helping a military family in dire need

-

afbill

FABO World Ambassador
Reaction score
Last night about 2 hours before we left Kadena AB, Japan headed for Hickam AFB we got picked off to do an emergency Med-Evac out of Yokoda AB, Japan into Hickam. It was the critically ill 2 year old son of a young GI.

Everyone hates at least some part of their job. I have to put up with a lot of military B.S. and have about 5000 rules and regulations to follow. When I travel I work ungodly hours, my sleep cycle gets all jacked, I eat "gas station' food for days at a time, most of my sleep comes on a loud *** jet airplane, and to top it all off: just the stress of being responsible for making a multi million dollar jet transport go half way around the world and back in one piece would drive a mere mortal insane. (just kidding about the mere mortal part).

Being a flying crew chief on cargo planes I've done a lot of military medical evacuation missions over the last 10 years. Quite a few human remains transfers also. Whether it be from the battle field to Germany, Germany to Andrews, or Andrews to the wounded's home station it's very sad but seen as "part of the job". Being able to help this family though has made all the B.S., long hours and gas station food worth it. I hope we got him here in time. I'll never know.

If your children are close, give them a hug. If not, give them a hug the next time you see them.

Not much to add to that my friend.................

I will add, THANK YOU for your SERVICE!!!!

I will hug all my children and send prayers for the young guy that is ill!!!!

Hang in there Bill! When it's time for you to retire, you'll surely miss it. (Ask me how I know!).

Also, thanks for your service!!!

Hang in there Bill! When it's time for you to retire, you'll surely miss it. (Ask me how I know!).

Also, thanks for your service!!!

I know I'll miss it. I actually thrive on the stress of the job. When I'm on crew and we're sitting around joking and smoking it's not about having fun. It's about relieving stress.

On the way out we had to swap airplanes with March, AFB so we brought along a couple of young life support troops so they could swap their equipment between the two planes. These two young kids are amazed at the crap we go through. They think, "Oh, you guys just travel around the world and have a good time." They've about seen it all this trip and they are worn out and done. The one airman has a brother that's a loadmaster in the unit and she's already told him "I don't know how you guys can do this".

68dartman, thank you for your service too.

68gtxman.....thank you for your service too

Bill, words can't express how thankful me and my wife are for guys like you serving our country. Hopefully some day I can do something in return to help you

Bill, words can't express how thankful me and my wife are for guys like you serving our country. Hopefully some day I can do something in return to help you

Fishy, if you want to do something volunteer or give to the wounded warrior program or the uso. Thank you for your sentiments. I didn't mean for this post to be any type of call to duty or anything. I had a long *** day and I was just in awe of what we did. It wasn't just me. There were 4 pilots and 4 loadmasters and one crew chief (me) on the mission.

Fishy, if you want to do something volunteer or give to the wounded warrior program or the uso. Thank you for your sentiments. I didn't mean for this post to be any type of call to duty or anything. I had a long *** day and I was just in awe of what we did. It wasn't just me. There were 4 pilots and 4 loadmasters and one crew chief (me) on the mission.

I would love to volunteer but I am disabled. Multi level degenerative disc disease, diabetes, high BP and migraines have taken out my normal life. Been selling everything I can to raise money to help a niece in dire straits but as soon as finances are back to normal I will donate what I can to the wounded warrior program. BTW: I knew what you were saying. I just wanted to thank you for your service. When your disabled and can't do much you set back and really take notice how much others give

fishy, it's not about what someone does it's about what they CAN do. Thank you for what you do. I'm sitting here in my hotel room and I just can't get the vision of this baby out of my head. I wish I knew if he was ok. This is why air crew drinks so damn much

Prayers sent for him to be ok, take care Bill and hope you get good news soon, thanks for all you do :salut:

Prayers for the little boy. Thank you for all you contribute, even when in some cases you won't ever know the outcome.

The re-frag monster has reared it's head more than a few times during my time as a flyer (and maintainer). When I think about how huge it is for whoever is in need the personal inconvenience seems pretty small. The chance to make a difference makes the crappy deployments, active duty idiots, and other BS worth it. Hope the kid is doing better.

-
Back