Help! Intake manifold won't fit!

-
What bolts are you using for the center of the intake? I used 12 point bolts 3/8 head IIRC & a 12 point box end wrench.

Yes, if you use the 12 point smaller headed bolts you won't have as much interference when trying to tighten them & not take a chance of rounding off the head & scrathing up your intake. Just a thought from what I had to do, I'm not criticizing.

Yes, if you use the 12 point smaller headed bolts you won't have as much interference when trying to tighten them & not take a chance of rounding off the head & scrathing up your intake. Just a thought from what I had to do, I'm not criticizing.

Good thought. What I was going to use was a universal joint but they can be problematic sometimes. Let me price out some new bolts. Thanks.

I use stock bolts and a 9/16" wrench on the 4 centers, torque the other 8 and tighten the 4 centers in steps, and feel the torqued ones with the wrench. retighten a few times after running. I did not do any machining when my intake was high - did not want to lower the ports and spend the money. put engine in and had my friend stand on intake

Are you sure the heads a the correct year castings? The 64-66 heads are different from the 67 & later heads. That's the first thing I would check.

64 & 65 heads have the smaller bolt diameter and different angle, 66 was the common 3/8" bolts and angle...

kk, I had fat finger syndrome when I typed that. I'm not a fast typist & my thoughts run way ahead of my typing abilities. LOL

So do I just get .065 off both sides? How about the bottom?

Be careful how much you take off the intake... I had the same problem and my guy took .030" off the intake on both sides and now the intake is too narrow... I found some thicker gaskets that I will be trying to see if I can get them to seal...

Only take a little off the intake at a time...

kk, I had fat finger syndrome when I typed that. I'm not a fast typist & my thoughts run way ahead of my typing abilities. LOL

Why not go back and edit it so it's correct and someone doesn't get false information...

Be careful how much you take off the intake... I had the same problem and my guy took .030" off the intake on both sides and now the intake is too narrow... I found some thicker gaskets that I will be trying to see if I can get them to seal...

Only take a little off the intake at a time...

If you use a say...I don’t know let’s say a gasket that is .060 thick and the intake doesn’t fit, and you drop the intake on and it fits, you remove the amount of the gasket thickness PLUS whatever it takes to get the manifold straight.

It not complicated or hard. What you are suggesting is to run back to the machine shop several times to “sneak up on it” when that is a waste of time.

I charge 55 bucks a side to machine up to .020 off and after that it goes up. It’s crazy to do it two or three times.

If your machinist need to take of .035 and you were sure of your measurement, and then it didn’t fit, either your measurement was off, or you machinist screwed up.

Simple as that.

So I went with the Felpro roll of gasket material (thanks mderoy340!) and made my own. Fits perfectly now!! My last problem is the old temp sensor is way too small (npt maybe 1/8?) for the Performer hole (3/8 npt). Is there a different temp sensor I can use or should I get a reducer? Also the taller throttle cable bracket worked perfectly when I installed it. Thanks for everyones help!

So I went with the Felpro roll of gasket material (thanks mderoy340!) and made my own. Fits perfectly now!! My last problem is the old temp sensor is way too small (npt maybe 1/8?) for the Performer hole (3/8 npt). Is there a different temp sensor I can use or should I get a reducer? Also the taller throttle cable bracket worked perfectly when I installed it. Thanks for everyones help!
Just get a reducer at the hardware store. 1/8 NPT for oem sender.

Got the reducer on order (I wanted a black one). Thanks so much for everyone's input and sage advice. A few picks of the almost finished product. Now for the Doug's D453', Edelbrock AVS2 500 carb and it will be a runner!
20200430_151903.jpg
20200430_151917.jpg

So guess what!? I actually do have a hole that the temp sensor fits in! I thought it was blind hole but I put anti freeze in the car and guess where it came out?
Got the reducer on order (I wanted a black one). Thanks so much for everyone's input and sage advice. A few picks of the almost finished product. Now for the Doug's D453', Edelbrock AVS2 500 carb and it will be a runner!View attachment 1715519473 View attachment 1715519474
I feel like a dummy! I just need to tap the hole to get paint out of it and it should be perfect.

-
Back