Help... Vin #'s dont match

-
So us "evil" members, who were trying to point out it was a fradulent rebody, were right after all......what a suprise. I have a couple hemi cars I would like to sell to the other dumbasses in this thread, PM for info

lol.

You can't have it both ways, Tiger.

You were on the side of the righteous, I was the devil. Now you want to be one of the cool kids and come to the "evil" side. Permission not granted.

Everyone here knew it was a rebody. You were on the side that cared.

Me, I think originality is lost at the first oil filter change. After that the car is no longer factory OEM, and anything goes.

Jesus assuming it was rebodied and not two wrecked cars rebuild into one good car does not make it a illegal car remember assuming makes a lot of asses...

There is no fraudulent rebody law. Only vin modification or tampering laws to prevent theft.
You have to leave the vin tag alone.
You can repair any part of the body you wish.
There is no law that says you can't.

I can only hope this abomination of a thread gets deleted....

W
lol.

You can't have it both ways, Tiger.

You were on the side of the righteous, I was the devil. Now you want to be one of the cool kids and come to the "evil" side. Permission not granted.

Everyone here knew it was a rebody. You were on the side that cared.

Me, I think originality is lost at the first oil filter change. After that the car is no longer factory OEM, and anything goes.
I have been on the same side the whole time guy, Im no tiger and I dont need your permission for anything. So, now we see for SURE that fraud was involved, and there was VIN tampering, Backing up what a few of us could see, (common sense) and YOUR suggestion was to hide it and dont tell..........never mind the OP got screwed because of people with YOUR kind of morals. I almost felt bad for calling you a moron earlier, but now I see you have EARNED the title.........Why dont you answer the question I allready ask of you earlier?

Having a rebodied car might not be a problem if all the guy wants to do is drive it himself, but he would have problems if he ever decided to resell it. Not only that, but what if some other thieving turd steals it and removes the VIN? How would he prove that the car belonged to him if the title didn't match the numbers on the body?

Last edited:
Who is ready...

image.jpeg

Read this entire thread today, and talk about psychotic. Getting any "authorities" involved is the last thing anyone should ever do (I know this from personal experience). The car would wind up crushed and the OP would never get his money back. The car looks pretty nice for the one pic we saw. $9,000 for a nice numbers matching 340 car seems like a screaming deal in these days of overpriced muscle car madness, so when it turned out to not be the deal it's really not a big loss. I'm sure you could turn around and make money off it in a heartbeat from someone who isn't a stickler about numbers. Hell, I'd give you what you paid for it.

If you bought it in the mindset that you've always wanted one, and you had a major let-down because it's not exactly what you thought, then I feel bad for your situation. If you bought it to clean up and flip a few grand more than what you paid then no sympathy.

I noticed in the cases that were pointed out earlier as examples of people being prosecuted vin tags were constructed with changed digits and placed on a vehicle. They should be prosecuted.
Even tho there was no auto theft involved which the law was implemented for the law clearly states not to do this. He fabricated the codes with intentions of fraud. This duster has not had this practice applied to it.

I see auto theft, and swapping dashes as a real profit maker, based on these "head in the sand" morons in this thread.

Read this entire thread today, and talk about psychotic. Getting any "authorities" involved is the last thing anyone should ever do (I know this from personal experience). The car would wind up crushed and the OP would never get his money back.......

Which is why I told the guy never to post again, and join up under another username.

Instead, he's spilled his guts and posted a pic of the car in question. Go figure.

I blame religion. God has a lot to answer for.

I noticed in the cases that were pointed out earlier as examples of people being prosecuted vin tags were constructed with changed digits and placed on a vehicle. They should be prosecuted.
Even tho there was no auto theft involved which the law was implemented for the law clearly states not to do this. He fabricated the codes with intentions of fraud. This duster has not had this practice applied to it.
Not true, SOMEONE put a VIN plate on this car that doesnt match the body. THAT IS A FEDERAL OFFENSE wether anyone thinks its a big deal or not.

I can only hope this abomination of a thread gets deleted....

I think it's one of the best threads on the forum.

It's turned out to be very informative. Lots of views aired, a little bit of name-calling....and now we're all just a little bit enlightened :)

Never has one of these threads turned up a stolen
car. Just proof of a past repair to which some feel is worthy of a prison sentence.
The problem is not the car it is the buyer.
The state has the car as registerable.
This is not condoning auto theft.
No theft has taken place.

Never has one of these threads turned up a stolen
car. Just proof of a past repair to which some feel is worthy of a prison sentence.
The problem is not the car it is the buyer.
The state has the car as registerable.
This is not condoning auto theft.
No theft has taken place.
Thats bullshit, there are links in this VERY THREAD to stolen cars..........I am out of this thread, the swapping of VIN tags is a of a crime, plain and simple. If you support that action, you are either a crook or a moron......The OP got ripped, and some members are ok with it, trying to justify it.

