Help!

-

retrorocker55

Reaction score
I 'm new here and not sure where to post this question,.....but here goes. Just picked up a 67 Barracuda and the guy couldn't find the keys. He says some parts are in the trunk,....but no key. A local locksmith first tells me the ignition key is the same as the trunk, so I pull the ignition and make a 60 mile round trip for him to then say the glove compartment and trunk use the same key. Well my car has no lock on the glovebox, and I've never heard of such a thing. Every car I remember ever having used the same key for the doors as the trunk. Was that the case for 67 Barracudas as well? I had a 67 way back in 1973 but my mind is getting weaker as I get older and I don't remember the details of which key opened what. I think the guy I bought the car from will eventually find the keys, (he's going through a divorce and the wife has the house for now) but I would like to get into the trunk to see what might be in there so I will know what to start looking for elsewhere.

Oh, bad news for me, huh? Thanks for the quick response. The locksmith will come to my house but it's a hefty charge,...maybe I will give the previous owner a little while longer to find the keys. I have plenty of other things to be working on until I can get into the trunk.

Oh, bad news for me, huh? Thanks for the quick response. The locksmith will come to my house but it's a hefty charge,...maybe I will give the previous owner a little while longer to find the keys. I have plenty of other things to be working on until I can get into the trunk.

i have just yanked out the back seat and got in there with a screwdriver or pliers and turned the lock from the inside to pop it open. ive also gotten lucky with other mopar trunk keys that were worn out and happen to work

On most A bodies, it isn't hard to get into the trunk from the cabin. You pull off the back of the rear seat and can crawl in. To open the trunk, just remove the latch (2 bolts) using a ~9/16" socket. Removing the seat back is a little tricky since it slides onto sheet metal holders that often latch (intentionally?), but you can reach your hand back and feel for those and maybe pop out w/ a long screwdriver. I have often brute forced them off. Barracudas are a bit more unique and there are several body styles, so tell us so an expert can answer.

I recently bought a dart body and here is how I opened the trunk. In your case remove the rear seat, and the cardboard shield if it's still there.

Beg, borrow, steal all the ratchet extensions you can find. Don't forget you can start with 1/2" drive and use a reducer to get down to 3/8. I think I ended up with about 16--20" of extension. The bolts should be a 1/2" socket.

Then just get yourself or your skinny evil twin as far into the trunk as you can, and unbolt the two latch bolts on the trunk lid

I'm 64, I have arthritis and lots and LOTS of shoulder, elbow and wrist pain, and I managed to do this OK. The drawing is a Dart lock, but yours should be very similar

Attachments

• lock.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 167
I have the fastback, all the interior is out, except the panel that drops down into the trunk,it's still in place.....any suggestions about getting past that? I appreciate all the help.

No advice on getting access. I was just going to add that not all chrysler had the seperate trunk/glove box key. There was an option for many years of a fleet package with 1 key that operates all the locks. I really wish someone would repo the fleet trunk lock cylinder so that all the old mopar owners could convert to a matching trunk/ignition key.

The absolute best time to make the claustrophobic crawl into the trunk is when you know that there are mice inside the car and who knows what kinds of bugs. I did just that last winter and it is a unpleasant experience.

I have the fastback, all the interior is out, except the panel that drops down into the trunk,it's still in place.....any suggestions about getting past that? I appreciate all the help.

-
Back