Help my crap 60ft times!

-

wigsplitter74

The Mopar Kid
Reaction score
So I went to the track this week for the first time on the new 360 and the best I could get was 12.90 @ 106mph. . . Sad for this motor. I think my biggest problem is that my 60ft times are the same as last year when it ran 14.0's. All night my 60ft's were 1.9X seconds, LAME! I'm lookin for a lot more out of this, tho the car was all over the place I think it shoulda done better, I noticed that with the 3.91 gears I was only at 3800rpm at the top end on a small 255/60/15 drag radial. I'm thinking I'm going to put in the 4.56 gears and try again, this should cut 60ft's and ET's right? Also I know a lot of you run the rancho shocks for length and I think with the way the car lifts my stock shocks are a problem, would a OEM dodge truck shock work as a cheap alternative? And so you know the car uses a 727 with a 10" 3500 stall, super stock springs moved inboard and a pinion snubber set to the floorpan. Thanks for helpin a young gun (20) FABO!

So I went to the track this week for the first time on the new 360 and the best I could get was 12.90 @ 106mph. . . Sad for this motor. I think my biggest problem is that my 60ft times are the same as last year when it ran 14.0's. All night my 60ft's were 1.9X seconds, LAME! I'm lookin for a lot more out of this, tho the car was all over the place I think it shoulda done better, I noticed that with the 3.91 gears I was only at 3800rpm at the top end on a small 255/60/15 drag radial. I'm thinking I'm going to put in the 4.56 gears and try again, this should cut 60ft's and ET's right? Also I know a lot of you run the rancho shocks for length and I think with the way the car lifts my stock shocks are a problem, would a OEM dodge truck shock work as a cheap alternative? And so you know the car uses a 727 with a 10" 3500 stall, super stock springs moved inboard and a pinion snubber set to the floorpan. Thanks for helpin a young gun (20) FABO!

thinking that the pinion snubber on the floor is bad, not letting the rear load for launch. when u "stall" to launch what is it stalling to?

and with 3.91 and that tire u should be way over 3800 rpm

thinking that the pinion snubber on the floor is bad, not letting the rear load for launch. when u "stall" to launch what is it stalling to?

and with 3.91 and that tire u should be way over 3800 rpm

I was trying to figure things out, haven't raced in a year. I was leaving at 1,500 and 2,000. It's kinda hard to really load the converter since the car weighs about 3130 with me and gas in it. I read in one of the mopar mags that when racing you want the snubber on the floor and when driving it should be about 1" off the floor. Next time I'm trying to leave without loading the converter and I'll play with the snubber.

if you have SS springs...you need LONG shocks...other wise they unload the springs once they top out....

never ran a pinion snubber with SS springs ....

if you have SS springs...you need LONG shocks...other wise they unload the springs once they top out....

never ran a pinion snubber with SS springs ....

Makes sense lol I tnd to use parts just cause I have them, doesn't always work in my favor. I think I'll talk to my buddies at my 2nd home (parts store) and check out some ram shocks, it'll either work out great or fail like crazy, both have happened before :-D

I heard shocks for an f-150 are the perfect lenght, not sure if year matters. I agree on ditching the snubber as well, also as said before, crossing the traps at 3800, especially with 3.91s unless you meant to write 5800 or 6800, you have some other issues going on that you need to figure out as well.

I heard shocks for an f-150 are the perfect lenght, not sure if year matters. I agree on ditching the snubber as well, also as said before, crossing the traps at 3800, especially with 3.91s unless you meant to write 5800 or 6800, you have some other issues going on that you need to figure out as well.

I may have read the tach wrong, it's a real split second moment when ya think about it.

So after I fix the random charging problem I am taking off the snubber and investigating some poor boy racing shocks and maybe still swap to 4.56 gears, shift point is at 6800rpm. October I go grudge racing and take a GM kid's dollars, I love mopars.

You might run out of steam with the 4.56,s and the 255,s.I run 4.30,s with 29-12-15 slicks and cross the beam at 6400 with my 410.I also have a 4500 stall and rev to 1500rpm and punch it(on foot brake)My 60fts are 1.54.I have some vids in the video gallery,check them out.

Forgot to mention that if I switch to the 4.56 gear I'll put the 28" slicks or 275/60/15 DR's back on the car looks better that way anyway. I had started the night with my slicks but needed more gear so I switched to my old radials. Also the lil thing was skating the top end really bad even with 16lbs in the slicks it got hairy.

If you're crossing the stripe at 3800, I just don't see a 3.91 ratio in the rear end. Please don't get mad, but have you verified the gear ration, and also I could see reading the tach wrong. Just my worthless .02 cents, but I think 4.56's would slow that car down. Can you also share your motor specs and converter?

I don't think taking the pinion snubber out is going to help you at all.It's there to stop the rear from twisting up into the floor.Longer shocks are a must with ss springs.12.90 at a 106 mph sounds about right. More rear gear will help but I agree with Pettybludart 456's will be a bit to much. Might want to think about 430s. My cuda runs 10.90s at 121 mph with 373s and 10.5X28 slicks and 11.10 with 265X60 drag radials at 5500 rpm. I leave the line at 1800 rpm and let the converter flash to 3500.My 60ft is 1.56 to 1.60. I drive it on the street all the time and some times show it. Good luck with your search for ET.

Shift point? Do you have a shift light?

Have you fiddled with pump cams and such to improve 60' times?

With that tire and a 3.91 gear, you should be at 78mph at 3800 rpm with ZERO converter slip. I'm thinking you either don't have that gear or you read the tach way wrong. That RPM sounds about right for a 2.92 gear @ 106 mph (don't know if there's any such gear that's exactly that ratio, but you see what I mean).

