HELP PLEASE! whats the best way to ship a front clip

-

tobysoldblue

tobysoldblue
Reaction score
Ive found and bougt a complete front clip for my 71 dart.My buddy is picking it up for me this saturday.The question is,hes in ok,im in nc,whats the cheapest way for me to have it shipped out here to me.Is there a company that will go to his house and pick it up?I dont want to have to bother him with boxing it all up,time is money,of course.Im having trouble getting the dumb a$$ shippers in my area to tell me anything.Ups says they can only ship 150 pounds,fed ex said they dont understand what im talking about,duhhh,lolAny help guys?

Hey Toby,

We usually pad them with cardboard and strap them to a pallet, depending on the size. As long as they don't overhang the pallet too much, it's never been a problem.

As to Carriers, I don't know whom you have in your area. We use DanFoss a lot, as well as DHL/Loomis. I can't believe that UPS will only ship 150#, we have a 100# limit on Greyhound, but none on any of our normal carriers. A diesel motor or a big block quite often weigh upwards of 800#.

ROAD TRIP ! Mapquest LOL
What town in OK ? I got the Pickletown NC part :)

I can't believe that the freight forwarding companies won't tell you anything - that's their job. You may not be calling the right ones. Perhaps calling nationwide freight companies would be better than calling the local podunk companies. They are going to want everything securely fashioned to skids/pallets so your buddy is going to have to so that for you and come up with some measurements and weights for the freight people. You will also need to tell them that these items can't be stacked which means tht it will probably be more expensive since it's taking up valuable space. Again, you need to have the measurements and weights ready. Also, if your buddy doesn't have access to a forklift (or a loading dock with a pallet jack), there may be an additional cost because of that. All things to consider when shipping large parts. If you remember, when we spoke about shipping these parts out from my way how much time/labor was involved. Well, it's not easy work to prep these things properly for shipping and arrange their freighting.

If your buddy can hold onto the parts for awhile, you can go up on a few boards that have a transporting section (like Moparts) and post that you need to move these parts between point A and point B. You might find someone deadheading one way who can move it for you. With gas prices what they are, you just can't offering them the ol' $50 & a cold one when you get here. I've been watching that forum and people are moving things but not for dirt cheap so you will have to pony up.

I figured the way things have gone up recently,id have to pay between 250.00 and 300.00 to get it shipped here as a whole unit.One of my buddies here suggested i ship the empty boxes from a truck im working on to my buddy in ok.Im working in the body shop this week,and have a new truck smacked in the front hard,so im gonna have the hood box,fender boxes,front bumper box,etc tomarrow.They wont weigh much empty,so i can ship them out with extra padding stuffed in the bumper box tommarro.I guess i could see if my buddy inok would take the assembly apart for me,for a fee,and ship it that way,im sure it wouldnt be too big a hassle that way.

Toby,

I like the idea from GTX about finding a transporter (independent) making that route. Probably the least expensive and maybe the safest way to go. Isn't there anybody on FABO doing that ?

As far as shipping the boxes to your buddy empty, weight won't be a problem, but size will. Oversize can be expensive.

Just my 2 cents, for what it's worth. Good Luck and glad you found the parts you need for your dart.

Yes, if you do find someone that is hauling cars and/or parts, more than likely they would take it as one clip (unless it needs to be disassembled due to room available). Still, you save on shipping your boxes out there, the time your friend would have in boxing and/or palletizing the parts and the big freight costs as well. I am sure that someone going between these two points and hauling a car (especially with an open bed) would take this on in a minute.

Maybe if we bump this post a couple of times over the next few days an independent transporter might chime in or a FABO member could know someone who'd be interested ??

Can't hurt to keep asking. Someone must know..............

Maybe if we bump this post a couple of times over the next few days an independent transporter might chime in or a FABO member could know someone who'd be interested ??

Can't hurt to keep asking. Someone must know..............

My thoughts exactly, if it were here in Ga I'd bring it to you on a Saturday.

here is how I helped get a go cart from Nashville, TN to Johnstown, PA via Tulsa, OK

When they dug the 57 Belvedere up last year the Prowler owners made it an event. We had people come from all over the US and Canada. One guy going to Tulsa from Nashville, sold his Prowler go cart to a guy in Johnstown. The cart was to be exchanged in Tulsa, but it would not fit on the car hauler with the Prowler and not get damaged and would not fit in the dakota bed, plus security was an issue.

I was asked to haul it back to Indiana and Dave (from PA) would come back and pick it up later.

Well I was going to Carlisile, PA the next month, so I told him I would just haul it from Tulsa to Johnstown for him since I would be going within 20 min. of his house.

Scott sold the cart without having to arrange shipping, Dave got it without ever having to haul it, I got free nights lodging and dinner at Dave's house

Now if you are not in a hurry you might be able to get it passed thru a few people and to you if time is not a big factor

there have been many a Prowler trailer hauled from one side of the country to the other by people, GOING THAT WAY

Just a Thought

here is how I helped get a go cart from Nashville, TN to Johnstown, PA via Tulsa, OK

When they dug the 57 Belvedere up last year the Prowler owners made it an event. We had people come from all over the US and Canada. One guy going to Tulsa from Nashville, sold his Prowler go cart to a guy in Johnstown. The cart was to be exchanged in Tulsa, but it would not fit on the car hauler with the Prowler and not get damaged and would not fit in the dakota bed, plus security was an issue.

I was asked to haul it back to Indiana and Dave (from PA) would come back and pick it up later.

Well I was going to Carlisile, PA the next month, so I told him I would just haul it from Tulsa to Johnstown for him since I would be going within 20 min. of his house.

Scott sold the cart without having to arrange shipping, Dave got it without ever having to haul it, I got free nights lodging and dinner at Dave's house

Now if you are not in a hurry you might be able to get it passed thru a few people and to you if time is not a big factor

there have been many a Prowler trailer hauled from one side of the country to the other by people, GOING THAT WAY

Just a Thought

And hence the reason why a "Transporting/Hauling" section on FABO would be a good idea. Please support it so we can perhaps have it become a part of our site.

Great idea GTX. Now when you're asking members to please support it, are you asking us to reply to that thread? Sorry if this is a dumb question, still feeling fairly new here myself.

Anybody out there that wants to transport some parts from OK to NC :walk::walk:

-
Back