The rest of the numbers have already been proven to be meaningless in his state with the issue of a title in his name.
You could probably just have your car impounded
until it can be proven not stolen and have yourself arrested for the posession of property that has the possibility of being stolen. Then you can pay any fines and or fees for the rehabilitating yourself of such possible crimes. Sadly they probably would accommodate you on this.
The legal process is to take the title that has been issued to you and register, insure and drive your car.

No, they haven't. He has a title now because the car wasn't inspected. If the car had been inspected, they would not have issued the title the way it is now. The car will almost certainly not be impounded. He won't be fined. If he turns in a statement of facts from the guy that did the "repairs" more than likely he will be just be issued a state VIN, and possibly a salvage title in this case. Both of which are perfectly reasonable based on the way the car was repaired, and would have been what happened if the shop had gone to the DMV like they were supposed to in order to do that kind of repair.

So us "evil" members, who were trying to point out it was a fradulent rebody, were right after all......what a suprise. I have a couple hemi cars I would like to sell to the other dumbasses in this thread, PM for info

Exactly. It's a rebody, and we're the bad guys.

Read this entire thread today, and talk about psychotic. Getting any "authorities" involved is the last thing anyone should ever do (I know this from personal experience). The car would wind up crushed and the OP would never get his money back. The car looks pretty nice for the one pic we saw. $9,000 for a nice numbers matching 340 car seems like a screaming deal in these days of overpriced muscle car madness, so when it turned out to not be the deal it's really not a big loss. I'm sure you could turn around and make money off it in a heartbeat from someone who isn't a stickler about numbers. Hell, I'd give you what you paid for it.

If you bought it in the mindset that you've always wanted one, and you had a major let-down because it's not exactly what you thought, then I feel bad for your situation. If you bought it to clean up and flip a few grand more than what you paid then no sympathy.

No, the car will not be crushed. It won't be impounded, and it won't be confiscated. If neither of the cars that were combined to make this one was stolen, the only issue is the VIN. The DMV can and will handle that with a state issued VIN, and more than likely no charges will be pursued on anyone.

As the proud owner of a car with a California issued VIN tag, I'll tell you that the best course of action is to involve the DMV as soon as possible. As in, before the repairs are done. Since that's not possible, now would be the time. Or just hope you get away with it and no one notices, but if you get "caught" the repercussions are usually different than if you go to them and try to make things right.

Not true, SOMEONE put a VIN plate on this car that doesnt match the body. THAT IS A FEDERAL OFFENSE wether anyone thinks its a big deal or not.

Uh, yeah. Removing the VIN tag and putting it on another car is just as bad as changing some digits. Still VIN tampering. Oh, and what about the core support that may have been re-stamped?

I thought it matched 2 out of 3 numbers?

Not really. The core support has the same number as the dash VIN, but appears "fishy". As in, altered.

So you guys are saying that if at some time the car got hit and needed the core support replaced and the owner decides to replace the package tray that was butchered he has a stolen car? By the looks of some of the rusted out hulks from the east coast I see being totally re-paneled in build threads here there's a lot of "stolen" cars running around.

the thread that i started titled "Interesting VIN # on a 68 Barracuda" is still here on FABO. a number of people responded and it includes a lot of good information. i would recommend it to anyone worried about a VIN number.

with that said, please allow me to share some thoughts based upon my 29 years of practicing criminal law here in pittsburgh, pennsylvania.

1. i am most familiar with 67-69 barracuda VIN numbers - i have 2 69s and 2 68's.
2. IF you are buying a car to drive and keep for yourself, the accuracy of the VIN number on that car may never become a problem. however, if you have some suspicions about the car and/or the VIN number, it is possible that the police may knock on your door someday with a warrant to confiscate your car because your VIN number has shown up on a "stolen car" list. assuming that you had no part in the theft of the car, you will not go to jail but you probably will lose the car.
3. IF you purchase a car under "suspicious" circumstances - like getting a "really good deal" on a "really valuable car" and you have actual knowledge that their might be an issue regarding the VIN number, you run the risk of being charged with participating in the commission of a crime - like "perpetrating a fraud" or "receipt of stolen property" or "conspiracy to commit fraud" or some other similar doctrine outlined in your state's criminal code.
4. IF you SELL a car knowing full well that there is an issue with the accuracy of the VIN number on that car - you have a VERY GOOD chance of crossing paths with the local police or local Prosecuting/District Attorney. there are two general types of Criminal conduct in all 50 States: crimes that are crimes simply if certain acts are committed (think statutory rape - er go "ignorance of the law is no excuse) and crimes that are ONLY crimes if the person committing the act "intended" to commit a crime (think theft, assault, kidnapping, destruction of property, arson, etc.). when a person sells a car that they know may not have the correct VIN number, they are "intentionally deceiving" the buyer - and that is a crime in all 50 states AND under Federal Law. this is a very different legal standard than just not telling a buyer that the motor has a noise in it or the clutch is probably bad. alteration of VIN #'s has been made a "specific" criminal violation under Federal and State law.
5. so how much of a car can you "repair" and what must you not "alter?" the simple answer is - you CANNOT "alter" IN ANY WAY the VIN number on a particular car - meaning - you CANNOT take a dash with a VIN number on it and put it in a different car; you CANNOT cut out the metal panel with a VIN number on it and put it in another car. you MUST "repair" the specific car that has an ORIGINAL VIN number on it with a CORRECT TITLE "for that car." IF YOU HAVE TWO CARS - one with a good VIN and title that CANNOT BE REPAIRED and one which has no title or VIN but CAN BE REPAIRED, you MUST contact your local State Police (usually they are the correct ones) and tell them you want to RECONSTRUCT and repair the car YOU DO NOT HAVE A TITLE FOR. the State Police will explain how you can obtain a "Reconstructed Title" for the car you are saving. now, any car dealer will tell you that a car with a "reconstructed title" or "salvage title" IS NOT worth as much as a car with "a clean title." that is the reason why most "repair guys" decide to take "the easy route" and simply "swap VINs" from a "clean title" car to the car they are repairing. while that is an easy way to solve this problem - IT IS ILLEGAL TO DO THIS!! - in all 50 states.
6. there is only ONE WAY to avoid all this VIN number concern and worry: examine the car you want to buy and MAKE SURE all the numbers match! if you get ANY stories about a replaced VIN panel or a dash - DO NOT BUY THE CAR! if you absolutely HAVE to buy a car with a questionable VIN number history/compliance, AT LEAST have the police check the VIN number to see if the car was stolen.
7. finally, EVEN IF you never have a police car pull up in your drive way a couple of weeks after you've sold your "restored" collector car (with a shady VIN number past) to a really excited buyer, YOU CAN STILL BE SUED by that unhappy buyer in a CIVIL SUIT if the buyer gets his new toy "examined" by someone who really knows something about collector cars and tells this buyer that "the numbers on this car are all "f...ed up!" in such a suit, even a mediocre lawyer will be able to force you to "reclaim your car" and give the buyer all his money back plus the cost of the law suit and the lawyer's fees.