1.90 isn't a bad 60' time for a street radial tire on an average track. A sticky tire will do better. If you really only have that highway gear, you need more gear before you go to the sticky tire, and 1.90 is an awesome 60' - LOL.

Have you tried just "flashing" the converter off of close to idle at launch? I expect on a street tire that wouldn't work, but might help on a slick.

I'm running the same size radial with 3.73 gears, i will say with your MPH you should be running 12.4s easily, i'm running 12.5s at 104-105, my 60fts. are 1.80-1.82, best of a 1.79, so theres another 1/2 second in that car, i too would not worry about the snubber, i'll bet anything its not even smacking the floor on the launch with the SS springs, especially with 1.90 60fts., you DO need longer shocks if you don't have them, i got mine for a 73 dodge truck.

I'll bet your trapping closer to 5K then 3800, i trap around 4600 or so.

Which SS springs? There's more than one pair for the A body. The 002 and 003 has always worked best for me. Are you using gas shocks on the rear? Those are not recommended. MP has the 2" longer hydraulic shocks required for the SS springs. You'll also cut your ET even more going to a 904 based transmission. Though, I would iron out what's going on now before making a change that big.

Ok as posted I may have read the tach wrong, it is a brief moment thing lol. They are a true 3.91 gear
The motor is 367ci ported and polished X heads with 11/32 stem valves 2.02/1.60 SS valves, Holley strip dominator intake with spacer, 750 Proform double pumper carb. MSD box and dist. Crane gold 1.5 roller rockers, beehive springs, comp XS282S solid flat tappet cam (.520/.540 and 244/252 @ .050), 10.2:1 forged pistons, stock crank and rods, very well balanced. Timing is at 36* shifting it at 6800rpm with a light in my face.
Trans is a 727 reverse manual valve body, 10" 3500 rpm converter. Car weighs under 3200lbs with me in it and gas.
Should run good right?

i know this is not really apples to apples but for what its worth my car is about like your except i have a 340 jheads mild clean up same comp cam xs282s, maybe a little more compr. 11.5 in that area, xcel intake with 950hp, 727 with 8" 5600 verta and 4.57 gears with 28/10.5 m/t slicks my cars around 3200 all steel 1 race seat and another stock buck seat it runs mostly 7.50 and 60' in the 1.66 range and im working on my 60' some cause i feel it should 60 better then it is...i have 02/03 ss springs with mp long drag shocks (plan to try some truck shocks soon) pinion angle set at 6 nose down..so ill say you have more init with a little work ..also i have 5" travel in the front end with comp 90/10 shocks also gonna go to the calverts up front i dont drive it on the street much ..also you might want to try a lower shift point i shift at 5800/6000 the cam works to 6500 and your shifteing at 6800 seems kinda high..but my car likes around 5800/6000 no more then 6200 and have been a best of 7.44 with 1.64 60' at 89.9 mph hope this helps out some....

That does help, I also am using the 02/03 springs, my car gets a decent amount of street time, some of which involves slicks, prep, and arm drops :-D I have a 4600 converter to try yet but for now I'm just gona change shocks and play with my launch rpm, should be enough to get around a not a friend's camaro on the 16th.

Yeah, that's horrible for that motor.

Something is definitely off.

Off the cuff it sounds like you're shifting way too high.

Yeah, that's horrible for that motor.

Something is definitely off.

Off the cuff it sounds like you're shifting way too high.

I too said it was horrible and people were all stoked cuz it went 12s and I was still pissed. I'm back at the track in 2 weeks, gona get truck shocks for the rear, flash the converter harder and probly shift at 6600 where the cam falls off I guess. I'd like to see low 12's or high 11's out of it once it's figured out. UGH! Tuning.

:supz:Hi Wigsplitter , if your eng. pulls to 6800rpms, 456 gears are fine, you will need to go to a 31/10.5 15 slick and at least a 5000+ converter. that should give you 1.50 60 ft. times. should get you in the 11's. my 72 dart has almost the same setup on mtr. but has a 904 with a 5400 stall and 31/10.5/15 MT slicks. 466 gears. 1.46 to 1.52 60ft. times. I"ve gone 10.80 in 1/4 mi. on pump gas with booster. and 9.80 on a 200 shot. now I only race 1/8 mile. et 6.90 and 6.0 on juice. I built and opperated a drag strip in wisc. back in the 60"s and 70"s Tenora dragways. good luck Gary!

That is awesome! For sure a dream of mine. I really wish I had the dough to do a 904, I have a good working stock one with 64k on it but that won't last. After my 6k mile727 gives up I'm definitly going to a 904 and at least a 4500 converter and probably still try the 28" tires, it's all I can fit and it's a street car still

I think that shift point is still going to be too high. Id start at 5600 and work my way up from there in 200 RPM increments until it stops getting faster.

I don't know how my heads flow compared to yours, but I've got a junkyard shortblock 5.9 magnum, Iron Ram 1.9 valve heads, 224/230 hydraulic roller, Air Gap, 670 street avenger VS carb, 1-5/8 headers, 2.5" exhaust with super turbo mufflers (dumps), 4.11 gear, 27*9 Hoosier DOT, car weighs 3270 with me. I've got a 3800 converter. Last weekend I ran 11.79 @ 111 and had to let off 75 feet before the traps because my motor only turns about 6300 rpm. This was on a 1.63 60', which is so-so for the car so far.

My car will "pull" to 6300 or so, but runs quickest when I shift at 5600 RPMs.

Based on my anecdotal evidence, I think your car would be much quicker than 106 mph. I think mine would do 114 or better with a 3.91 gear, and probably would pick up with a double pumper carb (again with less gear).

There's 60' time in carb tuning (squirters and cams), especially on a footbrake car, so I'd check that out in addition to the suspension stuff.

Good luck!

-
Back