Help...need advice on best ignition system, carb, timing...

-

Mr_Sancho

Reaction score
Hello,

I wanted to see if I could get some advice/recommendations on whats best for my setup. Engine runs good but seems to be missing something and I dont know what. At the moment I am getting a hesitation when I punch it. I thought that I wasnt getting enough fuel however my plugs are pretty black. I dont smell fuel so I dont think its not running to rich. At high RPMs the vehicle is pretty responsive and takes off pretty good.It only hesitates when I punch it. Idles fine and doesnt overheat.

Here is what I have now...

Rebuilt late 70s 360 built to stock specifics (purchased at Orielly auto parts)
Mopar Performance air gap intake (single plane)
Holley 4160 (600 cfm, manual choke)
Stock ignition system with a MSD Blaster coil (w/ballast resistor... not sure if MSD coil needs it or not)
Stock electronic distributor
Stock manual fuel pump

I would also appreciate it if I could get the stock timing settings. I've researched it but cant find a definite answer.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. If you need more info I am more than happy to provide it.

P.S. If there are any Mopar gurus in or around Las Vegas, I am able to take the vehicle to you for a hands on look/inspection.

If the plugs are black then something is way off.Need to set the timing and then work on the carb tuning.

I would start with 32 degrees total timing with the vacuum advance disconnected.

If you truly have a single plane intake you would likely benefit from a dual plane.Not going to cure your tuning issue but would make it idle better and be snappier off idle and part throttle.

Timing alone may fix this, I would get your distributor tuned in first, than go to carb with a accelerator pump adjustment and you should be good to go.

Single plane with your setup (stock bottom end, low compression, stock cam) is not ideal.
It would be best to get a used dual plane.
Ignition timing needs to be correct before you start screwing around with the carb.
Start by setting initial timing at 18* initial 34* total mechanical. The higher initial timing will help improve throttle response.
Single plane intakes require a bigger pump shot. Close the manual choke 1/2 way and rev the throttle. If the stumble goes away your pump shot is to small.
If your plugs are black you are way to rich. Today's fuel leaves very little color on the plugs with correct AF ratio.

Look up the gazillion threads about setting initial timing

Setting a street car using the total method is a recipe for tearing your hair out if the distributor has a lot of mechanical advance in it. Total is great if the system is locked out.

Thanks for all the advice fellas. I think I'm going to start by changing my intake and carb. Then check the timing after.

Any suggestions on whether to go with an orange or chrome Mopar ecu? Or MSD or FBO?

Thanks for all the advice fellas. I think I'm going to start by changing my intake and carb. Then check the timing after.

I would address timing first, it may surprise you. Then tune the carb. Start with a bit more initial, anywhere from 12 to 14 to start with, see where that puts you. Keep in mind advancing the timing initial will require limiting the mechanical.

Hello,

I wanted to see if I could get some advice/recommendations on whats best for my setup. Engine runs good but seems to be missing something and I dont know what. At the moment I am getting a hesitation when I punch it. I thought that I wasnt getting enough fuel however my plugs are pretty black. I dont smell fuel so I dont think its not running to rich. At high RPMs the vehicle is pretty responsive and takes off pretty good.It only hesitates when I punch it. Idles fine and doesnt overheat.

Here is what I have now...

Rebuilt late 70s 360 built to stock specifics (purchased at Orielly auto parts)
Mopar Performance air gap intake (single plane)
Holley 4160 (600 cfm, manual choke)
Stock ignition system with a MSD Blaster coil (w/ballast resistor... not sure if MSD coil needs it or not)
Stock electronic distributor
Stock manual fuel pump

I would also appreciate it if I could get the stock timing settings. I've researched it but cant find a definite answer.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. If you need more info I am more than happy to provide it.

P.S. If there are any Mopar gurus in or around Las Vegas, I am able to take the vehicle to you for a hands on look/inspection.

Where in Vegas are you? Not an expert...but i did stay in a Super 8 a few weeks ago...

Look up the gazillion threads about setting initial timing

Setting a street car using the total method is a recipe for tearing your hair out if the distributor has a lot of mechanical advance in it. Total is great if the system is locked out.

Sorry to hijack, but Crackedback, your new GIF signature just kills me!!

Pertronix flamethrower3 distributor and coil. The distributor upgrade is very reliable. their coil has a much higher recharge rate than an msd coil. msd coil recharge actually isn't that good especially for multi spark at high rpm. I switch and will never go back. My little Cuda with 273 has so much more pep no matter the rpm, she feels like she'll just keep climbing. Btw 45 mph and still chirp 2nd

You don't need and MSD or Pertronix bullcrap. PM Trailbeast and let him tell you about his new distributors he is offering. They are remanufactured stock Mopar electronic distributors modified with the 4 seconds flat timing limiter plate and light springs. That way you can have initial timing around 20* and a total around 34* depending on how he installs the limiter plate. Stand up guy and you are supporting a forum member, plus his prices are WAY more reasonable than Pertronix OR MSD and they drop right in where stock Mopar distributors go.

-
Back