Help me spend my money!

-

Brandon Weaver

Reaction score
What does everyone use for an AFR? I'd like to keep it below $200, and I'm just trying to tune the Holley on my slant (who knew long runner big plenum intakes were so fun?!:banghead::violent1:) Would a narrowband, however primitive and simple it may be, work well enough to justify what I'm doing, and save some dollars along the way?

Get a wide band ! They are under $200 for the more basic ones. I'm going to get one also this winter

Narrow band is worthless. Forget about it. I have an Innovate, but I bought this long enough ago, that my opinion may not matter. That is, nowadays, there may be better / cheaper for the buck setups

At the time, I thought it was great.

I no longer use the Commander 950 ECU, with which I integrated the Innovate setup

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=209528

in this post here

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=1969726976&postcount=53

I've since converted the system to a Holley HP ECU, which has it's own O2 wideband

attachment.php

The main 'cheaper' systems that I've found are
FAST Anolog - from Summit, $160
AEM - Ebay, $160ish+
Innovate MTX-L - from Innovate, 200; Ebay, $160ish+
GlowShift - $185
AutoMeter- $185
14point7 - $160
PLX - $180

The AEM and Innovate are the most popular ones from what I can tell, with some using PLX. I just can't decide which one would be right for me.

67Dart273, could you read both banks or just one when you had your Innovate?

Do these gauges normally include the weld in bung and sensor?

Narrow band reads stoich and thats about it. When do you want stoich? Hardly ever...cruise should be a little lean, power should be a little fat. Better than nothing but hardly worth the effort when widebands are under $150. You can use spark plug antifoulers for bungs.

How about under a hundred including a 4.9 sensor? A board member from another DIY board
http://www.14point7.com/products/slc-free.

Look at option C

Ah, 14point7. I had heard about them, but forgot to mention them.

The one that I would want, though, (http://www.14point7.com/products/slc-gauge) would be the same price as the others, as i would want a 2" gauge I could put in a pod. Also, I had heard some not so great reviews on them, but they say they come with a 2 year warranty, and money back. Definitely a viable option.

What ever you do, don't get the Innovate LM-2. It is a huge POS. I just sunk $700+ dollars into one with the all of the adapters I need - two O2 sensors, tailpipe clamps so it can be transfered from vehicle to vehicle, harness extensions, inductive clamp, and the module. It is my understanding that the other Innovate products are ok, but this one isn't and there are known problems with this model. I sure wish I had searched reviews on the web before I bought this. It gives very erratic O2 readings at idle, the inductive clamp doesn't work to read RPM's, datalogging locks up, and reading/clearing vehicle codes works sometimes. After trying this out on my car this past weekend (and just outside of the 30 day return policy), the problems I read about on the web with this is the same problems everyone else experiences. O2 readings are so inconsistent, I would not trust the readings at all.

What ever you do, don't get the Innovate LM-2. It is a huge POS. I just sunk $700+ dollars into one with the all of the adapters I need - two O2 sensors, tailpipe clamps so it can be transfered from vehicle to vehicle, harness extensions, inductive clamp, and the module. It is my understanding that the other Innovate products are ok, but this one isn't and there are known problems with this model. I sure wish I had searched reviews on the web before I bought this. It gives very erratic O2 readings at idle, the inductive clamp doesn't work to read RPM's, datalogging locks up, and reading/clearing vehicle codes works sometimes. After trying this out on my car this past weekend (and just outside of the 30 day return policy), the problems I read about on the web with this is the same problems everyone else experiences. O2 readings are so inconsistent, I would not trust the readings at all.

Actually, I've heard quite a bit of negative on most of Innovate's widebands, with the MTX-L being the only one with not as much bad.
I've also read the import guys don't have much luck with the 14point7.
The only bad I hear about the PLX is some say it's a little slower, but I don't know if that's the latest ones (gen 3 & 4) or not.
Most everyone likes the AEM, I've noticed that whenever someone says its a little off, they are comparing it to another wideband. I don't feel like that's a true standard...
And nothing for reviews on the FAST, AutoMeter, or GlowShift.

im running the aem uego. really happy with it. super easy to install. pretty much plug and play.

I've always used the AEM UEGO on all my builds. They are very accurate but cannot data log. Just watch it on the dyno and if it goes lean back off and add more fuel at WOT.

Riddler

Riddler, I heard this about it:

"Oh, and logging A/F ratio in Evoscan with the AEM is pretty simple. Just a matter of buying a female serial connector, a serial-to-USB converter, and soldering a couple of wires."

-
Back