HELP PLEASE!! A833 OD input shaft too long!

-

Pateras

Reaction score
I was installing my A833 OD trans behind my 383 BB, and the trans input shaft was hitting the back of the crank, about 1/2" too long. Is it ok to shorten the shaft enough to mount up properly? Thanks in advance!

thanks for the quick response. The needle bearings already in there seemed fine so i lubed them and held the tranny up to make sure there was a good fit. there was , and next to no slack.

You have to be careful to get it just right if you use the pilot bearings or bushings that seat in the pilot bushing hole. If you use the Dakota style pilot bearing that seats in the crank hub you can be a little less accurate with the cut. In any case - ther's no problem in cutting it, just make sure to round it a little and smooth the edges of the cut.

I've drilled out a crank, but it's a tough job (and the bearing would have to come out).

Thank you guys so much for your replies, this is quite relieving. I've read that BBD Tech article twice but overlooked that critical info, so thanks!

So the plan after the Thanksgiving day comatose is to lop off 5/8" and taper as I have the needle bearing. Then, she going in the hole. I'll post some pictures this afternoon. Thanks!

-
Back