Help with identifying engine

-
Nidhögg;1970328114 said:
The previous owner has a set of M/T valve covers that I can get, if I can get a set of Ford (I think) covers for his car.. So for the moment I´m hoping I can get those instead :)

Will look up the other guy and see where he lives :)

If you do score the M/T's and want them customized, our resident powder coater Cudachick1968 has done amazing things with valve covers like those.

She runs a small shop and does very nice work - she takes pride in her quality and artistry. She usually has a 2-3 month backlog so keep that in mind if you use her services. She's that good/popular.

Here's a link to her web site with a picture of a very nice set of 6 color finned valve covers that she did. She can do wonders with them, let your imagination go (or let her imagination go).

http://phoenixspecialtycoatings.com/

Here's a set of '67 Commando valve covers that she refinished for me with the black wrinkle coat that is difficult to match the proper texture:

View attachment 67 Cmndo A03 B.jpg

View attachment 67 Cmndo A04 B.jpg

View attachment 67 Cmndo rt B.jpg

The end result is worth the wait.

Wow, those look amazing..
If I can get the valve cover I will seriously consider getting them powder coated, looks great! :prayer:

Btw, is there any date casts on the heads?
Then it would be possible to see when they were manufactured and which engine they belong to?

So, I just checked the cast number on the intake:

Using the link provided earlier, it´s a 1971 340-4 intake manifold.
And the heads are either from a 340 (2.02") or 360 (1.88"), but the 360 head should be easy to machine up to 2.02", right?

So, if I can just find the right thermoquad carb for the intake, it should be a nice little engine I presume?

Thursday, April 15,1971 build date. 45th one built on the day.
The heads are only going to tell you casting # with valve cover off, but if they did in fact come off a 360, should have 1.88" intake valve. Even if they were original J heads for that engine, with 2.02" intakes you wouldn't be able to tell without pulling them off. Should have a forged crank, and your harmonic damper will indicate that, the cast damper says "use with cast 340 crank only" and has an offset counterweight cast into it.

I couldnt see any text on it.
Also not sure where the offset counterweight is, but it´s got a "dent" in it, if that´s what you mean?
See the picture, the cast dent is on the top:

Hey again, quick update on the engine. I checked the intake valves, and they were indeed 2.02". That would mean that the heads are the original '71 340 heads, and not 360 as stated by the previous owner?

krazykuda, I will get back to you tomorrow about the head gaskets thickness, forgot all about it tonight. Since the heads seem to be the original heads, and the engine hasnt run since at least 1981 when it was only 10 years old I think it´s fair to assume that it is the original gaskets :)

Nidhögg;1970339409 said:
Hey again, quick update on the engine. I checked the intake valves, and they were indeed 2.02". That would mean that the heads are the original '71 340 heads, and not 360 as stated by the previous owner?

krazykuda, I will get back to you tomorrow about the head gaskets thickness, forgot all about it tonight. Since the heads seem to be the original heads, and the engine hasnt run since at least 1981 when it was only 10 years old I think it´s fair to assume that it is the original gaskets :)

Awesome! You scored a nice virgin 71 engine!

Keep us posted. We can help you with any questions.

You should see some nice "eyebrows" on the pistons when you pull the heads (valve clearance pockets). You have the 10.5 compression, forged crank, forged rods, cast pistons, 2.02 intake valves, 268/276 cam, and spreadbore intake. Also factory windage tray.

That's a good start.

Awesome! You scored a nice virgin 71 engine!

Keep us posted. We can help you with any questions.

You should see some nice "eyebrows" on the pistons when you pull the heads (valve clearance pockets). You have the 10.5 compression, forged crank, forged rods, cast pistons, 2.02 intake valves, 268/276 cam, and spreadbore intake. Also factory windage tray.

That's a good start.

Yeah, it seems like I got a really good engine :)
Yeah, I noticed it had those eyebrows on it, and I have to say, the engine is in great condition.. Barely noticeable turning points, no rust, almost no wear on the bearings..

