Help with pertronix distributor!

-

akehurst89

Reaction score
Just bout a new pertronix distributor and the rotor isn't pointing at number one on the cap. How do u rotate the rotor to point at number one? Number 4. I have the car on tdc.

move the intermediate shaft....with large flat tip screw driver...

had same issue with non mopar distributor...and then switch back to Mopar distributor...

on mopar distributors..the rotor will line up with the slot on the bottom of the distributor...alot of aftermarket distributors are about 45 degrees off..

Unbolt ,pull distributor. Underneath is a slotted shaft,with a gear. You need to pull that gear up.And clock it fight.

Thank you 70aar:
move the intermediate shaft....with large flat tip screw driver.I usually pop it upwards,with a large blade screwdriver.

Had same issue with a Accel. I just looked at what hole in the distributor the rotor was pointing at, made that the #1.

I'm confused maybe I'm just over thinking sorry. The intermediate shaft is the shaft running through the gear that's on the cam. So I have to pop the cam gear out an rotate the shaft? Is that what your saying?

This is a intermediate shaft.

Attachments

• P3690715_thumb-1.jpg
    1,009 bytes · Views: 184
Just a question... Does it matter which position on the cap you use as number 1? As long as firing order is correct?

Had same issue with a Accel. I just looked at what hole in the distributor the rotor was pointing at, made that the #1.
:D

Just a question... Does it matter which position on the cap you use as number 1? As long as firing order is correct?

No it does not matter.
You can make any hole in the cap number 1 as long as the firing order is correct.
Some people just have to over complicate it so they have the number one wire at the front side of the distributor.
I'm one of em. :) but it does not matter to the engine at all.

here is what cause the problem...

slots on bottom of distributor are pointed up and down....mopar distributor the rotor lines up with that slot ...the aftermarket distributor is like i said..about 45 degrees off...

Attachments

• IMG_0828.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0827.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 179
I did not have an intermediate shaft lay around othewise i would have drop it into a short block and show where the slot on the intermediate shaft points with the aftermarket distributor.......

the slot will actually be parallel to the back of the block...and the rotor will point where the mopar distributor is...

Everyone seems to be assuming he has a SB engine, or maybe a BB or RB. He didn't bother to tell us, nor what distributor he has (photos?). Does Pertronix make distributors or just the ECU to install in a Mopar distributor?

Petronix makes distributors...and the process is the same...

either move the intermediate shaft or rewire the cap.....

thanks guys got it all figured out. appreciate the help its running great, just rewired the cap.

A question On the pertronics unit, I read if you replace the points with this unit you have to retime the car, is this true ??

A question On the pertronics unit, I read if you replace the points with this unit you have to retime the car, is this true ??

Yes, changing the trigger device requires a timing chk.
Especially point to electronic.
Where the points may have fired the coil at say 14 degrees, the replacement unit could fire it at 8, or 20 who knows.

-
Back