Help with exhaust manifolds for a 66 cuda

-

my66fish

Reaction score
I've searched looking for info on the exhaust manifolds for a 66 Barracuda and coming up short.
A friend of mine gave me a set of exhaust manifolds from a 92 dakota which was told to him would fit on the early a-bodies. I have two questions.
Does the engine need to be lifted to get the drivers side factory exhaust manifold off? I have tried every angle and removed the starter and exhaust to try and get this manifold off but I have not had any luck.

What Modifications need to be done to have these dakota manifolds fit.
My car has power steering. I was told they will not fit with power steering. Only with manuel steering.

Can anyone give me guidence on what direction I need to take?

thanks,
David

I've searched looking for info on the exhaust manifolds for a 66 Barracuda and coming up short.
A friend of mine gave me a set of exhaust manifolds from a 92 dakota which was told to him would fit on the early a-bodies. I have two questions.
Does the engine need to be lifted to get the drivers side factory exhaust manifold off? I have tried every angle and removed the starter and exhaust to try and get this manifold off but I have not had any luck.

What Modifications need to be done to have these dakota manifolds fit.
My car has power steering. I was told they will not fit with power steering. Only with manuel steering.

Can anyone give me guidence on what direction I need to take?

thanks,
David

I would recommend staying with the factory exhaust manifolds especially if the motor is a 273/318. I've never installed these on a car with power steering but can assure you, you will need to modify(cut) the steering column a bit. Do not cut anything until you know if it will work. I have yet to see anyone using these with power.
To remove the old manifold, remove the driver side mount and raise the engine with a jack under the pan about an inch. Keep arms & fingers up top. Don't trust the jack.
Heres a pic of clearance issues.

not only do the dakota manifolds come in contact with the steering column, but also directly hit the power steering gear box. From personal experience, they are not going to fit a power steering a-body

I am going to be installing 92 manifolds in my 64 Valiant this winter, so I will post results then..................

Thanks all for your input. When I'm done with the rebuild of my 273, I estimate the engine to push approximately 275 to 300 horse. From what has been posted I really don't think there is much value or gain in trying modifications to the steering column or to the dakota exhaust manifolds.
Thanks again.

I have a 66 CUda... it has a /6 k frame and a 69 340 TA motor backed by a built 272 tranny... I had my headers custom made to my configuration ( NOT CHEAP $1300)
I have no issues with the starter or oil changes....

I have a set of 66 Barracuda 273 exhaust manifolds media blasted and Ceramic coated black if you have a 273 or a 318 they will fit....if you have a 340 they will not...If you want a set of Stock 273 exhaust manifolds let me know, they bolt right up and require no modifications and served the 273 HiPo in 66 just fine.

I really am not understanding the reluctance to fit the Dakota manifolds. I have heard stories of guys who spent a week fitting a set of headers that were supposed to fit. Which included starter changes, suspension changes, and other major changes to shoehorn in a set of headers. I know that headers give that great exhaust sound and enhance the sound of a bumpy cam, but anyone who really knows will tell you that you dont have to make a "big cam" sound to make big power.Ive talked to a few guys who pm'ed me that they made them fit a p/s car but had to grind a few places and make a few mods. If I have to spend some time to make them fit that;s exactly what I will do because when I'm done I will have a permanent ,long term ,maintenance free exhaust situation that I dont expect to have to do anything to for 10 to 15 years. For me the extra heat generated, burnt wires, constant gasket replacement, plug acess etc. etc. constitute working on the car instead of cruising it. I guess it all really boils down to what you want. For me, a crusier that will run mid 12's yet dependable and smooth enough that my wife can take it down to the grocery store, and that I'm not having to work on every time I want to drive it.

That's what I'm looking to do make my car a great cruiser to take out and enjoy. As I'm getting older I'm tired of all the dumb headaches from exactly what your talking about. I want my fish to be quick and have a nice get up and go and be able to know it's going to start and keep running. When the drive train is done it will push around 300 hp and that's good enough. My last car I had was a 75 dart sport that was more for the track and it was a pain in the butt because I was always working on trying to get the bugs out. My wife would say you work on the car more then you drive it.

340 manifolds rock. Dakotas cut to fit are even better (ask Richard Ehrenberg) 273 manifolds into a dual system work well too. Headers for these cars suck for cruisers unless you get TTI's or Dougs. They are the only headers that FIT. 300HP is well within the flow of manifolds, but 300 from a 273 will be a cranky, lopey motor. I say try the Daks (early ones with the larger dump) and let us know the results.

-
Back