Help-Setting up a trailer for Racing

-
#1 thing to carry in a trailer that I don't think has been mentioned yet: A spare tire for the trailer, and some way to change it (jack, wrench, etc). I have logged many thousands of miles with my car trailer, and have rarely had a trip of any considerable distance where I did not blow at least one trailer tire of the 4. I now carry TWO spares. This is less of an issue with an open trailer though as they weigh a lot less than an enclosed trailer with all the stuff that the others have mentioned. It is even less of an issue with a single axle trailer due to the fact that the dual axles are very hard on tires when going around tight corners. The forces are literally trying to rip the tread off the tires, so you get tread separation, and the rest is history!

Don't forget that a standard car aluminum floor jack will probably not be up to the task of raising a car trailer with a car in on it too. I keep a 10 ton bottle jack in the trailer just for that purpose.

Things I carry that others have not have mentioned:

Bicycle to get around the pits. (The folding kind work best)
Holley jet kit (assuming you have a Holley carb), and gasket set
Small air compressor (1 HP works fine), and 25 foot hose with fittings for both blowing air and filling tires.
Engine oil for the race car, tranny oil, distilled water or coolant (if you are allowed coolant), diff oil, brake fluid
Brake cleaner, degreaser, and of course, hand cleaner and paper towels
Flashlights
Wooden pads to support the lift jacks on tarmac (12" diameter plywood work well). The tracks may require that you use these!
A supply of shop rags.

Now I guess I know why I blow trailer tires.... Too much stuff in the trailer... :violent1:

Mike

Yea-On the way to Norwalk last fall we had a tire blow out and that was the first I have ever had in 49yrs--Is that NORMAL with bigger trailers it was apita on the toll road cause our spare was under the car in the trailer !!!!!!!!! Had to unload to car to get to it!!!!!! NEVER AGAIN-the spare goes in the back of the truck from now on--Steve

Don't forget, insulator sleeves for your beer can. OR bottle openers depending on your choice.

On a serious note, how about a first aid kit?

there is nothing worse than a flat tire, if possible, some sort of patch/plug kit and maybe a tube for a rear tire. this will keep you in the "show" How about a pit bike/ride? Asprins for the long ride home....after the many beers! An extra MSD box [if that is your type of ignition system] An extra pick-up for the dist/crank trigger. Extra rocker arms/push rods. Misc. bolts/nuts for who knows what! A/N fittings/hose: various sizes. Brake fluid. Valve cover gaskets, RTV, oil pan gasket, oil filter cutter. Drain pan for oil/coolant [water I hope] Radiator cap, dzus fasteners if you use them, Blanket to cover the winshield if you race @ night. Window fogs up, you are in trouble..., [make sure you take the blanket off prior to the race...LOL] Probably a repeat, low tire pressure gauge some form of "ET" predictor...racer tape...zip ties....hose clamps,...A bigger trailer!!! Good Luck racing this summer!

A working Fire Extinguisher
for car and trailer

We have been at the track
Seen people in a hurry/ running-looking for one
panic.gif

Nice to have our own to use or lend to someone in need
(I needed to use one once)

Most everything has already been mentioned,but I always bring my pop up shelter for sunny,hot days or maybe....some quick rain.:wack:

-
Back