Help with dash board circuit

-

340swinger

Reaction score
I recently replaced the circuit boards (new) on a 340 Swinger rally dash (1970) and cleaned and checked wiring. Some pins were borken. The three pins that are on the left side that connect the dash lights, left directional and high bram indicator.

Following the replacement I encountered some problems that I was hoping someone on this site could help diagnose.

Problems I encountered after circuit board and components plugged in:

1. Headlights do not go on. However, they go on when the highbeam swich is switched on. High beam switch does not light. -never did. Note. parking lights turn on normally as well as the dash lights and dome light. (Bad switch??)

2. Gauges work OK However, the oil pressure gauge activates with the key on and pins to the H. (high) This is with car not running and key turned on. (I have the steering column down so the car is not running.) will the gague move to normal range when it starts. (is gauge OK??) Engine has new oil pressure switch.

3. The parking brake light does not light up when in Park. I beleive it worked before I messed with dash (possible fuse??)

4. For some reason the console light blinks when the lights are turned on. When working on the car I found that the bulb was removed and I replaced it and discovered the blinking. I dont know if it is connected with the dash because it did this before i worked on the dash. Blinkers work OK.

very odd maybe shorted with blinker?? Blinkers work and flashers work

everything else works OK. Wiring in dash appears original and unmolested no cuts or splices even original radio..

Generally everything works OK AC, Wipers, remaining gauges dash light etc.

I edited out your E-mail address since if you are answered in this fashion, anybody else looking for a answer to a similar or exact same problem will not find it. This degrades the forum and what it is used for.

Also, now every dickhead and spammer have your e-mail address for unwated E-mail and hacking.

I recently replaced the circuit boards (new) on a 340 Swinger rally dash (1970) and cleaned and checked wiring. Some pins were borken. The three pins that are on the left side that connect the dash lights, left directional and high bram indicator.

Following the replacement I encountered some problems that I was hoping someone on this site could help diagnose.

Problems I encountered after circuit board and components plugged in:

1. Headlights do not go on. However, they go on when the highbeam swich is switched on. High beam switch does not light. -never did. Note. parking lights turn on normally as well as the dash lights and dome light. (Bad switch??)

2. Gauges work OK However, the oil pressure gauge activates with the key on and pins to the H. (high) This is with car not running and key turned on. (I have the steering column down so the car is not running.) will the gague move to normal range when it starts. (is gauge OK??) Engine has new oil pressure switch.

3. The parking brake light does not light up when in Park. I beleive it worked before I messed with dash (possible fuse??)

4. For some reason the console light blinks when the lights are turned on. When working on the car I found that the bulb was removed and I replaced it and discovered the blinking. I dont know if it is connected with the dash because it did this before i worked on the dash. Blinkers work OK.

very odd maybe shorted with blinker?? Blinkers work and flashers work

everything else works OK. Wiring in dash appears original and unmolested no cuts or splices even original radio..

Generally everything works OK AC, Wipers, remaining gauges dash light etc.

OK... You have multiple non connected (forgive the pun) issues going on here.

1) Check the actual Hi-Beam switch, if not it then check your Headlights.
As for the Hi-beam indicator lamp - check the bulb in the cluster - bulb is good? Check for power on the circut board trace to the socket.

2) This is a dead to ground short!! Remove the lead from the Oil Pressure Bell on the motor, turn key on, if it does NOT move the needle this is good. Then touch lead to output connector on Bell.... needle shoots to H? The Bell is no good.

3) Do you mean the Parking Brake indicator light? If yes, it has nothing to do with the fact that car is in Park or not. Once again, Check the Bulb 1st. Then check the switch on the top of the P Brake handle for correct position and operation.

4) This one is new to me!! LOL You are talking about the Shifter indicator light? If so check that the Orange wire from the console harness is plugged into a Orange wire in the main harness - if not change it to one.

Hope this helps you! I am very good at wiring in person but not so sure how good I am in long distance trouble shooting.

Later,
Bruce B.

-
Back