Help with Insuring my Son's '68 Dart

-

Reddartowner

UCF Alumni....Go Knights!
Reaction score
We need help finding an insurance company that will insure my son's '68 Dart for its appraised value ($19,500). State Farm (our current company) will only insure the car for "fair market value", which of course means we'll get basically nothing if its stolen or wrecked. To insure it for the appraised value, they have to classify it as a "classic" and then we can't drive it more than 2000 miles per year. I have gotten a quote from Grundy, but they are prohibitively expensive for the other 2 vehicles we have to bring over to get them to cover the Dart (more than 2x State Farm's rates). The Dart is a daily driver (6000 +/- miles a year) and is not garaged.

Does anyone have any suggestions..?? I don't see why an insurer wouldn't just quote a price based on the appraisal, but apparently that's just trying to use common sense......

Thanks in advance.

Try Hagerty. They worked out great for my Dart and they have agreed values. I have mine at $24,000.00

I have gotten a quote from Grundy, but they are prohibitively expensive for the other 2 vehicles we have to bring over to get them to cover the Dart (more than 2x State Farm's rates).
You have two other classics insured with State Farm? Those aren't going to be agreed value either. Why can't you just insure the one car with Grundy? Is his age a factor? A lot of classic car insurance companies won't insure a driver under 25. They also require the car to be kept in a locked garage. I think you are SOL.

You have two other classics insured with State Farm? Those aren't going to be agreed value either. Why can't you just insure the one car with Grundy? Is his age a factor? A lot of classic car insurance companies won't insure a driver under 25. They also require the car to be kept in a locked garage. I think you are SOL.

The two other cars are just daily drivers, an F150 and a Pontiac. Grundy said I had to transfer those vehicles as well to get the Dart insured (it was an online application).

Does anyone have any suggestions..?? I don't see why an insurer wouldn't just quote a price based on the appraisal, but apparently that's just trying to use common sense......

Here's the deal, if you want classic car insurance it can't be a daily driver, no how no way.

It also has to be garaged, you also need a policy on another car for a daily driver.

Hagerty WILL insure it for agreed value, and will cover it if it's a total loss, BUT it cannot be a daily driver. Grundy is the same way.

You are trying to head in one direction and insure it in another.

I'm just looking to insure the car for a specific value, but as soon as I tell the insurer the age of the car, they brand it a "classic car" and won't consider anything but a classic car policy. I'm not looking for a bargain, just someone who is willing to insure the car for more than "fair market value" ......

The cheapest way is to buy him a daily driver and use the dart for special occasions.

Then get classic car insurance on the dart and cheap insurance for the daily driver with another company.

-
Back