Help

-

64barracuda

Reaction score
I unattached the driveshaft from the axel of my 64 barracuda but I cant get it off of the transmission. I tried pulling it off. When that didnt work I tried to take off the 4 bolts but I couldn't get the wrench on the heads because they were too round. Any ideas?

Have you tried to wiggle it around while pulling on it? Maybe just been in there so long it may be jammed up. Or try to use a 2X4 and wedge it onto the front edge of the shaft and try to hit the end of the 2X with a 5 lb ball peen hammer and see if it breaks loose?

Have you tried to wiggle it around while pulling on it? Maybe just been in there so long it may be jammed up. Or try to use a 2X4 and wedge it onto the front edge of the shaft and try to hit the end of the 2X with a 5 lb ball peen hammer and see if it breaks loose?

No offense intended, but please don't do that with a pre 67 tranny. On the pre-67 tranny the yoke will stay on the tranny and doesn't just pull out like a 67 and later tranny.

If you can't get on the four bolts with a wrench or locking pliers, use a die-grinder with a cut off wheel to cut off the hardware and then remove the shaft from the forward yoke.

O, I wasn't aware that it doesn't pull out.

The pre 67's have what's called a split yolk; the tranny yolk stays with the tranny. That's why you have to split the yolk to remove the driveshaft by removing the hardware. The 67 and later models have a slip yolk which will slip out of the tranny once the driveshaft is disconnected from the rearend.

You just remove the four nuts at the trans end & tap it back & forth with a mallet or a 2x4 & it should pull off. Also, just an FYI, pretty sure it's the 65 & earlier that have the old style ball & trunion U-joint. 66 & later should have the cross type that everybody is used to seeing.

My Bad!! Sorry I didn't realize that the yoke is attached on the pre 65 models either. So Sorry

You just remove the four nuts at the trans end & tap it back & forth with a mallet or a 2x4 & it should pull off. Also, just an FYI, pretty sure it's the 65 & earlier that have the old style ball & trunion U-joint. 66 & later should have the cross type that everybody is used to seeing.

Yup 66 was the change over.

Those 4 nuts have to come off to remove the driveshaft in one piece. If you can't get a wrench to work, use a hammer and chisel to turn the nuts loose. As a last resort you can cut the nut and stud off as mentioned above but those studs aren't the easiest things to find unless you have a spare flange sitting around.

-
Back