help needed with 904

-
So I'm assuming since everything was plugged off someone hopefully poured out most of the oil? Or even if it had oil in it if I flipped it over I would assume that it would go into the transmission and not still have the pan full? Like as in I'm not going to lift this pain or undo it and a bunch of oils going to go around all over the place? Or should I try a cracking the pan open with it Facing down first?

Wait a sec! I thought you were a 4 speed ride or die guy!? What's going on here??

Motor and tranny are for the wife to play with in the duster. No space/money/desire for yet another vehicle. And I really need help with this transmission, I'm not sure if I even know enough to be dangerous. Good or bad I'm gonna do somethin.

Wait a sec! I thought you were a 4 speed ride or die guy!? What's going on here??

Lining up my ducks- I turned the transmission over and was a little surprised to see only 4 bolts holding the pan on. That makes sense it came with the gasket. I went outside and loaded up the 904 that came with the 360 I got a couple years ago for $50 off of Craigslist. That's where I also got the flex plate and Bolts from. I can imagine that I could just plug that transmission in with the neutral balance torque converter and be just fine for a while but I'm sure it would give out quickly. That 360 was very unkept, so I assume the transmission was neglected as well. So the clean transmission that came with the 318 is the one I'm going to go with but it's obviously missing a lot of the exterior parts. Again this one comes with the story which I believe that it was rebuilt by Speed Shop of some sort near Seattle and ran for a couple years lightly and at some point lost reverse possibly due to linkage and was abandon for a brand new transmission and pretty much obviously robbed of any exterior things needed to install the new transmission and at that time a new shifter was bought for that new transmission.
So this is what I have to work with and I believe I'm just going to start by flipping the transmission back over again and pulling the cover off and scratching my head. Of course I'll start robbing all the parts off the other tranny so should be another big mess
20170424_164237.jpg
20170424_164226.jpg

Is there some automatic transmission walk through sticky I'm not seeing on the forum ?

I'm of no real help but there seems to be a few rebuild videos on YouTube. Maybe skimming through a couple of those could point you in the right direction?

I noticed there's not a whole lot of answers on this forum. I'll try that, thank you . ..

I'm of no real help but there seems to be a few rebuild videos on YouTube. Maybe skimming through a couple of those could point you in the right direction?

So as most know I have schooled myself in 4 Speed for the last few years so I don't know what piece goes on the front for the most part except for when I looked up on the internet and compare pictures too. this piece that I'm about to clean up came with the old transmission and I'm assuming it's a dust cover that's going to fit? This should be easier one or not internal transmission Guru people?
Edit crap I forgot to add the picture
20170425_113537.jpg

Send me your mailing address ...I will send you a copy of the ATSG guide for 904/999....for the 727/904...all in pdf format...too big to email except for one of the files.(904/999)

Send me your mailing address ...I will send you a copy of the ATSG guide for 904/999....for the 727/904...all in pdf format...too big to email except for one of the files.(904/999)
sent you a conversation on this same subject, would apprishate a copy to if'in it can be arranged!

you're always helping me LOL don't you have my address on your Rolodex? LOL 10-4 on it's way and thank you as always !

Okay the first picture I want to show you here is when I turn the newer transmission or the transmission that I came with the 318 I will call it number transmission number one just so I don't have to keep clarifying which is which then transmission number two is the one that I've had for a couple years that came with the $50 360 that looks more neglected than anything. So when I flip transmission number one over some oil leaked out of the front of it but just from an upper whole and I'll show you a picture of that and hopefully that means nothing?
20170425_121226.jpg

Now I'll send a series of pictures Of the old number two transmission that I brought out to Rob all the parts off of- pan bolts the screen bolts all the linkage and even the torque converter bolts and slip yoke it was pretty complete..
20170425_131445.jpg
20170425_131421.jpg
20170425_131426.jpg
20170425_131430.jpg

Okay now for pictures of transmission number one it's the cleanest and of course it could have been rebuilt by Speed Shop for heavy-duty use? I'm wondering if there's anybody who was looking at the valve body can one see any problems? I could see that there were differences, But I figured that could just be from one year to the next. All the bolts and screws were of a different kind and some of the spring mechanism seem to work differently or work just a little different? Again that could just be from one year to the next I don't know anything about these Transmissions. Would be nice to know that someone recognizes something that is performance-oriented? Is there an obvious sign of a shift kit or something like that I should be looking for because Lord knows I would rather spend the $41 now and by some stupid shift kit now then have to do it later....
20170425_131439.jpg
20170425_131400.jpg
20170425_131412.jpg
20170425_131406.jpg

Too slow! Now I got to go help the wife plant flowers!:BangHead::wtf:

Put your skirt on before you plant the flowers.

As for your tranny, I haven't messed with a TF since about 1988. There should be some simple way to tell if it already has a shift kit of some kind in it, but I don't recall how.

I know I get to do one here in a month or so. I'm going to use the Transgo kit that eliminates the kick down linkage. But, you have to manually shift it. You just can't line the lever up to the D and go.

And she put her pants on a few years ago when I had to work and she drove past Seattle to get my 4 Speed, help plant a few flowers in the back yard- no sweat....

Hell, you should get her a lemon aid and let her sit in a chair and watch you plant them then.

That's what I'd do! But I'm a good husband.

That's what I tell my wife anyway.

Actually a little surprised no one has any ideas as to what I have. I guess I'll slap the transmission together and hope for the best. Maybe reverse was just bad linkage.

Actually a little surprised no one has any ideas as to what I have. I guess I'll slap the transmission together and hope for the best. Maybe reverse was just bad linkage.
First, I'll state it right now I'm no internal tranny expert. 2nd of all, let me say the 904 can be the weakest link (it was mainly a slant 6 or 318 2bbl tranny), but with a few upgrades can be bullet proof.
I would advise, as cheap as it is, to upgrade the 904 to kelvalar bands, up the kickdown ratio, and at least a jr. shift kit. And you can also put a little more into it and bolt your stroker up to it for a quick changeover (engine only).

Thank you for your response and at this point Thank you for any response! With this supposedly have been built by a speed shop I'm assuming and at least a small shift is already in it and if not some of them upgraded Parts like you were talking about. big problem how does someone like me and you have no idea what's going on? Maybe all this stuff has already been done? And possibly a big waste of my time and money if it has...

-
Back