Help

-

Biffelina

Reaction score
Hi, I'm changing my steering box on my 72 dart and I have run into a problem..
I can't get this "balljoint" loose.. Sorry I don't know the correct words but here is a pic.

I can't get the "A" to get loose from the "B" how do I manage to make it loose?
Thanks from Sweden

image.jpeg

Does your new box already have the pitman arm on it with a new boot?

If so, whack it off there with a pickle fork.

Picture.aspx

No I have to reuse the "arm" and the rubber thing, going to change all the rubber bushings and things later but I have to use the ones that's on it right now sadly.. :/

Pickle fork / ball joint splitter will work at center link connection. Some of these folks are going to suggest you use the same tool to get the pitman arm off the steering gear. This can damage the steering gear internally. A pitman arm puller is the proper tool for this task.

A pitman arm puller is the proper tool for this task.

Yep, pitman arm puller is what you need. Took me all of 2 minutes to pull the pitman arms off a pair of PS boxes and that included removing the large retaining nut with my impact gun. Yes, the boxes were on the workbench which made it a little easier.

Spray some PB Blaster on it and whack it with a 3lb hammer. Works every time. I should add that you hit the side of the center link not the threaded part

Last edited:
Leave the "B' hooked up to the "A", use a puller to remove "B" from steering box, re-install B on new steering box.

Coulda left the other "ball" thing hooked up too.

Last edited:
Do not use a pickle fork. It will damage the boot. Use a large ball peen hammer and give a few hard smacks at arrow C. This will momentarily elongate the hole and cause the link to come off. Problem solved.

LINKAGE.jpeg

Do not use a pickle fork. It will damage the boot. Use a large ball peen hammer and give a few hard smacks at arrow C. This will momentarily elongate the hole and cause the link to come off. Problem solved.

View attachment 1714940250

There it is. :D
I don't like having to do that, but I will if it's all I have to work with.
One small addition would be to put the nut back on 3 or 4 threads before you smack it since you have to re use the joint as it will protect the threads when you miss arrow C.
Now here's hoping he has a ball peen hammer.

Allright, think i got it now!

I have another question, is it possible to get the steering box out without tilting/pulling out the engine? It's is extremely tight with the headers in the way right now..

I have loosen the headers, removed the starter, pulled out the torsion bar, removed the steering column from the box, I didn't manage to loosen the "A" from the "B" but I did get the "B" of The box.. Now I'm kind of stuck :/ I cant reach the bolts that's holding the box itself to the frame because this fu*king headers is in the way..
Have anyone manage to Change the box with the engine still in the car with longetube headers?..
It is a 318..

-
Back