help with starter solenoid on 68 dart

-

1nasty_dart

Reaction score
Hey guys the starter solenoid that came with the car was on its way out since I would have to jump it to start the car. I wanted to know if you can tell me what wires are what on the original one. Which I will post a pic of, there are 2 red wires which are power, a thick brown wire which seems to go to starter which I believe is ground and then there's a small yellow wire n a small brown wire.yesterday on the new solenoid there is 4 points at first we put power on right side and believe thick brown wire was on the left with the 2 small wires on the front. I had no power to anything so we found out the power is on the left side, so we moved the power wires to the left n left the brown wire on that side since at that time didn't really know what that was . and the car tired to start it self with the key off n drained my battery which was already weak. My friend had to leave so we just left it unplugged. Today he hold me he believes the thick wire is ground To move it to the other side we're we first connected the power line to which had no power.now I have power to everything , I tried to start the car but battery was to dead even with a jump but it sounded like it was going to start but drained battery as it cranked . I wanted to know if you guys can tell me what wire is what so when I go home I can make sure its right for when I try to start it . and the picture I'm going to post of new solenoid still has brown wire on positive side which I now changed. Sorry if I didn't explain well just not good with wiring and trying to get my friend the info

Attachments

• IMG_20150417_074140822.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_20150417_074936622.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_20150417_074916846.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 167
Assuming the wiring in the car is original...
18 ga. brown wire goes to the "G" terminal.
18 ga. yellow wire goes to the "I" terminal.
12 ga. brown wire goes to the center lug.
Two 10ga. red wires go to the large top terminal.
Nothing on that relay connects to ground.

The brown wire grounds out through the Neutral Safety Switch when the xmission is in park or neutral. You can temporarily ground it to check for starter operation but don't leave it that way or your car will start in any gear.

Are you trying to install the one in the top photo, or the one already mounted in the other two photos?

If the mounted one is "what I think" you cannot use it with an automatic transmission. Look it over carefully. How many terminals? 4? Or is there a 5th terminal on the back?

HOW IT WORKS

The "proper" starter relay is in the top photo. The big stud and the middle "square" terminal are the relay contacts

The "big stud" is fed battery power and provides power to one contact

The two "push on" terminals are the relay coil (magnet)

Power (battery) goes to the big top stud

The square terminal goes to the big thick no 12 wire that goes down to the starter This feeds power to the starter solenoid when the relay is engaged

The two small wires, yellow and brown, go to the push on terminals. Does not matter which one

The yellow is the ''crank'' signal from the ignition switch

The brown is grounded when the neutral switch is in park or neutral

The starter relay in the lower 2 pix is from a Ford system, and, as said, can't be used in the Mopar system as-is.

Your post is not very clear, so I will make some assumptions. You have removed the original starter relay and have replaced it with the black Ford-type starter solenoid. Is that correct?

If so, do the following:

The two red wires go on one of the large terminals.

The brown wire going to the starter goes on the other large terminal.

The yellow wire from the ignition switch goes to one of the small terminals.

The brown wire that goes to the trans neutral switch goes on the other small terminal.

If you put the brown wires on the wrong terminals it will not work. Use a voltmeter or test light to insure you have power on the yellow wire when the ignition switch is turned to the crank position. You may have damaged something else with your previous blind efforts. As long as the brown wire to the trans supplies a ground when in Park or Neutral it should work properly. This assumes the actual starter solenoid on the starter is working properly since you said the engine was cranking on its own.

Your post is not very clear, so I will make some assumptions. You have removed the original starter relay and have replaced it with the black Ford-type starter solenoid. Is that correct?

If so, do the following:

The two red wires go on one of the large terminals.

The brown wire going to the starter goes on the other large terminal.

The yellow wire from the ignition switch goes to one of the small terminals.

The brown wire that goes to the trans neutral switch goes on the other small terminal.

If you put the brown wires on the wrong terminals it will not work. Use a voltmeter or test light to insure you have power on the yellow wire when the ignition switch is turned to the crank position. You may have damaged something else with your previous blind efforts. As long as the brown wire to the trans supplies a ground when in Park or Neutral it should work properly. This assumes the actual starter solenoid on the starter is working properly since you said the engine was cranking on its own.

Yes you are correct sorry I'm not the best at explaining but I wired it up how you said and I grounded out the small brown wire n fired right up !!

Glad it works for you! It is your car!

Why bastardize what looks like a clean (MOPAR) engine compartment with some FOMOCO stuff?

Those MOPAR relays are available everywhere!

Glad it works for you! It is your car!

Why bastardize what looks like a clean (MOPAR) engine compartment with some FOMOCO stuff?

Those MOPAR relays are available everywhere!

To be honest I have no idea , my friend said he could get me one in 2 days so I told him to get it. Don't really know why I didn't think about getting oem lol

I still do not understand how you wired this up PLEASE CHECK that the starter DOES NOT OPERATE with the transmission in "drive" or 1, 2 or reverse

Do you have the part no. for that thing?

-
Back