Help with dampener ID

-

rapom65

Reaction score
Can anyone help identify this dampener? It's on my LA 360 which was built years ago by an old time Mopar racer who I can't get a hold of. I'm trying to install a 2 groove crank pulley for power steering. The engine has non A/C aluminum water pump and alternator brackets. A pulley set off a '74 318 won't line up. The dampener is too thick and the crank's groove is approx 1/2" offset from the water pump's groove. I need a crank pulley that is 1 1/2" from the dampener face to the center line of the inner V belt groove. I've seen some early 340 crank pulleys "on line" that look right, but? Obviously I'm missing something in my Mopar knowledge base!

Attachments

• IMG_1383.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1384.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1386.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 115
to me it looks like a damper for a cast crank 340, the 360 dampers i saw are different.

Normally the cast crank 340 dampers are cast with some text "for 340 cast crank only", sth. like this. This one has no text, is there a number somewhere?

Could be that somebody used this damper and rebalanced the assembly....nobody knows.

Michael

i have a stock 360 damper that looks just like that except mine is painted red.

This is a 360 balancer. They did make one without the offset as yours has. I believe it was early. I am sure someone has to make one for your application to replace early parts. It is not a good idea to use originals that are 30 plus years old. The rubber holding the two pieces together is Known to fail from age. If this happens it could cause severe damage. I've seen it. When the crank is spinning the damper it causes inertia, any sudden stall of the crank from what ever, as a gear change can cause the outer to keep spinning, and there it goes. Would you put 30 year old tires on your car after a resto.

Thanks for all the responses. I had a vague recollection of seeing this dampener before on another 360 but just couldn't place it. There are no markings on it that I could see. The man who built this motor had an extremely quick Duster (for the time period) which he competed in the western divisionals, but, lets just say he tends to stay on the outer edges of mainstream thinking when it comes to his builds. I wouldn't be surprised to find it was a 340 dampener he had balanced the internals to or some other strange chit. As I had figured it's time for a new set up.

It's an early, OEM 360 balancer/damper. The later version had material removed from the opposite side to accomplish the same thing without a "ring" that sticks out. A cast crank 340 balancer/damper will have "For 340 cast crank only" (or something very similar) cast into a smaller counterweight like that.

The Damper I have is the same as yours pictured, stock from a 1976 360.

When I get home I'll compare the pulleys from the 360 and the 318 I have at home and take some pix and post here for you.

Wow thanks for offering to post pic Kernel S. That's why I love this site, everyone is willing to go the extra mile to help others and the knowledge base is awesome. I am very familiar with the latter dampeners with the slot in the outer ring for balancing but this one kept saying 340 to me. Since I already have a couple of complete sets of pulleys for the later style I'll probably invest in a compatible dampener. Anyone got suggestions? Motor is in the 425-450 hp & torque range w/4 speed. Not planing to race it but will hammer on it every chance I get.

I think you may be right about it not being a 360 damper, I noticed yours does not seem to have a register for the pulley at all. Here is what I have;

First 3 pics of the 360 damper, then the difference between the the two pulleys one off a 360 and the dirty one off the 318. The height seens to be a little bit different too! Funny thing is the taller is the 360...:dontknow: doesnt make sence as the damper is thicker. The next couple show the bolt pattern and register size are the same. the last two pics show the fan pulleys which are pretty much identical again the dirty one id the 318.

So, I hope this helps. But it does make me wonder if i'm going to have issues with this in the future as well. well I'll keep all the parts and make em fit later! hahahahaha

Attachments

• Photo0139.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 93
  • Photo0138.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 89
  • Photo0137.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 96
  • Photo0136.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 95
  • Photo0135.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 82
  • Photo0134.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 89
  • Photo0133.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 96
  • Photo0132.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 95
  • Photo0140.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 82
That sure looks like a dampener for cast. Don't but a SFI from Summit; then you will really have pulley problems.

-
Back