HELP! Spring Relocation Question

-

swest

Reaction score
I am currently welding in my spring relocation boxes, stuck a 1/2 steel straight bar in the existing stock spring box and the relocation box to maker sure they bolt in the same way the originals did. But seems that both side are off a bit from the factory and are not straight. Is this ok.

They are exactly the same distance from the torsion bar to the bolt but verticaly they are a bit crooked. Is this ok? :read2:

They are welded in there and are not coming out. Thought that the bar trick would guarantee thhey would be straight or atleast were the originals were. I also left the outer part of the frame rail on too as a guide.

Attachments

• spring relocation.bmp
    37.7 KB · Views: 278
My guess is it should be fine but wondering what you guys think. Did the leafs have a slight twist to them originally or do they do this on prupose?

Was never straight from factory anyway . What the difference 1/8,1/4 let us know.

its 1/8th and i can see it is same as factory i triple checked. So 1/8 off it is.

I would run a 1/2'' threaded rod from one hanger box to the other this keeps everything in line and straight then you can square both sides up,and then your tracking will be good. Don't forget to set your pinion angle when welding your spring perches.
Hope this helps.

I've encountered the same thing on previous builds......Don't know exactly why, but after installation and everything is buttoned up, I haven't had any difficulties.......

I can't STAND it when something like this is a little out of line.....I can SEE it, and can't help wondering if it'll make a difference in tracking or adverse spring tensions........But again, I've never had any noticeable problems.

Not a single welding job I've had done was exactly right.....But 1/8" tolerance, especially if it's matched on both sides, will not have an adverse affect in my humble opinion.

Dartman is right run a bar across is the way to do it.If you are only 1/8 I wouldnt sweat it I wonder how much mine is off. The stock hangars can move around a little before you tighten them also like said the frames were never straight to begin with. If you are all welded up dont worry mine are not perfect either.

Thanks guys,

Such great information, that is what I needed to hear. Im sure the bushing will handle the 1/8. How did you guys line up the rear. Hole is drilled straight, how do you center the steel collar?

-
Back