HELP! Really stupid strut rod question!!

-

superdart

Shade Tree Tinker Gnome.....
Reaction score
My friend is rebuilding his old 68 Dart, and he is putting a 73-up K-member in it. He posted up a pic showing his strut rods to be 7/8 inch different in length from left to right. Is this correct?

I sure never remembered my strut rods on my 75 being different lengths, but they are back in the car, so I have no way to confirm mine compared to his.

I have never seen different size strut bars on the same car. I would say one of them was replaced in the past years with one off a different Car.

Hold on and take a deep breath. Lets think about this for a minute. The strut goes from the lower control arm to the pivot point {rubber bushing} in the K-frame. Both sides are semetrical so they should be the same length. Now I don't know if diffrent years of A bodies had different lenghts but its possible. i would guess 63-66 then 67-72 then 73-76 as the K frame changed at these years. I'm sure that there aremembers here that could tell you what lenghts went with what years. and its also possible that a B body strut was used.

Different lengths for different wheelbase cars.

???

NO.

108" and 111" A-bodies got the same basic length strut rods for the same model year.

I've heard the 73-76 K-frame strut rods are slightly different length. I have not confirmed this though. So maybe they are being mixed with the strut rods from the old front end? You can just use the strut rods off the old 68 Dart front end if they both match. I just measured some I have at 16 13/16" seating edge to seating edge. I think those were 73-76's. They worked fine in my 68 Barracuda with 73-76 K-member for 12 or so years.

I bet one of the strut rod was replaced with a B-body strut rod. They look identical. I made this mistake once and the alignment guy spotted it. One wheel was set back more than the other.

-
Back