Help with 7 1/4 rear end

-

67ozziecuda

Reaction score
Guys,
Have a bit of mystery that needs to be answered. Did ANY of the 67 barracuda Formula S V8's have a 7 1/4 rear end?. Mine has one in it and I'm not sure if this could have been standard if a person didn't order the 8 3/4 rear end? Any ideas ??? I've used the VIN and fender decoders and it's definetly a Formual S V8 all matching numbers, not a 6 cylinder clone.

You either go the 8.75 rear end or the 7.25, thats it. Your best bet would be to upgrade to the 8.25, 8.75, or (for shear ballziness) put a Dana 60 in it. In 1968 you could get either a Hemi in either the Dart or the Barracuda and both would have the Dana 60 in them.

Knowing MaMopar back then, you could have ordered it with either the 7-1/4', 8-1/4", or the 8-3/4" rear differentials in it. Years ago I had bought a '67 Barracuda from the original owner. It was not a Formula S, but was ordered with a 273 2-V, 727A trans, H.D. suspension, and a 8-1/4" 3.23 sure grip rear diff.

Thanks guys,
So I take it then that this is not unusual and the 7 1/4 diff could have been possible in a Formula S ?. The other weird thing I haven't seen is it has a column shift auto (with bucket seats) on a Formula S, was this anything unusual ?

Knowing MaMopar back then, you could have ordered it with either the 7-1/4', 8-1/4", or the 8-3/4" rear differentials in it. Years ago I had bought a '67 Barracuda from the original owner. It was not a Formula S, but was ordered with a 273 2-V, 727A trans, H.D. suspension, and a 8-1/4" 3.23 sure grip rear diff.

The 8.25 wasn't an option until 1973, which the 8.25 was ment to replace the 8.75

Thanks guys,
So I take it then that this is not unusual and the 7 1/4 diff could have been possible in a Formula S ?. The other weird thing I haven't seen is it has a column shift auto (with bucket seats) on a Formula S, was this anything unusual ?
Nothing unusual about the 7 1/4 or the column shift on a Formula S.

I remember hearing that the formula s came with a 7 1/4 sure grip,and if you broke it under warranty they would replace it with an 8 3/4. I would check to see if it has a sure grip,they are very rare,and some slant six guys want them to upgrade their 7 1/4's. Or if you are only doing a mild build,just run it. The 7 1/4 SG's are good for up to about 300 hp.

Thanks for the help folks.

The other thing I want to do is change the front drums to discs. I can get a pair of 67 disc spindles but I need the disc hubs 5 on 4 (small). Can any one help out with a pair of these? or where can I get them from?

Thanks
Dave

If you want the correct disc brakes for the 67 I suggest you buy the complete setup from one donor. To piece it up can get quite expensive. Many have discovered the small missing parts like hose brackets are nearly impossible to find.
Same applies to rear window reveal stainless. A single piece needed to complete a set can take years to find. Save yourself a lot of tine and grief by buying complete part groups. Good luck

Thanks for the advice, any one you know that can help out?. As you know, it's a hard slog when you live in another country and have to rely on people helping out. Buy the way, the gauges work like a dream, thanks for the help with these, awesome modification and no more blown gauges.

If you want the correct disc brakes for the 67 I suggest you buy the complete setup from one donor. To piece it up can get quite expensive. Many have discovered the small missing parts like hose brackets are nearly impossible to find.
Same applies to rear window reveal stainless. A single piece needed to complete a set can take years to find. Save yourself a lot of tine and grief by buying complete part groups. Good luck

The 7 1/4" was standard issue with all Formula "S" cars through 67, before the 340 was introduced, the 8 3/4" was an option. When the 340 was introduced in 68, the Formula "S" cars that had them were automatically equipped with the 8 3/4" as the 7 1/4" wasn't deemed strong enough for the increased power!! Geof

1970duster, check your info pertaining to the Dana 60 being the only rear being offered in the 68 SS Hemi cars. My findings are that if equiped with an auto tranny then the 8.75 was the rear unit. If it was equiped with a four speed then it came with a Dana. I'll drag out the intel if ya need me to. I've studied these pretty extensively and have the authentification manuals and a couple of cars.
Small Block

That was my understanding too. Did they still have the small bolt pattern on both rears? 7/16 or 1/2" studs? If not, did they run the SBP on the front and BBP on the rear? Thanks.

The 8.25 wasn't an option until 1973, which the 8.25 was ment to replace the 8.75
1970Duster, I wish I still had the paperwork on that car, or the car itself! I've owned many Mopars over the years (A's, B's & C's), & I do know the difference between a 7-1/4", 8-1/4", and 8-3/4" rear ends. This car came originally equipped with a 8-1/4" SG rear end. Don't know if it was a trailer tow package or what, but that damned car had a 8-1/4" in it!

Can anyone help me out with the disc brakes.....please !!

Thanks for the help folks.

The other thing I want to do is change the front drums to discs. I can get a pair of 67 disc spindles but I need the disc hubs 5 on 4 (small). Can any one help out with a pair of these? or where can I get them from?

Thanks
Dave

Ozzie, You being from another country is gonna make the disc brake purchase a little bit tougher. Unless you can find a complete setup that was a take-off from a driver car (which I have seen a couple sets on here) you are going to need to do a little extra legwork. When you buy a setup that needs rebuilt, you need to have someone here in the states with access to Rock Auto to turn in the calipers as cores and get you some rebuilt ones. Then the rotors will need to be miked and quite possibly replaced, again another purchase from Rock. The hubs will need to be knocked off the rotors if the rotors can't be saved, and the rest of the items need to be inspected before shipping the whole lot to you to make sure you have all useable items ready to install.

I would be willing to help with this process but I am not near a Rock Auto, and to save shipping used cores back to them would be a savings much needed while assembling this parts lot. If there is someone out there who would like to broker this for you that is near a Rock Auto, that would be your best bet. I would place an ad here both for the disc setup and to solicit help exchanging unuseable parts for good ones. If no one chimes in to help, I would be glad to step up and help out. Lets see what we can do to get this done!!! Geof

-
Back