Help with Engine I.D

-

Scampire

Reaction score
hey fellas. to make a short story long: a friend of mince went to the jefferson WI. car show about a decade ago looking for an engine stand. he ran into a guy who told him he had a stand for 50 bucks but he would have to take the engine on it with him.. and it was in the dudes basement. anyway he somehow got the engine out of said basement and found out it was a Moopar. my frind is a Chevy guy so he let it sit in the corner for a decade and forgot about it till he cleaned out his garage. so he sold it to me last fall for $50 and its been sitting in MY garage for a year now. I only know that its a Mopar and a v8 so any help I.D.ing it would be awsome. thank you.

101_0178.jpg

101_0180.jpg

101_0206.jpg

Thar she blows, she's a 440 laddy, and looks like a 73. That number on the side of the block under all that grease and muck should be 3698830-440. Also just to the right of the distributor hole (6 inches) you'll see a flat part of the block just in front of the valley pan and it should be stamped with a letter -440 :evil2:

She's a crusty ol' girl. Probably out of a motorhome. Definately a keeper!
toolmanmike

I'd say it is a 74 440. Oct of 73 for a casting date should be an early to mid year 74. Heck of a deal for a 440 intake to oil pan. Does it have a center sump oil pan or a rear sump pan? A rear sump will be a truck engine, while a center sump is likely to be a car pan. I don't know what kind of pan a motorhome had.

Hey Scamp, just curious, when you get a chance pop off the tappet covers and look for a 7 digit casting number on top of the heads. The number will probably end with a 452 or 902.

Yup, they're for the 74 400/440 engines and I'm running them on my 383 with a lot of port work. The 902 also has the hardened valve seats for unleaded gas.

-
Back