Help me understand these "crash" videos?

-

now, this must have been about 2 decades ago

i lived in a tiny little village (not quite a hamlet) but on the outskirts of town it had a combined Duch USAF base
(if i remember correctly, the 703rd munitions support squadron was stationed there)
as a result, we had a rather healthy police presence in the village AND the military police actually had the authority to address civil infraction within a certain radius of their base (nothing like getting pulled over for speeding by two "cops" carrying HK417s)

i remember one particular foggy night, we were gonna go to one of our favorite bar, a few villages over
like i said, it was foggy, and the windows in my car were all fogged up, but there was beer to be drunk (drank? drinked?) so we blasted some maiden and got on our way

as im driving i pull out the little backroads by my house, on the main drag and stop at the intersection by the airforce base
needless to say, this is a dead end, unless you got clearance to get onto the base, which we clearly did not have...no worries, i had to turn left anyway
so i stop, and roll down my window, trying to see where in the world im going (did i mention it was foggy?)
as im slowly rolling towards the intersection, i see the big white stripe across the road, which indicates there is a stop sign coming

good, i got my bearings, so i roll past the stripe and gun it (did i mention there was beer to be drank?)

as im accelerating away from the intersection and on my way to the bar i dont get more then 10 feet, and the road just dissapears from underneath the front of the car, the back end gets flung up and we hit a dead stop, at about a 45 degree angle

me and my buddy look at each other like Whiskey Tango Foxtrott and we get out to check what in the world just transpired
before we could make it out of the car, there were bright lights at the front and passenger side window
i get out and shield my eyes to the lights, and we could just make out about a dozen MPs looking at us over the barrel of their HK417s and they were not happy to see us

it took us a while to figure out that as i approached the intersection i may have gone over into the oncoming lane and rolled across the intersection all together
when i rolled down my window and saw the white stripe, it was actually the white stripe for the lane exiting the airforce base, and when i gunned it, i went a few yards across the lawn before i dropped the front of the car in a ditch

once they figured out we were not terrorists, but just harmless idiots they let us go
well, they told us we could go, but getting the car out of the ditch was "not their concern"

after about 20 minutes some hippies in a VW smokervan came by and pulled us out

(so i guess i didnt go quite fast enough to get out the other side of that ditch...but this particular one was designed as an anti tank trench)

I was getting on my SC400 onto a freeway on ramp with just the most gentle right hand fade. I goosed it when the freeway straightened it out and at about 50, the RPMs climbed and the back end started coming around. I immediately steered about half way into it, got off it (cant remember what I did first, but I hope it was at the same time) and it recovered but it was crap the pants moment for me and the guys behind me. I think the *** got only a foot out of alignment but that was some scary ****.

I can't speak for new high performance stuff, but I blame good old fashion physics. When you're at the track, the surface is prepped and your slicks are evenly warmed up right? Ever see a car burn out with one slick that didn't get water on it? I've seen ugly hooks to one side...

now think about the random crap on an ordinary street. Better yet all the water from air conditioners that gets laid down at intersections. Be careful when you decide to launch is all im sayin' ....
d

Johnny, best I got is, it's stupid youngins. We were young and stupid once, the difference is we were messin with 350hp, not 700 and there were WAY less cars on the road.
Very true. Anyone with a job and willing to sign the dotted line can buy a 500 NET hp machine. My son has one. When I was in my late teens in the late 80's, the cars that were available and we built were lucky to have 300-350 hp Gross. Sure the cars handle better today, but that alone causes disrespect for speed as 100 mph feels like 60 mph in a Duster. And how quickly they accelerate is purely amazing. But it's at the track as well, because they show up.

It's stupid drivers, imo. I have a friend who is just a natural driver in any car. First time driving a Viper, he raced his brother in a '69 Charger. No issues and it was a hell of a race. They both know their abilities and their limits.

-
Back