***"Herb'sParts" paint??***

-

65Val

Average Length Member
Reaction score
Anyone use "Herb's Parts" paint? I understand it used to be sold under the "MoPaint" name? Anyone have experience with it? How did it match your color? I'm mostly interested in the interior "Copper" they have for 1967.

[ame]https://www.herbsparts.com/documents/HerbsParts_InteriorPaintColorChart.pdf[/ame]

PAINT-1.jpg

I still have 3 cans of the Mopaints 1967 Copper interior dye/paint! The guy from Mopaints sure knew his stuff, I believe he worked in the interior dye division of Chrysler, or so he told me anyway!! If he passed on his recipe, I would think it was good!!!

I used Herbs interior paint on my '73 Power Wagon interior with excellent results!!! I will definitely use it again. The steering wheel was also done and it hasn't worn at all and it was done over a year ago.

Attachments

• IMG_20150314_153254391.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_20160315_114705373.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 346
I still have 3 cans of the Mopaints 1967 Copper interior dye/paint! The guy from Mopaints sure knew his stuff, I believe he worked in the interior dye division of Chrysler, or so he told me anyway!! If he passed on his recipe, I would think it was good!!!

Geof...how did it match the "Copper Dust" interior color for '67

I used the green paint to dye a black dash pad green and it worked great.....Best way to describe it is, it sprays and goes on like regular spray paint, but penetrates and colors like a dye

Great customer service and the paint is high quality. Only problem for me was they don't carry B7 blue for my interior.

Geof...how did it match the "Copper Dust" interior color for '67

It looks really good....too good, as my interior is all original and not as bright as the copper dust dyed parts! I think the cans have a shelf life so I'm not sure they're any good anymore!! I'll try one on an armrest pad and pic it against my door panels and post it here!!

It looks really good....too good, as my interior is all original and not as bright as the copper dust dyed parts! I think the cans have a shelf life so I'm not sure they're any good anymore!! I'll try one on an armrest pad and pic it against my door panels and post it here!!

Geof.....any progress here? Thanks.

What kind of prep work needs to be done before spraying ?

I wash the part with warm water and soap, dry it, wipe it down with acid toner, let it dry. I apply 3-5 coats with 3 minutes dry time between coats. Herbs interior paint gets into every nook and cranny!

According to the Mopaints guy, you need to completely clean the part with lacquer thinner before spraying them! Anything else leaves a film on the piece and won't allow bonding of the dye! And, it does not stick to vinyl, so if you're trying to dye a new part that was made with a vinyl based material, you're outta luck!!

I used it and think it turned out great. Now just need the paint code for the metel part of the dash.

20160811_140023-1.jpg

20160811_142740-1.jpg

20160811_144503-1.jpg

According to the Mopaints guy, you need to completely clean the part with lacquer thinner before spraying them! Anything else leaves a film on the piece and won't allow bonding of the dye! And, it does not stick to vinyl, so if you're trying to dye a new part that was made with a vinyl based material, you're outta luck!!

I do some vinyl dye work on older Lincolns at the shop I'm working at (hey gotta keep learning stuff or I'd get fatter and die) and he washes each one with soapy (dawn) water and then hits it with a quick clean with lacquer thinner to use his special water based dyes.

He says "it opens the pores up so the dye bonds much better than just cleaning it with soapy water" I've been working there for over a year and never had a call back from his dye work. I did my dash pad(using SEMS paint) after it was recovered and was not able to rub anything off no matter how hard I tried.

I bought a can of Herb's Crimson Red paint from them at the Mopar Nats. The counter guy at the trailer told me to clean the parts with acetone. I haven't used it yet so have no results to report.

I have used Herbs paints a few times and wash them with Dawn soapy water, then wipe them with Acetone or Lacquer thinner before paint and it has never given me any issues.

-
Back