Help me decide?

-

Valkman

Reaction score
I'm putting together a build for my 65 and I'm debating on what direction to go next.

What I want out of this build is a good streetable motor with good low to mid-range torque and Power still using a stock converter. I have a stock 904 automatic and a 3.23 Sure Grip rear end.

I have a 71 360 block, 340 rods, a 360 Crank that needs turning, 360 heads with 2.02 intake valves, and all the other components needed to put the motor together except for the pistons and the cam.

My question is: should I build up the 360 or spend another $400+ and put a stroker crank in it? In case I get the power bug later on and want more!

I'm sure many will chime in on this but for me I just fired my mild 408 and so far with just a little bit of parking lot driving I'm very impressed. I have a mild cam, lightly ported jheads and my 904 with 323s. I have a feeling it going to be a blast this spring! Absolute torque monster.

With a stock converter and 3.23 gears, your cam will remain on the small side. For that high torque at or just off of idle.
The belowcam is a just off of idle cam that would work excellent in a 360.

If you build a low compression engine, adding a super charger later would be a very powerful addition up top.

I have used a Crane cam at 216/228-.454/.480-112 - 1800 - 5400 rpm band. (as per Crane, Summits site list different numbers) with very good results. Below is a cam and lifter set in a 110.
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/crn-693941
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/crn-693942

(The above is more of a mention to duration at .050 than anything else.)

Building a stroker @ 400+ cubes, you could go up approx. 10*'s of duration and have the same effect of nearly off the line torque.
(Lower compression and a super charger option still viable)

My question is: should I build up the 360 or spend another $400+ and put a stroker crank in it? In case I get the power bug later on and want more!
that's kinda funny if you think about it - by virtue of the fact that you asked the question you already know the answer... spend the $$ now, do it once, do it right. Mine is a stroked 360 - it rumbles!

I should also mention that I'm looking to get about 400 hp without having to go to wild, not sure if ican achieve that with 360 cubes.

I should also mention that I'm looking to get about 400 hp without having to go to wild, not sure if ican achieve that with 360 cubes.
you're right - that much HP is a tall order for a 360 - even stroked to 408 a 360 needs other components to get there. As I just said, you already know what you need to do.

my 408 makes 423 horses, 470 footpounds
even with 3.23s its a blast to drive

727 with about 3200 stall converter
very nice converter too, will creep at idle but flash when stomped

You should be able to sleep walk to 400 hp with a 360.
huh - Street cruisers really can't ask for more than they'll find in ATK high performance Chrysler 360 290HP stage 3 crate engines. Retrofitted Magnum 360s produce 35+ more horsepower than the LA 360 engines--and they have the benefit of hydraulic roller camshaft/lifter systems. A few more facts and figures: 4.040 bore x 3.850 stroke; hypereutectic 9.1 pistons; moly rings; OE rods; 385+ torque; dyno-tested and tuned.

So a stock LA 360 was about 250HP - getting another 150 outta that ain't just a few bolt ons...

Last edited:
I have a 3500 stall with a wild cam 340 I have in the car now, and I hate it. My wife is going drive this car and I along with her, don't like the lumpy lurchy nature of it. This is every bit a driver.

I have a 3500 stall with a wild cam 340 I have in the car now, and I hate it. My wife is going drive this car and I along with her, don't like the lumpy lurchy nature of it. This is every bit a driver.
why not stroke the 340 and back off on the cam?

Build the stroker, you'll never regret it. Don't buy an eagle cast crank though.

huh - Street cruisers really can't ask for more than they'll find in ATK high performance Chrysler 360 290HP stage 3 crate engines. Retrofitted Magnum 360s produce 35+ more horsepower than the LA 360 engines--and they have the benefit of hydraulic roller camshaft/lifter systems. A few more facts and figures: 4.040 bore x 3.850 stroke; hypereutectic 9.1 pistons; moly rings; OE rods; 385+ torque; dyno-tested and tuned.
Are you selling these create engines or saying that I or he can not build a better one without issues or streetabilty problems with a low gear ratio?

So a stock LA 360 was about 250HP - getting another 150 outta that ain't just a few bolt ons...
With the proper bolt ons, and a cam, no problem.
If you think it can't be done, that's fine.
I'll just move along then because you know so much. Please, have at it.

Valkman, you are now in the ultra very capable hands of ScampMike.
Good luck!

Edit, spelling

Last edited:
Are you selling these create engines or saying that I or he can not build a better one without issues or streetabilty problems with a low gear ratio?

With the proper bolt ons, and a cam, no problem.
If you think it can't be done, that's fine.
I'll just move along then because you know so much. Please, have at it.

Valkman, you are no in the ultra very capable hands of ScampMike.
Good luck!
get off it will ya

Get off what?!?!

You assume to much on so many things.
Wake up!!!!!

Okay all let's get along, everyone has their way at looking at things. I ask, then I listen and take it all in, and then form my own opinion.

Oh! So say cool with that!!!

Not so cool with doubt on making 400hp with bolt on parts and a cam.
Someone needs to wake the frak up and smell the coffee. Once he does, HE will provide you with a combo.

(Because he's so smart!)

Is that in it enough for ya Mike?
I can keep going if ya want. Ride ya like a 50 cent ***** all day.

Get off what?!?!

You assume to much on so many things.
Wake up!!!!!
your high horse - OBVIOUSLY. Maybe instead of getting all jacked up and going off, you could actually back up what you propose - you know, have a mature intelligent debate. I have given two examples of built 360's - one struggles to make 300HP and one that comes in over that 400HP #. I am not going to make your "argument" for you - you tell us what you're talking about.

-
Back