Help!!! Please!!!

-

Punkmastadart

Reaction score
I been having this problem with Swinger lately. I drive it for a while and it acts just fine, but then all of a sudden it wont start on me?! It seems to not get spark and then i found out the coil burns up. i replaced it a couple times and it starts right up with each fresh coil. I read the voltage and it gets about 9 ish volts while running. Is my ballast bad?? What could be the problem??My timing is off just a little bit but not enough to cause this mess...can anyone give me some advice?? Thank you in advance!!

Is the coil aftermarket? MSD etc.

Is the coil laying down? If so, stand it up.

could only get one for ya rumble :(

Darts!!!! 015_800x600.jpg

ARUGHUGHUGHUGH I totallllly forgot to take a picture for you. Sorry man. IU screwed up.

Your heater hose is right on top of the coil and heating it up and above normal operating temp probably helping to burn it out since the coil can not stay cool with a hot hose on top of it.

100_2036.jpg

100_2035.jpg

100_2034.jpg

100_2026.jpg

GM tryed coil on top distributer and had heat related failures. Homda tryed it too which lasted all of one year. Move the hoses and keep the coil cool is good advise even if that is not the final fix.

I had a similar problem and i finally found it was a bad connection at the main plug in the firewall; i beleive it was the ingnition " feeder " located at the buttom middle of it! You may check it out!

It's mostly a mounting issue on the LD4B intake. Nothing to bolt it to on the intake. No worries though, as you can see. Just a regular coil bracket bolted to the old bracket for the vacuum amplifier canister. There found on late 70's cars. Maybe 80's as well.

If that wasn't there, I'd have mounted it at the wall alongside something bolted there allready with the same bracket. It doesn't look the best, but it works well.

It's also over the valve cover mostly. The headers under it do not heat soak it, but I would imagine it gets some heat from them.
The one hose is a tad short and is able to move a bit. Anytime I check the oil, I just make sure it is where it should be.

I believe that for sure, this poor old car has had some terrible owners over the years and i think its time i give it the love it deserves. I think it might be that cause it almost started this morning but it died. Well anyways i had a tack signal of about 200 rpm but when i tried to start it again it had nothing. I think its definately a bad connection. Ima relocate the coil anyways cause i think it would run cooler. Thanks for the help you guys, ill try it this weekend when i dont work. thats my only problem...getting the chance to work on it :-({|=

As silly as this may sound i had discovered the problem!! A wire for the distributor was open and all corroded like mo fo, so i cleaned it up and wrapped it and hooked it up. Works just fine now?? kind of a silly little mess lol but thanks tho rumble, ima relocate the coil just for the cooling benefit :rock:

-
Back