Helping a buddy w/ 383 71 Dart, MM probs

-

Kidd

Reaction score
So I helped a buddy stab a 727 and 383 into his Dart. I put the trans cross member he had in, and then we went to do the engine mounts.He had bought Trans Dapt conversion mounts and new rubber bisquits.the mounts are slotted up and down.....but with the rubbers placed verticle, there is no way the holes line up.It looks like if you turned the rubbers sideways it would......but thats wrong.Correct? The rubber section should go up and down correct? If we do that then the trans wont bolt up with the crosmember mounted.
I looked on ebay, and found some mounts sort of like his......but they are slotted back and forth, so these might work.I havent seen any pics posted of what these Trans Dapt mounts look like in use.and if so, what trans crossmember was used?
I havent done a BB swap in 20 years...and when I did I used my smallblock trans crossmember to locate the install, and made my own mounts .I am just trying to gather some info to help my buddy, as this project has been stalled out for several years....helping motivate him, and donating time, so all help and pics I can share with him is appreciated.
Andrew/Kidd

I too have the Trans-Dapt mounts (SB-BB).. this is interesting to hear I plan to use the slant 6 trans X member with a poly mount with them - I don't have a stock K member though.. (QA1 tubular)

I have yet to stab my motor in, assembling the motor today, and waiting on the converter from a fellow member yet.. I will post up my results when I can..

I dont know about BB mounts but the SB mounts are keyed,so theres only one way to install them. And only one way they will lay on the K. And yes on SBs the rubber biscuits go vertical.Sometimes the brackets on the engine have to be pushed up tight to the block, before tightening the mounting bolts.
Have you tried one side at a time?

I gave him a spool mount for the trans, he said it would work......So, I will check in with him later today. He did stoip by and show me a pic, and the instructions look like the biscuit looks like it is suppoosed to lay sideways....to me, it seems strange to lay it on the horizontil, and stress it that way, but heck, I dont know.LOL
Will update you guys as I know more, and pass on info to him.....will go over next weekend and help him again if its not done.
Andrew/Kidd

Do yourself a favor and mock EVERYTHING UP........Including headers/torsions bars.....I'm building a 72 Dart for my Dad w/400/727 using TransDapt mounts and Hedman B body headers. The trouble I had was the biscuit mounts you get with the kit are too thin....I had some thicker ones laying around that solved alot of clearance issues.......** I really don't see how the thin ones would have worked at all ** I mounted the trans first and then checked the engine mounts....pass side was good but drivers side needed some work to line up.......In the end... I loosened up the trans mount and slid everything back as far as I could so the headers cleared the steering linkage. In doing this I had to modify the K frame mounts; Pass side slot had be widened/ Drivers side had to be redrilled and notched for oil pump clearance. I still had to massage the headers for the torsion bars and mini starter clearance. Keep in mind I did this for B body headers...Depending on the headers, you might be able to move the engine around and use the mounts without any trouble. Heddman B body headers and TransDapt mounts are less than $300 from Summit with free shipping....A day or two of trial and error and you got BB A body :cheers::cheers::cheers:

He has fender well headers.....but I think I tigehtened down the trans mount....crap, didnt think of that!
I told him we should slot the frame so the mounts will slide back and forwards....Thanks for the imput!

-
Back