Help with valve covers

-

downsr

Reaction score
I have a set of mopar performance black cast valve covers.They are on small block with elder brock heads.Having problems keeping them from leaking.Anyone have similar problem what type gaskets are best.Thanks

I cleaned the surfaces and then cleaned again , then a thin layer of RTV no more problems

theyre probably hanging up on the intake...check for clearance

Yes check them for hitting the intake.

The best gaskets are the MP grey rubber with steel core ones with aluminum valve covers. Pricey, but I had a set on my barracuda for nearly 20 years with the harder to seal lumpy cast iron heads. Only reason I don't still use them is I changed valve covers.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-5249581/overview/

dcc-5249581_w.jpg

look at the intake runners, the AL cover lip rides right on them propping them up. notch the lip or use thicker gaskets. even some stamped do that. thats why you see broken ears on cast covers, people wrenching down on them trying to stop leaks.

I run the mopar polished aluminum valve covers. Same as yours. I also run the six pack intake. On the drivers side I had to notch the cover. Notching the cover I think is a better idea than notching the intake. I use mopars gaskets that are rubber with steel core. Put the covers on with out the gasket and see where the interference is. Mark spot. Then put gasket on and cover look again. Even if the interference is on top against the intake if you crank the cover down, the cover can leak out the bottom. Because now the cover is flexing.

As mentioned, make sure the covers sit nice and flush to the head without the gasket, if not, mark and trim as necessary again WITHOUT gasket.

Once they sit nice, install as usual.

As mentioned, make sure the covers sit nice and flush to the head without the gasket, if not, mark and trim as necessary again WITHOUT gasket.

Once they sit nice, install as usual.

Like these from this board..

attachment.php

They're hitting against the intake runners put them on without gaskets mark where they're hitting and notch them with a file or a wizzer probably not more then a 1/8 to a1/4"..best gasket out there Moroso blue w/steel inserts...

-
Back