Hemi Swap 2014 5.7 VVT

-
As 408 Swinger said, neither the 45 or 90 degree adapter will work with a QA1 in an A-body. It has to be a remote oil filter setup. The V8 mount on the right side gets in the way.

The Slant 6 offers more room for sure but the 45 degree adapter still doesnt fit without modifying the stock slant 6 K frame.

But a 90 degree adaptor or small tea cup filter will most certainly have better luck but i haven't personally tested that.

Here's some pics of a 45 degee + Slant 6 K frame + Schumacher mounts
View attachment 1715336773

View attachment 1715336774
Sounds like I should start shopping for a remote filter as well as some biscuit engine mounts. Have to find my spool mounts and put them up for sale. Parts for these things are expensive.

Mike

Sounds like I should start shopping for a remote filter as well as some biscuit engine mounts. Have to find my spool mounts and put them up for sale. Parts for these things are expensive.

Mike
This is the remote oil filter adapter RockAuto lists with the 2014 5.7 engine. More Information for HAYDEN 291 Any other suggestions?

before you start installing the wiring kit you may want to double check it will work with truck engine . from what ive read the trucks have different calibrations and programming , possibly even a different tone ring on the crank than the crate and car engines the kit was intended for . I could be wrong but it would suck to get it all put in and cant get the engine running right

before you start installing the wiring kit you may want to double check it will work with truck engine . from what ive read the trucks have different calibrations and programming , possibly even a different tone ring on the crank than the crate and car engines the kit was intended for . I could be wrong but it would suck to get it all put in and cant get the engine running right

Thank you Penski61,

That is something I have concerns about. The manual that came with it mentions it can work with 2014 Challenger engines. So my thoughts so far has been to find the differences between truck and car engine and change it over to car specs. AT the moment I was looking at changing over to car engine accessories and timing covers. The 6.1 intake or the edelbrock intake is preferred over the truck intake, well for me it is anyway.

I am also looking at removing the MDS system and getting roller lifters from something like the hellcat engine as they are supposed to be pretty sturdy.

If you have any suggestions on this or anything else please let me know.

Mike

honestly if it were me id sell the truck motor to get a car motor or sell the wiring kit to get the hotwire computer or efi source computer that you know will work with truck engine , would make everything a lot simpler in the process

honestly if it were me id sell the truck motor to get a car motor or sell the wiring kit to get the hotwire computer or efi source computer that you know will work with truck engine , would make everything a lot simpler in the process

Thanks Penski61,

It all comes down to money right now. Had I not stumbled on to the crate wiring harness I was going to mothball it and put an old 340 in it until things became more affordable. I need to balance the cost of conversion vs another engine.

Mike

Well Penski61,
You hit the nail square on the head. With this kit it will not work with the truck engine. So I am on the hunt for an engine. Don't really have the budget for it now so I may just put this on hold and use the 2 bbl slant for the moment. Or put the old 340 in it to prepare for the hopeful Hemi swap.

you could always keep the engine and sell the mopar crate kit , then buy hotwire kit or efi source . i know last month the mopar crate kits were on back order and people were looking for them , not sure if they are still on backorder or not though

Well Penski61,
You hit the nail square on the head. With this kit it will not work with the truck engine. So I am on the hunt for an engine. Don't really have the budget for it now so I may just put this on hold and use the 2 bbl slant for the moment. Or put the old 340 in it to prepare for the hopeful Hemi swap.
Might be interested in the kit if you let go of it. Starting my swap shortly and just picked a 5.7 car Hemi so will be looking for a kit before long....

Well Penski61,

@CichilDart, I sent you over a PM. Sounds like I can use some of the parts you mentioned that may no longer work for you.

Happy to work something out in order to keep your project going.

@CichilDart, I sent you over a PM. Sounds like I can use some of the parts you mentioned that may no longer work for you.

Happy to work something out in order to keep your project going.

Hi Ronald,

Thank you for your note, very kind and much appreciated. I meant to thank you prior to this, just trying to get my daily driver back on the road this last week. Fuel and electric problems, but almost done.

As for selling the kit I am not sold on selling it. I am still keeping an eye out for another engine at this point.

Mike

Hi Ronald,

Thank you for your note, very kind and much appreciated. I meant to thank you prior to this, just trying to get my daily driver back on the road this last week. Fuel and electric problems, but almost done.

As for selling the kit I am not sold on selling it. I am still keeping an eye out for another engine at this point.

Mike
Sure thing Cichil. If you decide it’s easier to sell your car type harness, and get a truck style harness for your current engine instead, for sure let me know. I’m probably still a month, or longer, out on needing one and would much rather help you out vs. just going and buying one. I picked up a new set of Schumacher mounts, and the oil adapter for mine last night from a guy that ended up with an extra set. Getting closer to being able to put this Hot Rod Hemi on the road!

Keep us updated on your build!!!

Well Penski61,

How did you find that out? From the little I've researched the only differences between car and truck Hemis are the intake/exhaust manifolds, front accessory drive and camshaft specs. Nothing that couldn't be "tuned out" with the unlocked car PCM I would think?

How did you find that out? From the little I've researched the only differences between car and truck Hemis are the intake/exhaust manifolds, front accessory drive and camshaft specs. Nothing that couldn't be "tuned out" with the unlocked car PCM I would think?

