HELP with routing fuel lines-1971 Dart slant six

-

jayyzf

Reaction score
My son and I purchased a 1971 Dodge Dart slant 6 with a single barrel Holley carb (1656). The vehicle came with fuel lines disconnected or routed incorrectly. I need HELP with routing from fuel tank & pump to carburetor.

Since I recommended you post here, the least I can do is give you a bump for some info?

I can't help with your particular problem, but I'm sure some can. Good luck. :thumleft:

keep the filter vertical and away from the exhaust, ie straight down and then around the front.

if it's a CA car - it likely has 4 vent lines coming from the tank (one on each corner) going to a tube that goes up into the trunk on the drivers side.. this allows fumes to vent from the tank into the tube... then there's a line that runs from the tube up to the engine compartment where it goes into the PCV breather (at least on the V8 models).. as far as the fuel line, it goes from the tank to a short rubber line, (maybe 3" long) to a metal fuel line that goes along the passenger side of the car, underneath - of course - up to the passenger fender well - where it goes to a short rubber length of fuel line to the fuel pump.. then, from the fuel pump, you should have a metal line that goes up behind the alternator, along the top of the engine to your fuel filter - then to the carb inlet

Start by downloading a service manual

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=244981

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

Get as close as you can as there were changes. If there is no 71, get the 72 manual. Look in the fuel chapter, and in the emissions chapter. I believe your car still used the in-trunk vapor separator, not sure.

There will be two metal lines from the tank to front. The larger is fuel, the smaller is not only part of the emissions, IT IS the only vent. Make certain it is not plugged. Look for a crimp near the engine bay end of the tube. This is an anti--over fill valve, and must be free (not gummed up, etc)

EDIT. I believe the 71 Plymouth chassis manual will be from the "MyMopar" link. This will NOT be numbered in your viewer with the original "dash" page numbers, so you have to "play." Chapter 9A and 14 is what you want ("Cleaner Air" and "Fuel") I usually just type in a big number like page 300 and go up/ down by 100, until I bracket the chapter, then up / down by 50, etc, and then add or subtract

"Cleaner Air" starts page 551 (9A-1)

"Vapor savor system" is what you want, page 9A-6, so just page down

There is more info in the Fuel (Chapter 14) section under "Fuel tank" page 709

-
Back