help with some info on my duster

-

Jedibastard

Reaction score
just to give a little run down on what i did to try and find some info on my car.

before i left for the army, i really wanted to get some info on my duster. i only had it 2 months before i left. and 2 weeks before i left, ii hit a nasty dirt patch in the road, spun out, and most likely blew my shocks out. and most likely did some other damage, now that the car sits a little lower and theres almost no steering. any way......

i was told to go to my local dodge dealership and they would most likely be able to help with some general info in regards to vin numbers and paint codes.
well i did, and needless to say, the guy was a complete @$$ hole!!! he didnt really want to help me out. maybe because i wasnt interested in buy a car. well untill they fix some issues with the challenger, maybe ill own another one some day.

basically all i found out was that a had a 8 3/4 rear end, and the car used to be a slant 6. i was wondering where to look up the paint code, since i want to keep it the original color. i know the code is in the vin, but i wasnt sure on where i can look up the codes!

is there a place i can look it up? like a website?

also, im not sure to find out the spacing for new wheels. i have 18s on it i believe. and the wheels are aftermarket. and i was told to go with 15s. what would you all reccommend as far as wheels? im pretty sure that the spacing is stock as well and has not been changed. what is the stock spacing for the lug nuts?

im looking to put a 4 speed tranny in the car as well, and get rid of the 3speed thats in there now. I HATE IT!!!
would a 727 tranny be best?

thank you in advance for the help. i can get some more details if needed, but it may be limited. im in virginia, and the car is in texas.

You are all over the the place with your questions so I will answer one.

The paint code is not in the vin. It is on the fender tag and build sheet. Your fender tag is under the hood by the battery, you cant miss it.

If, for some reason, it's not there, you will need the build sheet.

The build sheet (and not every car had one in it) can often be found in the seat springs, on top of the glove box, really behind anything in the interior.

If you don't have a build sheet or fender tag, you are SOL.

haha sorry. just trying to figure some stuff out. and i wanna get it done when i get home.

when i was at dodge, they ran some number and the paint code came up, so i know that tag is there.

is there a webiste i can use? or should is it in a book?

The 4spd swap would be easier to do over the auto 727 which would bolt in and up without driveshaft issues. The lockdown linkage could be a pain to obtain.

I'd recommend 15 inch wheels. Know the bolt pattern size before you order them.
As far as "What wheel or style" goes, that is up to you. Go to the wheel and tire forum here to find out what other people have been able to fit on there Duster. Most posts have wheel sizes that included back spacing and there issues with wide wheels and what they did to get around a wheel and tire package that is normally to large for a stock wheel well.

What year Duster is it?

-
Back