help me replace my acadia

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
no, im not looking for donations (though i wont turn them down) but i need options

im looking to replace our 08 acadia with something similar
i love the options and size of this vehicle but the build qaulity is just not there

right now, the ONLY vehicle that has caught my eye is the durango, maybe 2015 and up?

so, here is what im looking for
size: i have a family of 5, which includes my mother in law, who goes with us just about everywhere i go
this means i need 3 rows of seating PLUS enough cargo space behind the third row

i want AWD because we get snow and i want a towing package for the boat

im leaning towards the citadel with the "hemi" because i want something that scoots and i dont really care about mileage

now, i wouldnt mind a v6 with spunk, actually the 3.5 in the acadia moves that truck along just fine

so, what are you guys' thoughts?

any reasons NOT to get the durango?
any other trucks i should look at?

I just went through this last year as my wife wanted something larger than the Charger to haul the kids and their friends around. I was really leaning towards the Durango also. Loved the look of it and have been very happy with the Charger. I spent a week going to different dealers every day and test driving different SUV's . When I test drove the Durango it felt like home since everything was laid out like the Charger. The downside for me was the actual leg room in the 2nd and third row. In the Citadel I believe you can only get the captain's chairs in the second row and the third row will fit two small children. The seat bottom is almost on the floor. It was like they extended the roof of the Charger and threw a seat between the wheel wells for the third row.
I would up narrowing it down between the Honda Pilot and the Nissan Pathfinder. Both had decent room. Wound up with the Pathfinder in the end as Honda wasn't interested in making a deal under list. We have had it for almost a year and she loves it. The only downfall to it is the buttons and radio controls are not as easy to use as the Dodge.

I've been seeling cars for 30+ years and I have to say that Honda makes the best average priced products.
I forgot about the Pilot.... Better people mover than the MDX and less money.
Are you looking to go new or used ?

looking to get used, i really dont want to be the one paying the write off

Got a 2016 Toyota Highlander about 6 months ago. We thought it rode better than the Durango, really like it so far. Has #5000 towing capacity but I haven't pulled anything with it yet. I wouldnt call the third seat roomy, but it's ok for kids.we got the 2nd row captains chairs so can stretch legs between them if your bigger.

Highlander is a good rig as well.

Be careful about automatically assuming a used car will always be cheaper. You could get burned.... The Highlander and Pilot will be almost as much 2 years old as a new one. Do the research before pulling the trigger.

The thing about those 2 vehicles is that you can put 150k miles on them and the public will still stand in line to buy them.
Think of them as the Japanese version of a Cummins Deisel ! lol

I have a '12 Durango. We love it. Only has the V6 but it's plenty peppy, even up and down the Pennsylvania hills. I wouldn't pull my boat with it though (19ft V-hull bowrider), got a truck for that. I really wanted the Hemi but it was about a $5K jump. Had it two years now with zero issues.

I have a 2011 Traverse. All wheel drive. Pretty much a truck with a car body. Was easy to throw on a hitch and harness.. It's not bad, just a little pricey.

I love the looks of the new Grand Cherokees but never drove one and not sure that they're 3 row seaters.

I love the looks of the new Grand Cherokees but never drove one and not sure that they're 3 row seaters.
I went through something similar. We had a second kid, so the Challenger wasn't really working. I test drove a Durango and it was uncomfortable for me and my wife in the front, and didn't really seem to have much room for passengers or cargo. Reading about it they are only 9 inches longer that the Jeep Cherokee. So they everything felt really tight and closed in, 9 inches is not enough to add an extra row of seats.

I drive a Caravan for work, I don't think it drives as well as the Hemi Durango did, but It does fairly well with the V6 and it is roomy. Way less claustrophobic feeling for me.

I ended up buying a 1964 Power Wagon Town Panel. It's 4x4 and gigantic. Life is too short to drive boring crap. :) I probably would have went for the Durango if it was just a little bit bigger.

We looked at the Acadia before we bought our Honda Pilot. My wife actually pointed out the "cheap" feeling of it, so we passed.

We ended up with an 09 Honda Pilot it has a 3rd row and we love it.

for some reason my brother in law swears by honda (i only swear at them)
hes got 3 in his driveway...but i would love to stay american

i wish fiat would bring back the grand wagoneer

Ill be upgrading to a newer generation grand caravan myself. What was it 280 or so up.
My landlord has a Chevy traverse that looks like it has some decent room and a 3rd row

My wife drives a 2016 Traverse and it's amazing. It's a really peppy V6 and has tons of room. We have the captain chairs first 2 rows and it's super easy to get into and out. It tows as well. I'm planning to have a hitch installed and pull a popup camper. Might have issue with pulling a boat out.

I'm looking at used Durango R/T with the hemi for a replacement for my truck. I like the hemi as it's cheaper I like the body colour moldings and grill.

Riddler

for some reason my brother in law swears by honda (i only swear at them)
hes got 3 in his driveway...but i would love to stay american

i wish fiat would bring back the grand wagoneer

We have had nothing but good luck with our Honda's. My wife had a 99 accord that had over 200k miles on it when we sold it. Only trouble we had with it was an 02 sensor. We now have an 08 accord 4dr and the 09 Pilot.

The trouble with staying American, is hardly anything is really made and/or built here anymore. I would have opted for the Durango, but the only motor worth a Damn is the Hemi and I couldn't stomach the mileage for a daily. The new 3.6, I have heard is a nice motor though.

We have had nothing but good luck with our Honda's. My wife had a 99 accord that had over 200k miles on it when we sold it. Only trouble we had with it was an 02 sensor. We now have an 08 accord 4dr and the 09 Pilot.

The trouble with staying American, is hardly anything is really made and/or built here anymore. I would have opted for the Durango, but the only motor worth a Damn is the Hemi and I couldn't stomach the mileage for a daily. The new 3.6, I have heard is a nice motor though.

my days of worrying about mileage are well over
there was a time the missus and i drove 50 miles in the opposite direction, per person, per day
(as in, 100 mile round trip times to, me to work, and her to school)

nowadays, the furthest we have to go on a regular bases is my boys school, 10 miles on way, and after this schoolyear he will change to a different school which is closer, so mileage really inst a deal breaker

Well this put a hurry on things
One of the issues the acadia was having was an intermittent no oil pressure warning

I figured it's probably a bad switch, gm is kinda known for that

So, ordered a new switch online, bought the socket for it and got to work
Not too hard to get the old one out, once you remove the oil filter

Got the new one on, easy peasy snug, snug, snap

Darn thing snapped of, right under to colar, so now I just have a piece of pipe sticking in there

It will have to get towed to a shop on Monday and I'll take it from there

20170429_202208.jpg

-
Back