Help. Steering question 1972 demon340

-

h4e2m6idavid

72 demon 340
Reaction score
Ok I put inner & outer tie rods bigger style c body also used new sleeves also put on bilstein shocks. Ball joints look great regreassed and also put on a new pitnam arm. All done car steers terrible and makes a horrible 'squell' noise worse as you go faster just did the around the block. I followed the original tie rod thread outs so I thought I had it close but seems that the toe is way off I don't even want to drive it anywhere with this crazy noise ! I checked for any clearance issues no rubbing anywhere please advise on your mopar thoughts thanks Dave

The toe is definitely off. If you have a piece of chalk or a grease pencil you can adjust it yourself, jack the car up and spin the tire to draw a straight line on each tire. Settle the suspension by rolling the car back and forth a bit. Then use a tape measure to get the distance from line to line on the front and back of the tires where they meet the ground. The difference in the measurements is the toe. Ideally you'd want about 1/16" to 1/8" toe in (front measurement shorter), but as long as you can get it under a 1/4" you should be able to drive it to an alignment shop if you don't feel comfortable setting it yourself.

-
Back