Within the instruction it mentioned it needed to be a Chrysler Car engine, a Challenger or Charger Engine.
Love to make it happen, suggestions welcome.

Mike

Within the instruction it mentioned it needed to be a Chrysler Car engine, a Challenger or Charger Engine.
Love to make it happen, suggestions welcome.

Mike

Oh well if FCA says it then, hmmm... lol. I thought we had at least one member on here who tunes G3 Hemis I'm sure they would know?

I'm glad I found this thread because it means the MP kit most likely won't work for my Hemi. 2014 5.7 out of a truck and it'll have a 6.4 SRT camshaft and Prefix/Arrow Racing single-plane 4-bbl intake with OCP throttle-body adapter to keep the EFI.

Hello Hemi Swappers!

I recently bought a 2014 5.7 VVT MDS 30K truck engine off ebay but have not opened it up yet.

I am still searching for what I want to do as far as computer and wiring harness. I do not want to run a carb, I want to stick with fuel injection. I have the factory harness and computer but I don't think I have the VIN.

I think when I flip the engine on the stand to replace the pan and windage tray I will look at the cylinder walls and check for wear or damage. I have access to one of the camera probes like harbor freight sells, you can also get them for some smart phones now. Figure I will remove spark plugs and look down from above to see the condition of the top of the pistons. Just don't want to tear it down at this point unless I need to. I want to make it run and take it from there.

I have been gathering parts for a few months now and would like to put down what I have and get your feedback on do's and don'ts of my project.

The car is a 71 Swinger, slant six, three on the tree stick. Yes, it has the anemic 7 1/4 rear and all drum brakes. I have an 8 3/4 that I need to assemble. Dr. Diff axles. Rear disc assembly. 3:23 sure grip (unless dear old dad threw it away.) Dr. Diff front disc brakes to add to the car as well. Sway bars etc.

I have a 727 core that I will either try and rebuild or use to mock up in the car until I find something already working.

I still need motor mounts and a lot of other things I probably have not even thought of yet.

What I have so far...

73-76 V8 K member (Spool mount)

P4529752AB 7/16" Bolt Flex Plate
Flex plate bolts.

Champion CC 1643 off of ebay, blemished(bent fins) $99.

MANCINI - 90 Degree Oil Filter Adapter Kit, 5.7 / 6.1
Item #: MRE-MM90FLTK

Milodon
Pickup 18331
Oil Pan Gasket 40750
Windage Tray 32010
Oil Pan Bolts 85025
Milodon Oil Pan 31000

Tanks Inc. Fuel Tanks TCR11D-T
Tanks Inc. Fuel Level Sending Units TAN-ORG
Tanks Inc. GPA Series Fuel Pumps GPA-4
Generic gasket between tank and trunk floor

Suggestions always welcome.

Mike
I have a complete Hot wire harness I did not use that I would love to see go to a good home. It is complete. I went a different way! Send me a PM if you are interested as I simply don't need it anymore. It is all labeled and sorted out already. Might save you some serious cash as I don't need to sell it for profit.

From what I have read the only reason the Mopar set up won't work with earlier hemis is the number of teeth on the crankshaft tone ring. If that is changed out to the appropriate number of teeth then I don't see why it wouldn't then work. I agree with MopaR&D that any differences between the truck and car engines should be able to be addressed through tuning. I would contact some of the Gen 3 hemi specialty shops to confirm or deny this:
MMX Modern Muscle Xtreme
shopHEMI.com
https://www.highhorseperformance.com/

In my case it is not going from newer to older but from Car Engine to Truck engine. I spoke with a company that sold tone rings for engines but when I brought up swapping to a Car tone ring they admitted they were not familiar with the differences. I need to dig through my email and see if I still have the emails. My initial thoughts were that I only need to swap the timing cover and maybe intake manifold and maybe lengthen some wires but there seems to be a bit more to it. Perhaps those links you shared can offer some resources.
Thanks Wailin D

Mike

From what I have read the only reason the Mopar set up won't work with earlier hemis is the number of teeth on the crankshaft tone ring. If that is changed out to the appropriate number of teeth then I don't see why it wouldn't then work. I agree with MopaR&D that any differences between the truck and car engines should be able to be addressed through tuning. I would contact some of the Gen 3 hemi specialty shops to confirm or deny this:
MMX Modern Muscle Xtreme
shopHEMI.com
https://www.highhorseperformance.com/

The differences from a truck to car are the intake, the ram uses a dual runner intake with a SRV valve that switches at upper rpm range. The front cover/and Accesory placement, and a slightly different camshaft. So, if you run a 6.1 intake that will eliminate that problem, I would go non MDS which is different lifters and plugs, and the crate hemi kit should work. The cam specs are so small of a difference to be a concern. We are only talking 15 HP between the two engines which is probably due to the dual intake setup. The crate hemi is setup as a non mds out of the box. If you plan on more HP down the road, then the crate hemi pcm is a little different to reprogram. You can't take it most speed shops like hemifever, MMX, or HHP as they deal with factory pcms(challengers,chargers hellcats). Not this factory modified version. So you need HP Tuners suite software to communicate and have a real good tuner email you one to get it dialed in. It that helps out any.

-
Back