Help!!?? Nuetral safety switch problems?

-

highwaystar

Reaction score
I had my Duster running last week. has been starting great. I was working on replacing steering wheel and when I was done it would not start at the key. I could start it at the starter relay and it would run. The first thing I thought was switch. I replaced the wire harness to the switch, than the key switch. I have a new (N.S.S) nuetral safety switch. I pulled the plug off of that and I am getting juice to two of the three prongs. (auto). I tryed the old switch, which worked when I took out. nothing. This is a 72 Duster. I even pulled a N.S.S wire harness off my 72 scamp and plugged in. nothing. There is one brown wire that plugs into the bulkhead that goes inside the car. What is that to? I am getting juice out of the column, I put a test light on all of those wires. I need help, running out of patience and ideas.

Don't get all uptight, this is a simple circuit. Your relay has two pushon conectors. One comes from the crank terminal of the switch, by way of the bulkhead connector.

The second goes down to the transmission and sees a ground in neutral // park

so pull the one off goes to the transmission. Clip lead a wire from the exposed relay terminal to ground, it should now crank with the key.

If it cranks, its the harness to or the neutral safety switch

If not, leave your ground clip on the first connector, and pull the second pushon connector off, and jumper it to the battery. The relay should cause the starter to crank.

If not, it's the relay

If so it sounds like the wiring, bulkhead connector, igniton switch or switch connector

So hook the neutral switch back up and verify. Jumper the second relay terminal to battey and it should crank

If so, it's wiring/ bulkhead connector, switch problem.

If not, read the above again. You also could have an intermittent

Don't forget that even if the relay clicks, the relay contacts can be bad

The lead wire going from the relay to the starter solenoid can be bad---they tend to break inside the molded connectors from engine movement

I occurs to me "you were working on the steering wheel" Check the ignition switch mount and linkage. You may not be engaging the link to the switch to move it far enough to the start position, or you may have jiggled the connector, not making good connection

It started. I am not sure exactly what happened differently. I put the new old N.S.S back in the tranny. I took the N.S.S wiring harness out of the Scamp and put it in fully and pulled the brown wire out of the wiper harness and put it into the existing harness that was on the duster and it started. Maybe that brown wire into the harness was bad on the old wiring or wasn't making contact in there. Very happy now. Thanks for the help 67 Dart 273 and Redfish. he helped me out alot in PM messages. wiring is a long process for me to figure out.

the brown wire is the n.s.s, the other two are for the back up lights, glad you got it running.

-
Back