HELP! Motor mounts won't line up with k member now?

-

racerdude5

Reaction score
Brackets are on engine correctly but engine is still 2 inches back from where it needs to be. What's up?

No. They are the engine CORRECTLY. As I already stated. Also, putting them on the front ears would move them closer, not further away.

Is the tranny mount on backwards? Is that what is holding you back?

Got any pics? Was the engine ever installed in this car, with this K, with these mounts? The more information you can provide, the better chance you'll have of getting the problem solved.

Dammit you need to add to your "longest thread" on this. You seem to have what, 4 threads on this?

Does the tranny mount go on with the u shaped cut out facing forward or backward? Also how many inches of the slip yoke should be exposed?

Its a 74 duster with a 318 and I'm installing a new QA1 K-Member.

Are you sure that the new K-member is right? That could be off.

What is the difference in the 4 mounting holes of for the k-member to the engine mount, fore/aft for each of the two k-members here, stock vs qa-1?

Have you fit the same parts assembled the same on the stock k-member to see if they fit that one.

Does the tranny mount go on with the u shaped cut out facing forward or backward? Also how many inches of the slip yoke should be exposed?

I have the old style trans mounts, so I can't help you on that.

However when I install a engine and trans, I put the trans mount in the cross member, then drop the engine in, then jack the back of the trans up to line up the crossmember and trans mount after the front of the engine mounts are already set in place.

That way maybe you can spot if you can solve the problem by just reversing the trans mount.

BTW: The pictures are too small and the background too dark for me to see what's going on. Is there any way to get some better and bigger ones?

Ill check the difference the k members but I don't know how effective thgwt will be since the original is a spool type. Also I enlarged the images on the link.

picture of Trans x member in 71 Dart...with QA1 k member....

Attachments

• IMG_1564.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_1563.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 185
Those pictures are unreadable, all I see is black, can you get some daylight behind them?

Surely some body has a pic of the later model style.... That's what I put in my 68 but I can't recall which way it mounted. If it looks like you would gain 2" by turning it around.... :D Both the cross member and the mount may be turned 180.

What do you guys think of drilling two new holes on the engine brackets so I can slide the biscuits forward in relation to the block, that way everything will fit?

I think you should take clearer pictures so we can really see what the deal is. Do you always work in the dark like this? That might be the problem right there!

Surely some body has a pic of the later model style.... That's what I put in my 68 but I can't recall which way it mounted. If it looks like you would gain 2" by turning it around.... :D Both the cross member and the mount may be turned 180.

Can post some later tonight....Cars are a few miles away and I have to go there later ...to feed dogs..cats and chickens........73 Duster and 71 Demon will have the later trans x member..

when in doubt....google.

Attachments

• 6621516-transmountebody001.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 191
Chosen solution is to modify OE brackets to fit on opposite sides on front side of ears. No other solution, the engine is located in the correct position within the car. Moving the engine forward two inches would only cause problems for handling, and other things. Plus the car needs to be done tonight or I will be charged a hundred dollars a day due to strict home owners association fees.

Trans mount is on correctly. Only possible flaws are with the k member, or the mounts. I'm just drilling 2 new holes to change the location of the biscuits in relation to the brackets. Also, I called QA1 for customer support and they told me they would call me back, two hours later no call so I called them and it went to voicemail. They left me hanging.

-
Back