Help with electrical woes..

-

This Bad Demon

Reaction score
Good night. I have a 1972 Dodge Demon. What I am having a problem with is it keeps blowing the brake light fuse. I've replaced the brake light switch...Still blows...I disconnected the turn signal switch and it didn't blow....BUT as soon as I hooked it up POP a next fuse gone....So I ran an independent ground from the turn signal switch and it still blows as soon as I step on the pedal....I did wire in a fuse box from a Plymouth Sundance but it wasn't blowing at first when I couldn't drive it....Right now i have a 30 amp fuse installed but no help ( dont flame me I dont know how to convert glass fuse rating into the up to date fuses so I installed one I thought would work)....Any help is appreciated

Have you tried removing the brake light bulbs one at a time? Sometimes a bulb gets shorted.

The turn signal switch is not "grounded" All functions through the TS switch are a series switched function, in a "hot" lead.

As above^^start by checking the rear sockets and grounds.

You can also isolate this

A....is it in the front, in the TS switch?

B....or is it further back?

by disconnecting the rear harness at the kick panel connector. This will leave the brake switch power going into the TS switch. If it doesn't blow a fuse, it's "back there" somewhere

I would also pull the rear seat out and inspect where the rear harness goes through the area of the bottom corner of the seat, look for bare, aprasion, etc.

Have you tried removing the brake light bulbs one at a time? Sometimes a bulb gets shorted.

Yes I have...I know the passenger side brake light doesn't work sometime so I started there. Fuse blew. Left the bulb out and went to the drivers side. Same thing happened. Unplug the connector along kick panel....Same results...

Sounds like you are going the right path. Is there another connector ahead of the last you unplugged?

Plus, make sure you listen to Del on this. He is like an electronics genius. If anybody can help, he can.

Yes I have...I know the passenger side brake light doesn't work sometime so I started there. Fuse blew. Left the bulb out and went to the drivers side. Same thing happened. Unplug the connector along kick panel....Same results...

Then I would suspect an issue in the TS switch or wiring to it in the column. Has the TS switch been replaced with an aftermarket cam or aftermarket wheel?

I'm all ears on this...electrical isn't my forte...Yea I unplugged the turn signal switch and it didn't blow...When I tried to connect it it popped the fuse...So after doin some checks I thought the white wire for the brake light from the t.s switch so I ground it thinking I could bypass the t.s switch but still it blew and from what I just read it's not what I thought it is.

Then I would suspect an issue in the TS switch or wiring to it in the column. Has the TS switch been replaced with an aftermarket cam or aftermarket wheel?

Since I've had the car I've only replaced the ignition switch. It does have an aftermarket wheel but this problem just come about....

Do you have a factory service manual with a good wiring diagram? FACTORY, not Haynes or Chiltons?

Do you have a factory service manual with a good wiring diagram? FACTORY, not Haynes or Chiltons?

Del does!

And think he has a template response ready! So we will wait for his excellenent response!

Makes me smile every time!

Sound like the issue is in the TS.

Do the tail lights both lite up?

Unplug the connector along kick panel....Same results...

Fuse blows with the kick panel connector disconnected? HAS to be in TS switch or in the very short wire from the TS switch to the brake switch

TS switches can fall apart internally. I would suspect that

Sound like the issue is in the TS.

Do the tail lights both lite up?
Yes both tail lights are on.

Fuse blows with the kick panel connector disconnected? HAS to be in TS switch or in the very short wire from the TS switch to the brake switch

TS switches can fall apart internally. I would suspect that

Ok....I was thinking the same thing. Just wanted to get some experienced help with the issue. Is it anyway I could temporarily bypass the t.s switch until I can ship one in?

Not that easy. You would have to make up some sort of jumper connector to replace it. You need to tie both rear lamp wires together, and tie them to the brake switch wire.

If you carefully take the switch apart, you might be able to see what's wrong. This gets harder (LOL) with the "newer" switches with the hazard switch in the TS switch.

If you are sure that the switch is bad, you can cut the wires up by the switch, pull them out, and splice the appropriate wires together.

I cannot recommend you do so. Might be inviting a ticket

Just giving an update. My new t.s switch arrived today so I pulled off the steering wheel and found the old switch broken. The old one is the second pic....New one at the top.
20160504_191033.jpg
20160504_181023.jpg

Just giving an update. My new t.s switch arrived today so I pulled off the steering wheel and found the old switch broken. The old one is the second pic....New one at the top.View attachment 1714931743View attachment 1714931744

Lots of little shavings in there. That is why I asked if it had an aftermarket wheel. Sometimes the hub contacts the switch and you get shorts!

Have your problems been resolved?

Lots of little shavings in there. That is why I asked if it had an aftermarket wheel. Sometimes the hub contacts the switch and you get shorts!

Have your problems been resolved?
I totally missed you asking that...Yea it is an aftermarket wheel....I checked the brake lights and they are working. One socket has a ground issue I have to deal with

-
Back