HELP- with installing a torque converter -727 trans .

-

crossy

Reaction score
Is there a magic number of a measurement from face of bellhousing to lug on the torque converter. It has been way too long since I have done any Mopars. When I put this converter in the 727 and I turn and turn it, but it won’t go back any further than barely flush when installing. I can see by the difference between the flexplate and the back of the engine that it needs to be below flush at least a little.

I had a measurement of 1-> 1-1/8” on GM, and that always meant is was all the way engaged in the pump, THEN I could pull it forward to bolt up to flexplate and wound up with ¾”.

Does putting the 727 trans into a certain position help- like Nuetral vs. Park?? Thanx, Crossy

After you put the converter into the tranny, you'll have to turn the converter and barely pull it out and push back in as you turn the converter till it drops all the way in. Don't remember the exact measurement from the bell housing to the converter, but it's around a full inch or so.

After you put the converter into the tranny, you'll have to turn the converter and barely pull it out and push back in as you turn the converter till it drops all the way in. Don't remember the exact measurement from the bell housing to the converter, but it's around a full inch or so.
I tried that too before I came here, but I'll go back at it.

That video is definitely telling me it was not in far enough. I noticed the old converter had no weights on it(383) THE Mopar in my brain is coming back to me from my 318 vs. 360 days. )- this trans & converter came from a cast crank 440 so I guess I should knock the weights of the outside too-
ANYWAY- I measured inputs just to be sure and noted the NOTCH in the converter is .600 in the old converter & trans and only .400 in the replacement trans & converter. thanx so much Crossy.

If the converter is fully seated in the pump...move the converter back n forth...you should hear a clank..clank noise...that is the hub of the converter hitting the pump twang....

If the converter is fully seated in the pump...move the converter back n forth...you should hear a clank..clank noise...that is the hub of the converter hitting the pump twang....

I always get twangs and tangs mixed up. Please enlighten me before I try to engage the wrong one!

images

It seems to work better for me if the tranny pan is oriented horizontally.I also like to stick it in there 90* out from engaging the pump. Then I know what it is not supposed to look like. Then it is just a matter of making it look different,by coaxing.

That video is definitely telling me it was not in far enough. I noticed the old converter had no weights on it(383) THE Mopar in my brain is coming back to me from my 318 vs. 360 days. )- this trans & converter came from a cast crank 440 so I guess I should knock the weights of the outside too-
ANYWAY- I measured inputs just to be sure and noted the NOTCH in the converter is .600 in the old converter & trans and only .400 in the replacement trans & converter. thanx so much Crossy.
Yes you need to get rid of those weights is you have a 383. BTW: what yr is the trans your trying to install this converter in? If it's a 66 or older trans that converter won't work because they have a 19 spline input count. 67 and up are 24 spline

-
Back