help with torsion bar bushing question please

-

65cudalover

Reaction score
I just got car (65 cuda) back from repairing trans line and noticed one of my torsion bar bushings had fallen apart and after a little tug had come completely out. Is this replaced by just taking bolt off and retightening? Can car be driven? It is the bushing on passenger side in front side of frame so it is easy to see and get to from under the hood. I wanted to go to marley tonite but am now reluctant to drive until I replace bushing, should be easy to get from PST or similar site, maybe even Napa? I was also told by transmission guys that my carb linkage is wrong and not allowing trans to shift into passing gear ect. Where and how do I get this fixed/adjusted tranny is not my forte

I just got car (65 cuda) back from repairing trans line and noticed one of my torsion bar bushings had fallen apart and after a little tug had come completely out. Is this replaced by just taking bolt off and retightening? Can car be driven? It is the bushing on passenger side in front side of frame so it is easy to see and get to from under the hood. I wanted to go to marley tonite but am now reluctant to drive until I replace bushing, should be easy to get from PST or similar site, maybe even Napa? I was also told by transmission guys that my carb linkage is wrong and not allowing trans to shift into passing gear ect. Where and how do I get this fixed/adjusted tranny is not my forte. Here are picts of the bushings on both sides one good (driver side) one bad (passenger)

Attachments

• IMAG0108.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 180
  • IMAG0109.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 184
  • IMAG0110.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 183
If it is just the front bushing and not the rear, just retighten the bolt.
(strut rod not torsion bar btw). Maybe it was loose before and caused it to fail?

had alignment in April beforestarted driving much this spring. I have put about 600 miles or so on new mechanical resto. most other front end parts are new.

Oops! No idea what happened there. Stop by NAPA and get a new bushing, back off the nut and reinstall the nut. I always crank the nut down until the bushing is compressed by half. I believe the strut rod nuts are self locking. Ypu may need a new nut if it doesn't hold. Wouldn't hurt to get the alignment checked because it could effect caster which can cause a pull. toolman

It appears that those retainers are on backwards. Not an expert on barracudas, but those bushing do not look right. They should almost be the same diameter of the retainer. You can just unscrew the nut change the bushing and reinstall it, but I think you have to torque it down when the weight of the vehicle is on the suspension.

Just a bit of advice from experience, to get the right bushings from NAPA, ask for bushings for a '65 Valiant....the ones they gave me for '65 Barracuda were wrong.

There are 2 different types of bushing that can be used. 1 set is a 1 piece, push in bushing. that is what was installed for the 65. That was the correct callout bushing by PST (If I'm recalling correctly). Obviously, it fell apart. That's repop rubber parts for you......

The other type is a 2 piece, hockey puck looking bushings as used on later cars. They too would fit if used. The bushing washer is installed correctly. Its even stamped on the washer how it goes.

I managed to replace the bushing with a one piece unit from NAPA. Yes the washer was correctly installed as it is stamped on the washer/retainer. When tightened down I noticed the rod was spinning with nut. Is it too tight? Is the other end not retained properly? I drove it and all was fine no issues, just concerned about the strut rod spinning. I tried to back off nut but all was spinning so I left it alone for now and doing more research. I did all this while on the ground, but now have access to lift and may put it up in air to recheck all. It did drive fine no pulling and tracked straight going down the road, so I am not too concerned yet.

Glad you got the bushing situation taken care of. Don't forget the kickdown linkage issue. Don't wnat to have a tranny failure..........

-
Back