Help... Vin #'s dont match

-

Me_N_My_Z

Reaction score
This is my first post,
I guess I'm in a kind of a pickle... I've always wanted an old Mopar, and I found a 1972 Duster 340 (or what I thought was a 340 car).

The car had sat for a few years and I bought it from a woman who said it belonged to her husband, who had a stroke and is in assisted living...

I got it running and have been part hunting and doing a little reading, that made me do a little more looking..

Anyways, Dash vin matches title, and it is a H code. I do have a title in my name now. The stamp on core support matches but looks fishy, Vin on rear deck lid by speaker hole DOES NOT match. NO fender tag

Has a 340 from a 1970 Vin obviously doesn't match, 727 trans from a 1972 B body Vin doesn't match, Does have a 8 3/4 rear unknown numbers....

I mean its a solid car and for the most part complete, but what am I supposed to do knowing that the vins don't match..

The woman I bought it from isn't returning my calls.....

Please any advise would be helpful... I paid kinda a lot for the car and don't really want to lose what I have into it but don't want to do anything illegal...

If it has a differant VIN on the package tray, its probally a "rebody" It pays to researce these things before purchase, but sounds like its to late now.

If the VIN on the dash matches the title, and your state issued a title in your name, you should be good for most practical purposes. You probably will never be able to resell it as an original 340 car, but if you are planning to keep it and build it to your own liking, I don't see much of a problem. It might be a good idea to do some "rust repair" around the rear deck. If you are not comfortable about it all you can do is try to offload it, but you will probably take a hit on that. Oh, you might want to run that VIN from the rear deck and make sure it's not hot. If it is, then you do have a dilemma.

Welcome to the forum, btw.

You've got a title and it matches the dash VIN. From a legal viewpoint, you're all sweet. Since it isn't numbers matching, you've lost nothing in terms of resale value.

Just relax and enjoy your car :)

I wouldn't worry bout it. Probably a body swap but nothing can be done now

The number on the rear deck are B2423383
With just those numbers can I do a theft search, considering the first five can be a multitude of configurations????

I just don't want to keep putting money into a car that I could conceivable have taken from me someday, or even worse me get into some kind of trouble for, Im married with kids and a little to old to have to deal with the law...

Is it legal to rebody a car?????

Let's see the stamp on the core support. At any rate, you own it now. You could probably get the cops involved but you might run the risk of losing the car if the body is stolen. I would just drive it like its hot

Your safe.

No-one can take your car.

Forget the rear deck numbers.

Pour your hard earned into the car like the rest of us poor bastards, fight with your wife over the grease in the laundry, and enjoy the oil spots on your concrete.

Let's see the stamp on the core support. At any rate, you own it now. You could probably get the cops involved but you might run the risk of losing the car if the body is stolen. I would just drive it like its hot

I will post some pics tomorrow when I get home from work, Im just kind of freaking out right now.......

It may have been 'clipped' at some point, rear of another car used to fix damage.

Differentials have no VIN.

Check your radiator support number for sure.

If it does not match or has been altered, involve your state police & use their guidance to get your money back from the seller.

The number on the rear deck are B242338...

I've just decoded your deck VIN and you're not going to believe this:

You have one of the very few factory Race Dusters!! That explains the mis-match, as these cars were assembled with whatever panels the factory had at hand. Since they weren't ever expected to be sold to the public, VIN's weren't important.

Now you can relax and enjoy a :beer:

I would like to see pics of the numbers also. People did have a bad habit of "rebodying" cars back in the old days but you never know. I once had a challenger with numbers on the rear that didn't match but after stripping the paint off I found out that the rear of the car had been smashed and repaired with parts from another car. It was an original 318 car tho so didn't make much difference.

And if he gets pulled over in a stolen car? Then guess who gets locked up until they straighten it out. If fraud is discovered go to the state cops IMMEDIATELY for your own protection.

I think there is suppose to be a vin stamped on the trunk rail somewhere too.

No trunk rail number on Dusters, it is on the rear speaker shelf.

STOP FREAKING THE POOR GUY OUT!

Its not stolen. It's just old and has enjoyed a few repairs over the years....like all of us.

Ignore these moonunits, menmyz....you're kosher.

I've just decoded your deck VIN and you're not going to believe this:

You have one of the very few factory Race Dusters!! That explains the mis-match, as these cars were assembled with whatever panels the factory had at hand. Since they weren't ever expected to be sold to the public, VIN's weren't important.

Now you can relax and enjoy a :beer:

Ok, Your just pulling my leg yes???????

STOP FREAKING THE POOR GUY OUT!

Its not stolen. It's just old and has enjoyed a few repairs over the years....like all of us.

Ignore these moonunits, menmyz....you're kosher.
How do YOU know its not stolen? How about if one of US comes and steals YOUR car, and installs a dash that has a VIN that matches a title we own? Then we are free to just enjoy the car worry free?

How do YOU know its not stolen? How about if one of US comes and steals YOUR car, and installs a dash that has a VIN that matches a title we own? Then we are free to just enjoy the car worry free?

So can I take the partial vin I have from the deck lid to Highway Patrol and have them check it???

The number on the rear deck are B2423383
With just those numbers can I do a theft search, considering the first five can be a multitude of configurations????

I just don't want to keep putting money into a car that I could conceivable have taken from me someday, or even worse me get into some kind of trouble for, Im married with kids and a little to old to have to deal with the law...

Is it legal to rebody a car?????
So these numbers do not match the dash? correct?

Step 1 - Set Mr. Gorsky to 'ignore'.

Step 2 - Take the car to the state cops, mention your concerns & have them inspect the car. If there are any legal issues, they will let you know & do what they can for you. If someone else get arrested, so be it, better them than you.

So can I take the partial vin I have from the deck lid to Highway Patrol and have them check it???

The rear deck is just a bit of metal with numbers on it. From a legal standpoint you bought VIN *** which is on the title and on the VIN plate.

The fact that your rear deck has VIN YYY means nothing. Only YOU know it has YYY stamped on it. If you don't mention it to anyone, any concerns that VIN YYY is stolen disappears.

The rear deck is just a bit of metal with numbers on it. From a legal standpoint you bought VIN *** which is on the title and on the VIN plate.

The fact that your rear deck has VIN YYY means nothing. Only YOU know it has YYY stamped on it. If you don't mention it to anyone, any concerns that VIN YYY is stolen disappears.
You sir, are a moron.

Okay, let's assume VIN YYY was stolen. If it was, it was stolen years ago and the owner was paid out by his insurance company. In that case, the insurance company owns VIN YYY.

I don't think Geiko are gonna miss this old Duster.

-
Back