Help please asap!

-

doopdoop67

Reaction score
Hey guys need some info, guy in town has a 72 dart with a 318 and a 904 runs and drives good, I was wondering if I could take the motor, transmission, read end, brakes and put all that in my 67 dart with a slant 6. Wanna swap all the parts out to a v8. Guy will sell the car whole to me for 600. Any information will help thank you

This assumes that the 72 hasn't been converted to BBP. It will swap. Since the V-8 K-member will be needed, the easiest and fastest way to do the swap is to drop the entire assembled K-frame (engine, transmission, steering gear, suspension) through the bottom of the car. If rear on 72 is an open 7¼, keep what you have. If the 72 has disk brakes, the master cylinder and all underhood brake hardware will be needed.

This assumes that the 72 hasn't been converted to BBP. It will swap. Since the V-8 K-member will be needed, the easiest and fastest way to do the swap is to drop the entire assembled K-frame (engine, transmission, steering gear, suspension) through the bottom of the car. If rear on 72 is an open 7¼, keep what you have. If the 72 has disk brakes, the master cylinder and all underhood brake hardware will be needed.

Thanks a lot, guy wants it gone tomorrow

Purchase from Summit racing "Trans Dapt" swap mounts for the /6 - 318 swap.
Take the throttle cable, trans kick down, radiator, leaf springs and bottom plate that bolt to the rear end. Some wired may have to be shortened or lengthened.

This will be an easy swap.

X2 agreed - since I'm assuming here you'll have both cars I wouldn't get rid of the 72 for several reasons until the swap is complete. Also this would be a good time to clean clean and clean everything. Put any new gaskets and paint? since your thoughts are probably "more power?" This is the perfect time to ad any proformance parts you may have been thinking about ? While motor has easy access. Easy swap? Well yes, for someone who knows these cars well. For me - easy. For the "car guy" who bought the wife's 66 barracuda and paid $400 to have the freeze plugs replaced and looked at my duster and said "nice nova!" Maybe not so much....

there are plenty of threads walking ya through the t bar and k member removal, and all the rest. if ya have a problem, just ask, someone will see the question and give a good response .

it is always much easier doing this when yo have the complete car to take from rather than trying to piece it all together from parts from 10 different places!!!

Then you can part the rest of the car out and get some of your $ back and junk what's left.

If rear on 72 is an open 7¼, keep what you have.
This was my thought: the 318 rear axle on the '72 is likely a 7-1/4", just like the /6 has. So there may not be much value in the axle, unless it has larger rear drums, which it may indeed have. If so, then the rear drums and backing plates, etc, should swap right onto the existing rear in the /6 car.

The Kelsey-Hayes front discs brakes would be nice to have if that donor car has them, but I would not re-use the MC and maybe not even the calipers as they are in questionable condition at this point. Even larger front drum brakes would be worth putting onto the '67.

Purchase from Summit racing "Trans Dapt" swap mounts for the /6 - 318 swap.
Take the throttle cable, trans kick down, radiator, leaf springs and bottom plate that bolt to the rear end. Some wired may have to be shortened or lengthened.

This will be an easy swap.
They're fairly cheap mounts aren't they?

Even if the '72 has drums you'll want the drums. 9" drums suck and from 10s you can upgrade to aftermarket brakes if you're hung up on an 8-3/4. You'll want the V8 radiator and I'd guess it may be worth swapping the core support if the one in it doesn't have the same width opening. What I'd do is regardless of whether swapping the whole front end or just doing mount adapts I would upgrade to a '73-6 K with discs and an 8.8/8-1/4 down the road. If you don't swap the rear, swap the brakes- it'll be a nice upgrade.

72 running gear in a 67? hell yes. It has been done - there are/will be some issues, but nothing is impossible if you have the $$... goferit.

The hardest part of the whole swap is the self control you have to learn after installing those two extra cylinders.....:burnout:

If you are going to do it, then do it right.
1. Buy the 72
2. Drive the 72 for a while
3. Keep the 72 as is because it is too nice to break up.
4. Look for a 318/904 for the 67 (for less $$ than the complete 72).
5. Find another "donor" A-body for the transplant.
6. Repeat process three more times.

the v8 car will have 10" brakes and your 67 will have 9". I'd swap the drivetrain and suspension from the 72 and replace all brakes lines while I was at it. 67-72 a bodies had the same radiator opening with a 6 or an 8 cylinder. The driveshafts will be the same since they both are Dart's,have 904 trans and 7 1/4 axles.

-
Back