Help!! What is this box?

-
I don't look for free manuals or manuals on CD or downloadable. I prefer printed manuals and first editions at that. Much less room for errors being transposed from one format to another, plus you have a BOOK you can put your hands on instead of relying on a computer that may have problems of its own. I just hawk ebay and find a good used manual I can afford. Just my opinion.

Here's a very affordable two volume set in great condition from a seller with perfect feedback.
Service Manuals
Yep. And IIRC we've pointed out some of the factory electrical info is available on line.

Lemme do a quick search, Yep. My brains havent all leaked out yet.

What made me laugh was when he said this is what we are here for. While that's true, "help me, help you".
Also a wiring schematic would have led him to the answer.
I respect your reply Mark, you're one of the most knowledgable level headed on here.

What made me laugh was when he said this is what we are here for. While that's true, "help me, help you".
Also a wiring schematic would have led him to the answer.
I respect your reply Mark, you're one of the most knowledgable level headed on here.
And I like Mark, too, but dammit, he came off like we're tryin to give the guy a hard time and that's the exact opposite of what's goin on here.

I know that I am "guilty" of piling on sometimes, I was trying to point out the different ways manuals can save yer bacon.
And I like Mark, too, but dammit, he came off like we're tryin to give the guy a hard time and that's the exact opposite of what's goin on here.

I know that I am "guilty" of piling on sometimes, I was trying to point out the different ways manuals can save yer bacon.
Absolutely. I guess I am just too old school. The first thing I do when I get a vehicle is get a service manual. I ordered the whole set of FIVE for Kitty's 2004 Escape when we bought it new. I also have the full set of FOUR for Gladys and the one for Vixen. I also have one for my little 61 Falcon. I even have one left over from a 65 Coronet I used to have. It's simply a smart thing to do.

Nobody's givin the guy grief, we're all just trying to help by making the suggestion he get a service manual and I even wen and FOUND him some. Why don't you just get lost?
I just bought the manuals you found for me. Hopefully I won't bother you guys anymore with my repetitive questions. thank you to the people who helped me out.

I just bought the manuals you found for me. Hopefully I won't bother you guys anymore with my repetitive questions. thank you to the people who helped me out.
No, that wasn't my point. Feel free to ask any questions you want. My point was now that you are going to have the service manual, you'll see what a great source of information it is! That was my point. Ask away any time you want!

Don't take it the wrong way. We want you to become one of us

One of us
Gooble Gobble
One of us

IMG_5892.gif

Does anyone not believe in getting a factory service manual for their car anymore?
Only the guys that actually work on their car a lot.
You have no idea how many people ask that same question. If most used the search feature - that answer is there. It’s never about not “helping a brother out.” It about people asking the same question almost daily.
FACT.
As well as a Service manual, get a parts manual. These things are pushing 60 years old....
Another FACT.
Waaa waa waaaaa.
You posted crappy pictures of almost the same angle, didn't answer questions that were asked and now play the victim.
Look, man, nobody is paid to help you here. Some do it to help people they will never meet. Don't get all upset when people don't rush to your side especially when you weren't clear enough to begin with.
People have become too addicted to instant responses, instant information. The majority of the members here are from the generation where people worked to get what they have. There was no instant gratification. There was no internet. We had repair manuals, parts clerks, dealership and independent shop mechanics and sometimes magazines to guide us the way.
What you have could be a relay, a reset unit, who the heck knows. Why not unplug it and see if the car operates normally? Chances are it is inoperable and does nothing anyway.

Only the guys that actually work on their car a lot.

FACT.

Another FACT.

Waaa waa waaaaa.
You posted crappy pictures of almost the same angle, didn't answer questions that were asked and now play the victim.
Look, man, nobody is paid to help you here. Some do it to help people they will never meet. Don't get all upset when people don't rush to your side especially when you weren't clear enough to begin with.
People have become too addicted to instant responses, instant information. The majority of the members here are from the generation where people worked to get what they have. There was no instant gratification. There was no internet. We had repair manuals, parts clerks, dealership and independent shop mechanics and sometimes magazines to guide us the way.
What you have could be a relay, a reset unit, who the heck knows. Why not unplug it and see if the car operates normally? Chances are it is inoperable and does nothing anyway.
We shopped from ads in the back of magazines, bulletin boards, penny pinchers, newspapers, auto traders scouring junkyards and word of mouth. Remember all that? We had nothing "at our fingertips".

Henry Ford might or might not have said this, " Your generation has it made with your pick a part yards and magazine adds at your finger tips. In my day we had to invent things and build them from raw materials."

Last edited:
Henry Ford never said that.
To add, the word AND does not belong at the beginning of a sentence....

01 face 3.jpeg

And Henry Ford said, "I'm gonna screw the Dodge Brothers over for being smarter than me with all those parts they make for Ford and the books those parts are listed in"
Fixed that for you

You have no idea how many people ask that same question. If most used the search feature - that answer is there. It’s never about not “helping a brother out.” It about people asking the same question almost daily.

If he doesn't know what it's called, what exactly is he supposed to type into the search function to find it?

@Sixpack_Sid ignore the grouchy asses on here. Ask whatever questions you want. There's always going to be nice people who are willing to help you out, no matter how simple, basic or often asked the question is. If we all just referenced service manuals and avoided asking the same questions, this board would have almost no traffic anymore because it's not like much of anything has changed about these cars in decades. Yeah having a service manual and schematics are important but that doesn't always mean you can decipher them well enough to answer all your questions.

Henry Ford never said that.
To add, the word AND does not belong at the beginning of a sentence....

View attachment 1716161009
Well, technically you can put AND at the beginning of a sentence correctly. As long as the word AND is preceded by some of these ......., then it is grammatically correct. But any other time you are 100% correct.

We shopped from ads in the back of magazines
I remember being in denial that the car was old enough/rare enough/ etc to have to use the big yellow Hemmings - but eventually I did. Yup. Went to dealers with parts managers that had the parts books and would help me out or even let me use them. Took lots of notes and made made sketches. Then with the part number would go through page after page of small print ads. Got a few things that way that I couldn't find by other means.

If he doesn't know what it's called, what exactly is he supposed to type into the search function to find it?
With a '75 Manual there 's at least a couple approaches.
Knowing nothing about the wiring, one approach is if its the engine bay to look at the CE diagrams and see which ones match. It's only a couple pages and the drawings are pretty clear.
Another approach is to look at the wire insulation colors (and sizes) to see which circuits it might be. It may be neccessary to wipe some of the grime off the wires. The manual has list of circuit names matched to the colors. Bugman posted a photo of it from '75 in post 26 this thread.
Combining the two ofcourse is also possible.

The more you do, the more you learn.

-
Back