Help with an 8 3/4 swap

-

Kevo

Reaction score
I just replaced the 7 1/4 rear end in my 68 dart with a 8 3/4 from a 65 coronet. It has already been shortened to size, but im not sure if the drive shaft will need to be shortened. I have the rear end in, but not bolted down, and it seems like the drive shaft is only off by about 1/4 in, i figured if i tightened it down it would fit, but after some research it doesnt seem like it will.
Does anyone know for sure? if so, how much would i need to cut off?

All help is appreciated!

From everything I've read you would need to shorten it 2-1/4" because that's how much more the 8-3/4 pinion yoke sticks out, but not all information on the net is accurate so you should measure. You do that by having the car setting on all 4 wheels and slide the slip yoke into the trans. and pull it back out 3/4"~1" and measure from the center of the U-joint cap on the slip yoke to the center of the u-joint cap on the rear end yoke. That's how long the driveshaft needs to be center to center.

That is correct.When you frankenstein these cars all the chart numbers are no good.Bolt the rear down before you measure,don't leave anything to chance

You have to have the car sitting "normal" with weight on the wheels. I don't know how else you would do it except "bolt it in" But before you do something that expensive, I'd make sure your rear springs are "what you want." I did a real low budget backyard deal with mine---I junked out (actually a couple) of Duster/ Demon cars, and tore apart one set of springs off one car. Took those leafs and my originals, and "double stacked" all the longest leafs from both sets. I believe I have one more leaf than stock, but the bottom leaf is longer than original. It raised the car a little but really stiffened it up nice.

I don't know how big your area is, but even here you can buy center bolts and spring clips.

You should measure. You do that by having the car setting on all 4 wheels and slide the slip yoke into the trans. and pull it back out 3/4"~1" and measure from the center of the U-joint cap on the slip yoke to the center of the u-joint cap on the rear end yoke. That's how long the driveshaft needs to be center to center.

What he said. If the weight is on the 4 wheels, this is fool-proof and easy.

-
Back