hemi swap total cost

-

mopardemon340

Reaction score
new to the site and have a few questions. for everyone that put a hemi in what was the total cost of doing it all.. what are some of the best threads to read with the most info in them and easy to understand. Im a little ADD so long threads are hard for me to focus on reading it all. little help would be appreciated

both. want as much easy info I can get so I can decide what I want to do..

Gen III cheaper than Gen II.

For Gen III about the absolute cheapest, and I mean cheap cheap where you are making your own mounts, scrounging used parts out of junk yards, making your own wiring harness. 4K

Here's a typical rundown of the Gen III.

Motor 1500 to 7500 (this is for a brand new crate motor 392)
Wiring Harness and computer 1500 to 3500 (this is for a stand alone system like FAST)
Engine Mounts and headers 1000
Fuel System 500 1500 (Higher price represents custom in tank pump)
Cooling System 350 1000 (Higher price represents custom radiator and fan)
Misc 500 1000 (All the little stuff can add up fast)

Total 5350 to 14,500

The Gen III swap isn't cheap, but if you want a car that will run low 11s to high 10s all day long on pump gas with factory reliability then it's a heck of deal.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

I'd say the 4k number is probably pretty close. I was around $5k when I first was driving mine down the street, but I went the carb route, so the numbers were a little better initially. I've since swapped to fuel injection based on a good deal, but with all the options out there now you have quite a few different ways to go. If you have a decent setup already you can potentially get away with some stock parts, but everyone's situation is different. I used the radiator in my car just fine, but I've been told it was a C body radiator by someone at a car show. It's certainly bigger than normal, but it cools with zero problems, so you don't necessarily need a brand new aftermarket unit. Joe is pretty much on the money for prices though. Engine around $1500, fuel injection system around $1500, fuel system matters a lot of whether you go carb or injected. You can use factory manifolds, but headers make for a nice fit that's more or less "plug and play".

I originally looked at several builds for my car and kept coming up with a similar price no matter what I did. I looked at stroked small blocks, supercharged small blocks, aluminum big blocks, and gen 3 Hemis and all of there were coming in around that $5k minimum price tag. You can always scrounge up some good deals if you're patient and keep you eyes peeled though. It's also equally easy to spend money twice by not having a solid plan from the get go (ask me how I know...). The gen 3 Hemi has some pretty huge power potential without even needing too many aftermarket parts though, so that was a main selling point for me. Getting 400 hp out of one takes almost nothing, whereas building up an older 360 or something like that requires a lot of work and proper part selection and they just aren't as efficient.

would it be better to buy a crate motor or would it be better to rebuild a motor. I got a guy who has a 5.7 out of a durange and he only wants a 1k for the entrier truck. that would give me the motor and computer system. but still need to rebuild the motor. what would you all do.

Depending on the quality of the parts you get and various other options it can get very expensive fast. Here is a very beginner style list I've been putting together for my own swap. This is only partial, so don't quote me on that.
Engine-1000-2000 for good running condition(I already have a 545rfe transmission)
ECU - 200-800 depending on where you go(I already have one)
TTI Headers - 762
Oil Pan(milodon mid sump) - 239
TTI motor mounts-265
Gas tank/sending unit and new straps - 555(sending unit setup for 500-1000hp)
Durango 45 degree ofh adapter - 85
Wiring harness - 1031-If you cant make your own
Radiator - 765
Radiator fan(electric) - 239(3000 cfm)
Transmission mount - $$??? has to be made/haven't found one that you can just order yet.
Driveshaft - 200-500 custom made
Rear end - 500-1000 depending on which one you get
Exhaust after the manifolds-300-1000 depending
Torsion bars/shock if you need to upgrade - 500-1000

These are just basic requirements for the swap and doesn't include any labor you may have to pay someone for. Each swap final price is going to be different based of what you have ad where you find deals for things. But 7-10k would be a good start point as far as a guess at final price.

Who has a part number or year range for the Jeep Grand Cherokee Manifolds?

Damn Joe , I gotta start hiding my invoices better!! You pretty well nailed it!:finga:
Retroron

Front end upgrade is not necessary, even if you want power steering. That is a huge wad of cash you can keep.

would it be better to buy a crate motor or would it be better to rebuild a motor. I got a guy who has a 5.7 out of a durange and he only wants a 1k for the entrier truck. that would give me the motor and computer system. but still need to rebuild the motor. what would you all do.
I'd stay away from a motor you know you'd have to rebuild. Lots of them out there with auxiliary chamber evacuation passages.

I don't know how most of these rebuilders are- but a handful of outfits wanted less for rebuilts than the JYs wanted for runners here a year or two ago. When we were looking for a motor for a Hemi car $800 would only buy motors with valve issues at best. Sure seems like a better idea to spend up on a known good motor or a rebuilt with a good warranty from a reputable outfit.

I've heard a bit about using 4.7 computers, etc with 5.7s. There could be a significant savings involved there since NLR WJ Grand Cherokees, Dakotas, and Durangos are fairly common and cheap compared to Hemi vehicles even as computer/harness/trans donors. These are all very close stock to what most people want their old motors to be. The Magnums, SBs, and Bs have the potential, but you're going to have a list of aftermarket parts that in most of their cases will cost more than the motor or the donor to do though the high propriety pieces aren't necessary.

I suppose the big question is ultimately what you want out of it. As many prices have been quoted here, they seem a little on the high side to me, but they also sound like pretty complete builds that are designed to put down some good numbers. I had a carb'd 3g Hemi sitting in my frame rails running down the road for under $5k, but it was just that. Nothing pretty, nothing special, just a different engine in the engine bay than the car had it in. I used the same transmission, the same radiator, the same rear end and everything that I had in the car and it worked just fine. Aside from dropping the engine in about the only other things I needed to add were an standalone MSD to run the spark and an electric fuel pump to supply the carb. However, I will admit that this particular setup does not take as much advantage of the Hemi's capabilities as a more complete swap with fuel injection/overdrive transmission/etc.

thank you everyone for the information and thoughts.. this give me a lot to think about and a place to start from..

-
Back