if there are any lawyers out in FABO land that disagree with any part of this analysis, please let me know as i am confident that i have correctly summarized the state of Federal and State law regarding VIN numbers on vehicles.

So you guys are saying that if at some time the car got hit and needed the core support replaced and the owner decides to replace the package tray that was butchered he has a stolen car? By the looks of some of the rusted out hulks from the east coast I see being totally re-paneled in build threads here there's a lot of "stolen" cars running around.
Not stolen as much as rebuilt, which would blemish the title. Nobody would ever be able to get a loan towards it then. Most people wouldn't know about the ID numbers on the body (I've had my Duster for 16 years now and didn't know), and probably wouldn't mind if two cars were made one whole so long as the work is of high quality.

Maybe I've misunderstood some of what I've read but it sounds as though the core support stampings looked funny to the O.P. because the characters weren't lined up evenly. My experience with old Mopars is that this is not unusual and is not necessarily a sign of tampering. He didn't say that those numbers didn't match the VIN. Although parts were put together from 2 separate vehicles I'm not sure this car would qualify as a re-body. - More like a car that's gotten donor parts from another.

Not at all. But if someone does that repair without the proper documentation you get what you've got in this thread. A car with multiple non-matching partial VIN's, and no way to know if any or all of them were stolen without running them. Or you could contact the DMV, obtain the proper documentation, and complete the repairs above board. But that takes time and effort, and it's easier for lazy people to just replace the parts and let the next guy worry about it, assuming they can find some poor bastard that doesn't check all the numbers when he buys it. And if they can convince that poor guy that he's buying a numbers matching, clean car instead of a re-body or a car with significant structural repair that would tag it as salvage, well, they can make a tidy profit instead of having to take the hit of trying to sell a salvage title car themselves.

For the anti-LE types around here, it's called DOING YOUR JOB. And yes, I have gone over a car, particularly the hot rod/restored types for the very reason this thread was started. As someone mentioned, there's plenty of less-than-honorable types in this hobby and I know it. I also know many don't worry/care about such things but if it was your car that was stolen you'd be screaming & crying to the police to recover your valuable, classic automobile. Unfortunately there aren't too many LEOs that care about this sort of thing despite the value of these cars so that leaves it up to those who know, like me, to be so attentive.
Now if you think all LE has to do is "harass" people you obviously have little regard for LE anyway so your opinion means little if anything. My advice to the OP was simply to help him avoid the very thing some here think is okay (it's not) and to help him insure he doesn't lose his ride or worse, get arrested.

Maybe I've misunderstood some of what I've read but it sounds as though the core support stampings looked funny to the O.P. because the characters weren't lined up evenly. My experience with old Mopars is that this is not unusual and is not necessarily a sign of tampering. He didn't say that those numbers didn't match the VIN. Although parts were put together from 2 separate vehicles I'm not sure this car would qualify as a re-body. - More like a car that's gotten donor parts from another.
The core, matched the title, which DIDNT match the speaker tray, its ONE vehicle with a title from a differant vehicle

Thank you Jimharvard,gumper and 72bluNblu for the rational and non -condensending answer to my question. Some keyboard commando's here just want to call people morons and such because they know best...which helps no body... I hope the OP get's it straightened out and gets to enjoy his car.

-
Back