Help understanding my odd timing?!?!

-
When I was talkin about the balancer, I wasn't talkin about your highjack. I was talkin about the OP's balancer. True, you can remark the balancer but if it has spun, it is worthless because it will spin again.

About your distributor Kevin, "feeling" it is correct is a far cry from knowing it. There are tools and methods for determining how an engine is physically timed. Unless you use those tools and follow those methods, all bets are off as to whether it is correct.

strokerscamp at tdc rotors pointing at #1 plug wire. Still can be 180 out? Thanks for your help by the way!:)

is it the side with the tip? and are you on the compression stroke? just asking, because I've been stabbing mopar dist. for 30 years, and if I'm not paying attention, like last week, when I did my scamp, I'll get them 180 out, easy to do.

Like mac suggested. Make sure #1 was on compression stroke, not just "up at top dead center". It sounds like the thing is 180° out. One of my many nicknames when I was younger was "180"... I did it a bunch of times too...lol.

If you don't have a vacuum can but have a factory type electronic, look closely at the reluctor. The rotor stays pointing forward. The distributor rotates around the reluctor in this instance... So you want to line up the point of the reluctor and the metal strip in the center of the pick up coil by turning the distributor body. WHen they line up, that should place the distributor cap terminal directly over the rotor, which will give you right around 0° initial. I usually add "a little" initial by turning the distributor body counter-clockwise a very small amount.

Moper, Strokerscamp, Fishy68 and everyone else, THANKYOU for your patience and help! Now newest question. I was trying the paper towel in the hole and when i got to tdc it popped it out of the spark plug hole. Wouldn't this indicate tdc on comp. stroke? If not then I need to pull the V/C and check furhter. After I set the intermediate drive shaft to point to #1 with previous check of tdc (paper towel) tryed firing it, no go. I then pulled the dist. and the intermediate shaft is not where i left it at tdc from before? Could the shaft not be seating and popping up and moving even with dist. loosley held down for timing adjustment? I go to work soon so i will check back in the morning. Again thx all. Kevin

It cant move if it's properly installed. The engine pulls it down against the bushing in the block as it turns. I would use your finger over the hole. It's not terribly hard to use a breaker bar or wratchet on the crank bolt and turning it slowly with one hand.

-
Back