But I´m still gonna buy some new parts like bearings, gaskets etc, might as well when I have it open now.
Im thinking of buying a gasket set from Fel-Pro and adding the 1008 Performance Head Gaskets, should be covered pretty good then?

I measured the head gaskets that was on btw, 0.033" or 0.85mm.
The 1008 gaskets are 0.039", so it should be the best replacement option?

Nidhögg;1970341921 said:
Yeah, it seems like I got a really good engine :)
Yeah, I noticed it had those eyebrows on it, and I have to say, the engine is in great condition.. Barely noticeable turning points, no rust, almost no wear on the bearings..

But I´m still gonna buy some new parts like bearings, gaskets etc, might as well when I have it open now.
Im thinking of buying a gasket set from Fel-Pro and adding the 1008 Performance Head Gaskets, should be covered pretty good then?

I measured the head gaskets that was on btw, 0.033" or 0.85mm.
The 1008 gaskets are 0.039", so it should be the best replacement option?

If you're able to order from Mancini Racing, they have good deals on gasket kits:

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/enteargasset.html

Here are some "refresh" kits:

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/enrebkit.html

Getting ready to order some parts now (Mancini seems to have some great gasket kits, thanks for the tip!), but I´m a little unsure about what to do with the carb..
Should I try to find an original 4973, or get another?
Been reading that it doesnt perfom that great, and that they were recalled in 1972?
Should I get a later one, or another brand altogether?

Since it´s not the original engine for the car (273 original) I´m not doing a 100% rebuild.

Nidhögg;1970358645 said:
Getting ready to order some parts now (Mancini seems to have some great gasket kits, thanks for the tip!), but I´m a little unsure about what to do with the carb..
Should I try to find an original 4973, or get another?
Been reading that it doesnt perfom that great, and that they were recalled in 1972?
Should I get a later one, or another brand altogether?

Since it´s not the original engine for the car (273 original) I´m not doing a 100% rebuild.

I prefer to use square bore carburetors myself. The Edelbrock LD340 is the best street strip dual plane intake. They are not made anymore, but you see them for sale once in a while.

Here's a picture of an LD340:

View attachment LD340 A01 B.jpg

Another opltion is the new The Wiand 8022 Stealth intake manifold:

View attachment large8022.jpg

CHRYSLER SMALL BLOCK STEALTH™ INTAKE MANIFOLD
PART #: 8022

Features
High Rise Dual Plane Design
Square Bore Carburetor Mounting Flange
No EGR Provisions
Power band: Idle-6800 RPM
Height: Front 4.88", Rear 5.94"
Port Size: 1.96” height 1.00" width

Here are the recommended Holley carburetors for it.

I like the 80457 it is 600 cfm vacuum secondary with electric choke and calibrated for a late 60's v-8. Mancini also carries the 80457, ask them about the stealth intake, if not try Summit Racing for the intake and/or carb:

P/N DESCRIPTION
0-80457S 600 CFM Four Barrel Vacuum Secondary
0-80508S 750 CFM Four Barrel Vacuum Secondary
0-4778S 700 CFM Four Barrel Double Pumper

Here's the link:

http://www.holley.com/8022.asp

Or if you wish to have the original carb (Carter spreadbore thermoquad) rebuilt, RustyRatRod (Rob) is a member here and has rebuilt many carburetors for members. He does a good job and they run well after he works on them. He's near Atlanta, GA if the shipping won't kill you.

Looking at the stealth, you would have to find a place to mount the coil. There are bosses to mount it in the stock location on the LD340, but not the stealth.

You can also run the Edelbrock square bore carburetors. They are basically an updated Carter AFB.

Or if you want to go spreadbore and not use the Carter Thermoquad, the Holley replacement for the 71 340 carb is the 6711, but it doesn't have electric choke capability. Electric chokes are much more reliable for all round weather.

-
Back