I sure hope you didn't endorse my name on the back and cash it already!!!!!!!!!
If you did...............................You (& I) have no idea what I would do over that $1100.00 Insurance check!!!:evil2:
:boxing:

Went to the glass shop today. They had the correct lockstrip from Stephens Mopar....Thanks Stephens! Did not get to see the windshield yet because the gasket is WRONG!!! The wrong one is precision #WCRD 691. For anyone who cares, this is for the 68 & 69 with reveil moldings and has a self locking flap on the gasket.
I think we will be cancelling the repair order and going ahead with opening a damage claim and just getting a check cut direct to us. I've got a windshield & gasket at junk yard for $50.00!
I sat there for an hour while the glass company took lessons from me on correct vs. incorrect gasket!!!
I give up!!!!
Hey good empty hands people, just give me the money and I'll worry about the windshield replacement myself!! (I can't beleive they wanted to go ahead and remove the windshield to SEE if the gasket was the right one! My word, I can't beleive the stupid crap that goes on! What if I was dumb enough to let them do that and they f'ed up my orig gasket? I would have been in a crap rainstorm with no gasket or winshield in the car 40 miles away from home! Pass the motorcycle goggles!!!! Morons!!!!!!
Just so everone knows, Precision does not make a gasket yet for front windshield for 67 dart 4 door. They are working on it but not done yet. More to come later, sorry to say!!!
Who do I send the receipt to for the fuel I wasted to drive there and back????

Well, after reading this post I decided to try Haggerty's. I wanted an insurance company like AAA, because they never questions me even when I totalled my audi or any other accident or rock chip. They trust me and I trust them. I called Haggerty, they were excellent on the phone, instilled trust in me about there company. They are well connected in the industry and have a no hassle claim approach. I pay a very low amount of money a year, to cover a very substantial amount of money. I get my car out of the shop today, and it's immediately covered. It feels great. I haven't made a claim with them so I can't give you feedback, thus far I would say they are a great company. Thanks for the recommendation! That's why this site ROCKS!

Bad bad deal. Sorry you're going through all that. I tried to go with Al....te years ago when I had a Porsche. They took my money for the binder, then while I was out of town sent me a letter telling me they weren't going to cover the car. It seems that (at least at the time) they would NOT write a NEW policy on a "sports car". If you already had a policy they would ADD one, but not as a new customer.

Well, I caught a rock on the way out (while still covered by the binder) so they got to shell out over $300 for a new windshield.

Currently I have Amica. I'm very pleased. The Duster is covered by them, but by a subsidiary called American Collectors Insurance. What I don't know is if they would cover your car as a daily.

Good luck

I have Allstate. I have had a couple claims with no problems, but on newer cars. I had an inccident awhile ago which in volved me being sued for BS. w/ a insurance oh I'm hurt person. They were great. Sorry to hear about all the problems. To be realaistic, I would just pay for instead of the aggravation you are getting. I know that what the insurance co. want. But is it realy worth the few $$?

your local glass shop may be able to tell you what to do to soften it up, to reuse it,,
I've been told to soak the gasket in Formula 409 for a day.

I've been told to soak the gasket in Formula 409 for a day.
Update: The windshield is in! Bride of Frankenstein has a new set of shades!
Some more educating both of me in the beginning and them in the end. I did have to promise to help with the install or they wouldn't come out.
I used the 67 4 door gasket I got from the junk yard and cleaned it for 2 days......MINERAL SPIRITS!
This was also recomended by several members on this site and a glass shop. It worked great compaired to other things but still a mess.
Really had to keep an eye on the installer too. The gun lost a tip on the spot the crack was upper pass side and kind of droops there due to drying too fast for the rest of the sealer. I will post a thread of pics for step by step install. I also now have an extra gasket available to someone 67 dart 4 door, pm me if you're interested.
Hey guys, make sure to tell your insurance co if it's a daily driver like ours.
The fastest way to do in the future is to pay yourself, do the work yourself and file a damage claim with an adjuster and not try to go through the usual channels through the glass shop and LINXSERVICE! They are jerks and can bite me.
Thanks too, to the good empty hands people including my agent. All of whom have blown me off and chosen not to get back in touch with me! We will be taking our 50+ years of insurance payments somewhere else!!!!
Thanks to all the members, you're help is always appreaciated.8)
If anyone ever has any questions on windshields and applications on darts 63-70, just ask under body trim section. I will be taking the job of cutting through the glass BS for everyone who asks. I hope I will be of service!:cheers::-D

-
Back