Help me chose my color, red or black?

What color should I paint my Dart?

• Total voters
-

flyboy01

Its almost done!
Reaction score
OK, I have been killing myself trying to make this decision, and I still can't decide. I want to get your opinions please. If it is Black, then it will have a Red stripe and red interior. If it is red, then it will have a white stripe and either a red or black interior.

Choice 1:
34321.jpg

Choice 2:
redandwhite.jpg

34321.jpg

34321.jpg

redandwhite.jpg

redandwhite.jpg

Black, I am tired of "resale" red.

No offense to anyone that has an original red car.

Chuck

Red !! I would hate to wash and keep the swirls out of black.

Either would look great, black requires very good body work but looks killer if done right. I also like silver with red stripe and red interior :grin:

If you don't care to have the original color Black is Beautiful! Nothing beats a nice clean black car. A little harder to keep looking clean and nice,and as mentioned previously, you have to pay close attention to body work, prep and paint but that extra effort looks oh so good!

I had a black Dodge and it was beautiful. If you don't mind the upkeep I think black would look wicked, mean on your Dart.

Ooorrrr... I had another black car in which we put a tiny bit of red pearl in the clear coat. Now that was stunning. The car looked black most of the time but in certain sunlight you got deep red glows. Best of both worlds :)

I looked at both pictures. The one that stays in my mind is the black with the red rump stripe. Thats the one I'll remember, no matter which one you choose.:cool:

DSC00071 (Small).JPG

Aside from the extra pain of getting it to look good, black gets mighty hot down south. Probably not a consideration to you. But think of riding to the car show maybe. They always are in the summer.
That’s why I built a yellow A body with A/C to drive in the summer and a brown one for the winter.
That was my plan anyway. Life got in the way.

If the body is straight and the paint is done well NOTHING looks better than black.

P.S. Personally I would go with a black or tan interior in the black car.

Black with a red stripe gets my vote. With todays base/clear paints the clearcoat doesn't swirl like the old laquer and acrylic enamels. Go for black! toolmanmike

Aside from the extra pain of getting it to look good, black gets mighty hot down south. Probably not a consideration to you.
That is not really too much of a problem. Out of curiousity, a friend of mine put thermometers inside the back windows of his two cars- a black Charger with black interior and a B5 blue Road Runner with a white interior. By late afternoon the black car was at 116 degrees and the blue one was 112. Not a difference you would ever notice.

I voted for black. But think of silver with either black or
the red stripe. Also white with a red stripe. Just my opinoin.
But you know what they say about opinions. LOL

Both look really, really good.....Go red, blacks a ***** to care for, and those that say it's not are full of s***..hee-hee, the colour war is on!!:roll:

Black if the car is strait enough....Red if its not.

I voted black which is my favorite color. But I really like your original color too.
Bob

i voted red. my car is red with a black hood. EVERY little blemish shows on the hood. i spent 5 hours sanding w/ 1500 and then buffing. never again.

That is not really too much of a problem. Out of curiousity, a friend of mine put thermometers inside the back windows of his two cars- a black Charger with black interior and a B5 blue Road Runner with a white interior. By late afternoon the black car was at 116 degrees and the blue one was 112. Not a difference you would ever notice.

Now this is a remarkable thing. Certainly only among Chrysler enthusiast would there be inquiring minds that would use the scientific method on this problem.
Just can't figure a "Chevy" doing this.
At any rate I would imagine this is not in his decision process. He is probably more concerned with aesthetics.
Also I know from experience that a white interior is less “practical” than a black interior. If you are going to get in a car with work cloths, on black is the way to go.

I do wonder if there are not some variables, which are being overlooked in your experiment.

Number one: Were the thermometers in direct sunlight?
If so, it would seem to me that would mask the true ambient interior temperature and give artificially high readings in both cars. (The higher the reading the less the difference makes)

Number two: Were the thermometers calibrated? If not, one might read one or two degrees high and the other one or two degrees low. This might increase the differential by as much as four degrees. That then would be an 8-degee spread.

Number three: I assume the blue car was a dark blue. Perhaps B5? If the “control” car was yellow or white this might give another 4-degree difference between the dark blue (which is between black and white) and the lighter color. That again would give an 8-degree spread even at the high end. It might be more significant to the ambient. Just guessing.

Number four: This is not scientific, but I know even if I am not in direct sunlight I feel hotter in a dark cotton shirt then a light cotton shirt. That may have something to do with reflected or inferred light being absorbed.

Number five: Another variable is tinted glass. I couldn’t wait to put a tinted windshield in. You can really tell the difference driving. (Actually I did wait till I found a 20 dollar one in the junk yard after mine got a rock crack.)

And lastly,
Number six: When I come out on a hot day, I am certain that I can tell the difference between my yellow car with a white interior and my brown car with a black interior. And I leave my widows down.

All that being said, if the color is a toss up, I’ll take 80 over 85. I’ll take 90 over 95.

Ive been told so many times that black is a hassle to keep clean and yadda yadda yadda (lazies haha) but if you love your car, it wont matter how many times you gotta clean it, it should be fun after all its a treause not a honda civic lol, BLACK!!!!!!!!!

-
Back