Help

-

bozvaliant

Reaction score
Hi.
My 74 Dart steering box is shot. I ordered the large sector Bergman power steering box from Summit 800127. When I tried to fit the steering arm onto the box, the splines were too large. Now I have ordered the small spline box, 800126 and not the splines seem loose. The only thing I know, is that when I cleaned the engine compartment when I installed the 360, I found out that the car was in a collision on the right front. Is it possible that someone mixed and matched parts on my car? Can I get a 72 and earlier steering arm and idler? I have already installed all new bushings and tie rods. This one has me stumped.

Did you torque the nut, it is a lot IIRC!
The arm should slip on easily and you should be able to feel the splines engage, but might need to torque the nut to spec to have it not feel loose.

How about a photo of the parts you're working with? Maybe there was a k-member and linkage change? Wrong box to begin with? Who knows when we have to do this blind.

The sector shaft is a taper fit and the pitman arm might seem loose until you torque the nut to spec. Why would you have gone through Summit when Bergman is a member here and would have gladly guided you to purchasing the correct part?

The sector shaft is a taper fit and the pitman arm might seem loose until you torque the nut to spec. Why would you have gone through Summit when Bergman is a member here and would have gladly guided you to purchasing the correct part?
I'm sure Peter is a great guy and is very knowledgeable. I have texted him about buying a steering box from him. He gave me his number from when a friend of mine bought a total conversion for his 67 Barracuda and ran into some problems. I haven't heard a word. I needed the box very quickly and Summit had it in stock. I believe that there are only 2 different boxes available. 800126 and 800127. I know that Peter is very busy, but it's been a few weeks and still no response. His website says to email or text him anytime. I would love to give my money to the independent shop vs the large corporation.

I'm sure Peter is a great guy and is very knowledgeable. I have texted him about buying a steering box from him. He gave me his number from when a friend of mine bought a total conversion for his 67 Barracuda and ran into some problems. I haven't heard a word. I needed the box very quickly and Summit had it in stock. I believe that there are only 2 different boxes available. 800126 and 800127. I know that Peter is very busy, but it's been a few weeks and still no response. His website says to email or text him anytime. I would love to give my money to the independent shop vs the large corporation.

Lord have mercy. Have you youngins stopped using the phone to actually call somebody? I've spoken to him before. I called, left a message and he called me back within the hour. CALL him.

-
Back